Skagit heads and swinging wet flies

Zack Dougan

Pretty much all there is to do with a real skagit head. They’re designed to be short and heavy so that you can throw heavy flies. Heavy flies sink. Mass moves mass. You CAN use a floating tip on a regular skagit to fish a skater but it’s far from delicate. Now “micro” skagit heads like OPST can be used with a small floating tip and can fish a wet or dry. I only really use my 11’3” 4wt Trout Spey for summer steelhead and I throw a 300gr OPST with the 7.5ft micro float tip and I can skate flies and fish wet flies. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Joe52

I have a SA Spey lite skagit head, 240 gr on a Loomis IMX 3wt. How diff do you think that and a floating line be than an appropriate scandi head?
thx

Zack Dougan

I have a SA Spey lite skagit head, 240 gr on a Loomis IMX 3wt. How diff do you think that and a floating line be than an appropriate scandi head?
thx
Looks like the SA skagit lite 240gr is 13’ and with a 10ft floating mow/opst tip your head would be 23’ in length, which is the same length as Rio’s Scandi Body 325 grain which fits my rod but would be a little heavy on yours. I really liked using my opst with the float tip where I fish as I don’t need a long scandi head but I do need some delicacy. I also use some old cheap 4wt floating line as my running line. A true graveyard setup but she gets the job done!

Zack Dougan

Random side note but I noticed the 10ft medium floating MOW tips are basically the same as a 200gr OPST(also 10ft) just without the slightest taper. I used them both on my 5wt single hander and they felt the exact same. Kinda funny

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts