Albacore 2020?

Mems

I have the Shimano trevella spin and jig rods. I have the heavy models to 200lbs. I lost two big ahi over 150lbs in succession on those rods. The rod didn’t fail, but the swivel did on one and the other one cut me off on the buoy. Trevella rods and torium and spheres reels are my go to conventional set ups. You can’t break those rods. Gary Loomis designed that blank for shimano and I have the Edge rods that have much nicer components but for the money you can’t beat the trevella rods much better than the over priced terez rods.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
GT poppers are probably too big to get hit by albacore. Striper poppers on the other hand... I have a few of those!

If in the right mood a 12 lb albacore would annihilate one of those things. Ive seen them smash 12" marlin lures like they're nothing. Ive also seen them puke up 15" saurie and cut whole mackerel out of their stomachs. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for a popper but they would most definitely eat one.

In other news another one of our boats caught a blue fin today. That leaves me as the only one who hasn't caught one this year.

Tacoma Red

If in the right mood a 12 lb albacore would annihilate one of those things. Ive seen them smash 12" marlin lures like they're nothing. Ive also seen them puke up 15" saurie and cut whole mackerel out of their stomachs. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for a popper but they would most definitely eat one.

In other news another one of our boats caught a blue fin today. That leaves me as the only one who hasn't caught one this year.

Next Tuesday

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I've had enough tuna eat clones/cedar plugs that skip across the surface (almost every time I'm out now that I think about it.... i watch a lot of troll eats happen). A popper eat is well within the realm of possibilities.

mr. bad example

I have the Shimano trevella spin and jig rods. I have the heavy models to 200lbs. I lost two big ahi over 150lbs in succession on those rods. The rod didn’t fail, but the swivel did on one and the other one cut me off on the buoy. Trevella rods and torium and spheres reels are my go to conventional set ups. You can’t break those rods. Gary Loomis designed that blank for shimano and I have the Edge rods that have much nicer components but for the money you can’t beat the trevella rods much better than the over priced terez rods.
I wished I had known about the "edge " rods my Trevalla was my go to meat rod when in Belize but it had to be put down after some of the guides went south.... so I bought the terez and stuck a big shimano saragosa reel on it.waiting to find out how i like it .

SilverFly

Update. Capt Randy who we will be fishing with next week (looks like rockfish weather tomorrow :( ) found 23 tuners yesterday at 124.50 out of Garibaldi. Thought that was a misprint but he confirmed it wasn't. Shockingly close given the latest (9/3) chlorophyll shot I could dig up:

20200905_211928.jpg

Tacoma Red

When is the usual prime-time tuna season out of Westport? I realize that changes all the time, year-to-year, but generally what are your experiences?
I’ve now had 2 charter cancellations due to weather and I’m worried by the time I can get on a boat it might not be worth it even in ideal weather conditions.

Bob Smith

WFF Supporter
This can be the time of the year that albacore move into off color/dirtier water - thus the term "green water hogs" which I think was originally coined by Bat Batsford, founder of the Bay Area Tuna Club and one of the original small boat tuna pioneers. Folks are starting find albacore in the not so clean water up and down the Oregon coast into Northern California these past few days. My buddy got them in turquoise 62 degree water 40 nm out of Brookings a few days ago.

Also, the large closed low forecast to move up off the Oregon/Washington coast will produce surface southerlies which help clean up and push the tuna water toward the coastline. I think the remainder of September could be spectacular for tuna chasers.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Update. Capt Randy who we will be fishing with next week (looks like rockfish weather tomorrow :( ) found 23 tuners yesterday at 124.50 out of Garibaldi. Thought that was a misprint but he confirmed it wasn't. Shockingly close given the latest (9/3) chlorophyll shot I could dig up:

View attachment 253170
The Ripcharts shot is a bit more detailed. but if you look just a bit SWW of Garibaldi inside the 125, notice the blue dots in there? It was pretty damn clean water in there yesterday from the folks I talked to. My uncle asked me which coordinates to hit yesterday and I gave him that area and he did well.

I'm hoping next Saturday works out. Looking mighty nice in the forecast at the moment. If it stays, I'll be out there.

SilverFly

The Ripcharts shot is a bit more detailed. but if you look just a bit SWW of Garibaldi inside the 125, notice the blue dots in there? It was pretty damn clean water in there yesterday from the folks I talked to. My uncle asked me which coordinates to hit yesterday and I gave him that area and he did well.

I'm hoping next Saturday works out. Looking mighty nice in the forecast at the moment. If it stays, I'll be out there.
Yeah, it wasn't a misprint. He said it wasn't "blue" blue, but pretty clear and the tuna were there.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
GOTY CHOVY

Popper for tuna. One single eye on the bottom for the fish to see as it looks wounded on the surface. Basically just @Nick Clayton's pattern with a few changes because I needed to tie something called the GOTY CHOVY and not get sued for patent infringement.

MVIMG_20200910_101703.jpg

MVIMG_20200910_101729.jpg

B

bennysbuddy

We were paid a visit by the Coast Guard offshore today. We even talked them into a photo op.

Funny enough, the guy is the son of my friend and neighbor and I've fished coho off the beaches with him many times.

Awfully smoky out there today!
that's a small skiff to be off shore in.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info