Rotary Vise Hack

ceviche

I’ve been meaning to post this rotary vise hack I figured out many years ago. This is great for those beginner and intermediate fly tiers wanting a cam-jaw rotary vise but can’t afford something like a Renzetti. Check out these two webpages:

You can actually swap out these vise jaws and keep your cash outlay less than for a Renzetti Traveller. Yes, the screw that mounts the jaw onto the vise works with no problem. It passes through the existing hole in the vise and holds the jaws in place. The only issue is that the jaw will float a little in the seat. Other than that, no real problemo.

So, what’s it all come to?
$60 for the vise.
$80 for the jaws.
$140 total.

Yeah, the cam jaws costs more than the rest of the vise, but the lever lock is pretty darn sweet and is the whole point of the hack.

Cheers!

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the info, in interested. I'm still thinking about a rotary upgrade, but I'm getting used to tying new stuff on my old vice now so not so sure, still looking and thinking.

redband02

I tied with non-rotary Regal vises for 30 or so years and did well. I have tried a couple of true rotary vises in the past but found them more trouble than they were worth, especially throwing a half hitch before using the rotary function. I finally upgraded to a rotating Regal Medallion vise (not true rotary but the head rotates 360 so I can see the otherside of the fly). I feel like I saved a lot of money over the years keeping my old non-rotary vises and becoming a good tier on them. You need to know also that I am an old luddite and kind of set my ways.

A/L/D

Great to know for later.

I got the EZ Rotary vise a few weeks ago. I have been very pleased with tying with it, such a huge upgrade over the cheap begineer kit vise I had.

ceviche

whats wrong with the lever lock on the ez rotary vise?

The original jaws on my EZ didn't have a lever lock. I decided to upgrade to the Renzetti for the single-action lever and also the shape and size of the tip of the midge jaws. At the time, I was exploring tying with hooks in the #16 and #18 range. The stock jaws weren't fine enough at the tip for my still evolving skills.

ceviche

I tied with non-rotary Regal vises for 30 or so years and did well. I have tried a couple of true rotary vises in the past but found them more trouble than they were worth, especially throwing a half hitch before using the rotary function. I finally upgraded to a rotating Regal Medallion vise (not true rotary but the head rotates 360 so I can see the otherside of the fly). I feel like I saved a lot of money over the years keeping my old non-rotary vises and becoming a good tier on them. You need to know also that I am an old luddite and kind of set my ways.

If Harry Lemire were still alive, he'd be chuckling at the both of us.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
There is a cult of fly tiers that dont use a vise, and some would say Harry was a cheating buy using a clamp to set the hook in as seen in the picture. Adrian on Spey Pages just posted a thread where he was gifted some hooks with a challenge to tie on them. So he started with the smallest set of hooks.
A size 24 was the smallest, classic Atlantic salmon fly on a size 24, all with out a vise. It is well worth the look, a truly talented tier and probably in the top 5 in the US.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
There is a cult of fly tiers that dont use a vise, and some would say Harry was a cheating buy using a clamp to set the hook in as seen in the picture. Adrian on Spey Pages just posted a thread where he was gifted some hooks with a challenge to tie on them. So he started with the smallest set of hooks.
A size 24 was the smallest, classic Atlantic salmon fly on a size 24, all with out a vise. It is well worth the look, a truly talented tier and probably in the top 5 in the US.

That is friggen unreal. Just incredible.

P-FITZ98

Harry L. was an amazing man. He was a great friend to my mentor who has many of his flies, truly beautiful and even more so due to the fact he tied everything in hand.

ceviche

Here’s the original jaws from my vise. No cam lock. Nothing but a screw in the backend. Know what I mean? AD3815C2-97C5-48EF-8E9C-3BC1C327C63B.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts