Newbie question.

Johnathon Quarrell

Decided to forego a full rod build and just modify an old 6wt with a new grip and fighting butt. I’ve figured out most everything I need to do except one issue. I’m attempting to reuse my old reel seat since it’s in good shape however, the new full wells grip hood is slightly larger than the reel seat insert. I know I can shim the seat with masking tape to the rod blank but where the grip comes over the seat good is slightly loose. Can this be shimmed? Should I just order a new reel seat or grip? I’d prefer to shim this thing to avoid having to figure what size reel seat to order. I know I will end up buying 2-3 reel seats and I’d like to avoid that. Thanks for any suggestions.

John

image.jpg

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
If the hardware slips all the way tight so the front "welt" is up against the bottom of the cork grip I think I would just fill the void with Rod Bond as you glue on the reel seat. As you push it in you'll have to clean up the excess as it oozes out. The gap doesn't look to be to big from the picture. I would not add tape to shim it, just the rod bond to fill.

Johnathon Quarrell

If the hardware slips all the way tight so the front "welt" is up against the bottom of the cork grip I think I would just fill the void with Rod Bond as you glue on the reel seat. As you push it in you'll have to clean up the excess as it oozes out. The gap doesn't look to be to big from the picture. I would not add tape to shim it, just the rod bond to fill.
Thank you Mike, very helpful information. I thing the reel seat is very close to bottoming out in the grip but I will double check.

yellowlab03

That's what I'd do. I'd tape the seat and the grips to make sure no epoxy runs out and gets on them. That will be a mess to clean up!

Johnathon Quarrell

Thank you for the replies! Installing grip this evening and hopefully the reel seat as well. Is spilling epoxy on the grip a big no no or does it clean relatively easy? I’ll be using flex coat builders epoxy.

john

Scudley Do Right

Thank you for the replies! Installing grip this evening and hopefully the reel seat as well. Is spilling epoxy on the grip a big no no or does it clean relatively easy? I’ll be using flex coat builders epoxy.

john
It might discolor it even after you clean it of. I would back wrap it with masking tape, sticky side out. If you don't back wrap it you might pull cork filler out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts