Albacore 2020?

SilverFly

Some tying reference material gleaned from a NOAA website. Squid all look pretty similar so it likely doesn't matter, but if one were to obsess, the primary albacore prey species would be the "boreal clubhook" squid. Also some good pics of mackerel and sardine.

target-species-clubhook-squid.jpg
screen-shot-2019-06-27-at-1.52.50-pm.png
borealclubhook-juv.png

Last edited:

NRC

WFF Supporter
Some good reports out of Garibaldi today...

View attachment 249365
We swapped to groundfish for our 8/1 trip out of Westport as the known concentrations of tuna were still just a little too far south and west after things slowed down last week. Lotsa fun pulling up limits of lings and rockfish with cap’n Nick (although we were not a very salty crew and had two people totally out of commission with seasickness). Definitely a nice preview for a tuna trip next year, fingers crossed!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I hit Garibaldi yesterday. Disclaimer: The 12wt didn't make it out of the rod storage like most my trips.

The troll bite was NOT on. Like, at all. We got to about the 124.5 line and put troll rods out and got a drive by almost immediately. Saw a few things on the sounder so dropped iron on them and got two in the box. The fish that ate the iron were down about 60-80 feet.

Trolled around until about 1pm with nothing after that. Just ghost town. Trolled north a ways and found cleaner water and bait (at around the 125 line and due west of Garibaldi). Started marking fish on the sounder so stopped the boat and pitched the iron. Multiple hookups and fish in the box. Rinse and repeat: A few triples, a few missed fish, a few jumpers converted to meat in the box.

Full moon definitely made it an afternoon game. Couldn't buy a fish on the troll and really only had fish above 50' or so when we saw the jumpers. Otherwise we were trusting the electronics and finding them.

Ended with 14 in the box, but a large grade of fish. Small ones in the 15ish pound range, and a few in the 20-30lb range.

The best jig was my 100g blue coltsniper twitching on the fall. That was almost 100% when fish were there.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Things died for almost a week out of Westport. We had to convert a bunch of tuna trips to Bottomfish. Yesterday all 4 of our boats ran for tuna. We all caught some fish but it wasnt great.

Today 3 of the 4 boats converted back to Bottomfish but my crew were dead set on tuna so I ran solo. Its strange being that far offshore and being the only boat out there.

Didn't touch a thing till after lunch when we finally found them and it blew wide open for us. Almost a 2 hour baitstop. Pretty epic.

Long run, but they should be moving closer in the next few days.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Long run, but they should be moving closer in the next few days.
I know it doesn't help your situation directly, but on the way out we ran over a really abrupt temp break at about the 124.3 line. Went from mid 50s straight up to 62 and cleared up. We were very tempted to drop gear, but figured we'd look for life as we continued on to our destination. On the way back we ran over that line again and water was 66 degrees. Just watched it climb stupid fast on the screen. Talked to a few folks at the docks that hit fish in there.

That was 15mi closer than where we got most our fish.

SilverFly

I know it doesn't help your situation directly, but on the way out we ran over a really abrupt temp break at about the 124.3 line. Went from mid 50s straight up to 62 and cleared up. We were very tempted to drop gear, but figured we'd look for life as we continued on to our destination. On the way back we ran over that line again and water was 66 degrees. Just watched it climb stupid fast on the screen. Talked to a few folks at the docks that hit fish in there.

That was 15mi closer than where we got most our fish.
Might be asking for trouble fishing a cold break that close in. 58-60 degree water is what they've been catching the big (100-240#) bluefin out of Monterey. Those fish have now moved north to Half Moon bay in similar temps. Just say'n.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Might be asking for trouble fishing a cold break that close in. 58-60 degree water is what they've been catching the big (100-240#) bluefin out of Monterey. Those fish have now moved north to Half Moon bay in similar temps. Just say'n.
For sure. The bluefin always seem to be inside of the albacore. But this water was warmer than what we were fishing the rest the day. Out at the 125 line it was like 62ish, then that line inside got up to 68 before dropping again.

SilverFly

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts