Albacore 2020?

SilverFly

The only issues I've had with troll hookups have been using large circle hooks... and not holding a loop. All my flies, even the tube versions are tied "normally" with a hook up front.

Come to think of it, I did try a shank fly a few years ago and missed a strike. Dont remember if that was trolled or retrieved.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I too noticed that the hook in the stinger position was not getting it done. I think it had more than 3 missed hits too. Regardless, its interesting because @bk paige fished a stinger fly tied by @DenWor54 for two days last month and it absolutely crushed fished. I dont remember any missed grabs. Wonder if they were attacking in a different fashion last month
Super interesting. Small sample size of course but the the time I brought back just gills was on that exact same bug, also tied by DenWor. That is when I took it off and went back to other stuff, because I remembered the speech to the gear dudes that if the hook hits the gills you messed up and will lose the fish. Seems like a change in behavior. I think this will be the core subject matter for chapter 14 in my book.

Also important to note this fly non stinger style was good. Dennis' pattern is obviously a winner.

Screenshot_20200914-215923~2.png

Last edited:

DenWor54

I don’t no if it makes a difference but the fly I gave Brian was and up eye, and the fly I tied for GOTY was an ahrex straight eye and when I pulled it of the vise I noticed it was a little longer and heavier which appeared to not stay in line with the shank. If it was me put a size smaller hook that is a gami up eye and I bet it will track and hook better. On a troll put the fly in the water and see if it’s tracking right if not make an adjustment. Back in the day playing around with yellowfin this was important and we tried all kinds of fly styles and a fly that tracked right worked better and if it rolled over and twisted missed a lot of fish. I have not caught an albacore yet but my commercial albacore buddy has played around with some of my ties and now his captain wants more which I will only trade for bluefin loins and belly, which they got a couple this with one on a fly I tied.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Looks like we may be hitting the possible end here. I think after this weekend things are going to blow up, and this is the time of year where that can push them away for good.

I got an invite on a friend's boat tomorrow, then am going to do one last trip on my own Sunday (Saturday seems like fog will be an issue and I don't have radar). Fingers crossed that it lasts just a little bit longer.

12wt is going to be deployed tomorrow, btw.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Looks like we may be hitting the possible end here. I think after this weekend things are going to blow up, and this is the time of year where that can push them away for good.
Blow up how? As in the warm water of the accessible tuna grounds will disperse?

Joepa

Joe from PA

I got an invite on a friend's boat tomorrow, then am going to do one last trip on my own Sunday (Saturday seems like fog will be an issue and I don't have radar). Fingers crossed that it lasts just a little bit longer.

I'm going to be fishing this weekend on a friends boat out of Westport. Gear trip, but I'll bring my 12wt. We're hearing fish are out pretty far though. We're running Sat and Sunday. I haven't been out yet this year so I'm looking forward to it.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
A great resources is the "Tuna Fishers" data perspective from NANOOS (Northwest Association of Networked Ocean Observing Systems). One of the maps that they produce uses their remote sensing data to combining sea surface temperature and surface currents. You can run forward projections as well. Unfortunately, there is a glitch with the chlorophyll data.
In today's map, there appears to be a tight band of warm water (low 60's) off the mouth of the Columbia at about -124.50W longitude (about 25 miles from Ilwaco). There is a patch of slightly cooler water (bouncing around 60) farther offshore of Westport (about -125.25W). To reach the 62-63o water from Westport, you need to travel a few miles (maybe 40-50 miles) west of -125.00W longitude (but it is a sharp band of warm water).
Steve

Last edited:

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
A great resources is the "Tuna Fishers" data perspective from NANOOS (Northwest Association of Networked Ocean Observing Systems). One of the maps that they produce uses their remote sensing data to combining sea surface temperature and surface currents. You can run forward projections as well. Unfortunately, there is a glitch with the chlorophyll data.
In today's map, there appears to be a tight band of warm water (low 60's) off the mouth of the Columbia at about -124.50W longitude (about 25 miles from Ilwaco). There is a party of slightly cooler water (bouncing around 60) farther offshore of Westport (about -125.25W). To reach the 62-63o water from Westport, you need to travel a few miles (maybe 40-50 miles) west of -125.00W longitude (but it is a sharp band of warm water).
Steve
guess where i'll be tomorrow (along with everyone else since OTC kicks off)

SilverFly

NO! Tuna season is NOT over, and you will stop saying such blasphemous things right now mister! ;)

SilverFly

Just posted an appropriate reel for tuna in the classifieds.
Already have one and love it. It's one seriously BFR though. Looks OK on the 14wt but planning on adding a 15 or 16wt to the arsenal which would be a better match. Next reel on my list is the Gulfstream.

Albula

swollen member
Already have one and love it. It's one seriously BFR though. Looks OK on the 14wt but planning on adding a 15 or 16wt to the arsenal which would be a better match. Next reel on my list is the Gulfstream.
Let me take a look. I may have at least one of those.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter

I'll bet it'd look (and balance) just fine on my 8'2" Seele glass 12wt....just sayin' haha! I almost called to you to force you to take that rod to get some tuna stank on it but looks like that week just wasn't meant to be by anyone anywhere....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts