Albacore 2020?

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Blow up how? As in the warm water of the accessible tuna grounds will disperse?
Yeah, it's not looking quite as bad now and it's at least coming from the south which means it could be ok. Huge blow up happening Wednesday. This time of year, a big blow up like that can push everything out of reach for the rest of the season, but it typically takes a north wind to do that.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Yesterday was deadsville. I was on a buddy's boat with 6 anglers and we got 1 troll fish and 1 jig fish. No bait stops happened for us or any other boats on the chatter. Think top boat yesterday for OTC was 10 fish.

I think my tuna gear is going to get buttoned up and stored for next year. There's been good days, but it's so hot and cold that my tuna budget needs to be diverted elsewhere for now.

Last edited:

SilverFly

That sucks. Offshore smoke is gone and it's a new moon so there goes my "enhanced nocturnal feeding through aerosol diffused lighting" theory. Sounds like they are still out there but staying deep.

SilverFly

Someone got a 6' Mako yesterday out of WP. Heard of others as well. Throw in the recent thresher and salmon shark encounters and I'd be tempted to run a straight up FF shark trip if tuna is still a bust in 2 weeks.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Some of the best fishing of the season has occurred the last handful of days. Today we were full up and headed back by noon.

I strongly believe the season will continue after this big blow.
Yeah the big blow is going to be coming from the south for the most part, so that should help. The forecast doesn't show the ocean calming back down to small boat-capable for the foreseeable future though. If we do get another window, I'll be out there.

SilverFly

I have been waiting for a report to see how it went yesterday..

Very tough fishing for everyone out there yesterday but at least they were all good grade fish.

We hit two troll fish early. One on a mackerel fly tied with olive grizzly hackle and some green bucktail that Cabezon was dragging. And about 2 seconds later the "Kraken" squid fly got hit by a hefty albacore that had my imagination fired up for a few seconds.

After the first two fish it was deadsville until 2 or 3PM. We hit a few more troll fish with one or two legit cast/retrieve fly fish on each. The last stop we actually had them boiling for about 20 min (amazing considering we still had some live herring which is all the bait dock had). Think we put 3 onboard before the timer was up and had to head for the barn. Kudos to Capt Nick for maximizing our time and putting us on fish in on a tough day.

Other flies that worked were a small articulated squid (not mine), and a mackerel pattern of mine that the fish Nick posted ate as I was headed up to the bow as we were sliding to a stop. "WTF, why is my line tight?... doh!".

One other thing of note is Cabezon broke the dry spell when he was stripping in to check the fly when a fish boiled on it in the propwash. He reactively set, missed the fish, and wrapped the fly on a rail stantion on the port side where I was standing and BS'ing with Nick over the top of the cabin. I got the fly loose, he chucked it back into the propwash and immediately hooked up. That fish hit only 2 rod lengths aft!

We did troll a black and purple cedar plug most of the day but all fish were on flies (IIRC). Only lost 2 to pulled hooks and ended the day with 9 total.

Back out tomorrow, so hoping for better reports today. I'll be dragging the "Kraken" fly again on my 14wt. Now rigged with a 100# crimped shock leader... just in case. Probably should be 200#, but I'd rather hook a big BFT, and lose it, than not hook one at all.

Last edited:

SilverFly

BTW, in spite of only catching a fraction of the August trip, once again, our short crew of 4 fly fishers were on par with the bait boats.

So strange, and nice for a change to be getting thumbs up and legit compliments from other captains and deckies when walking up the dock. Not that fly fishers were necessarily pariahs in the tuna fleet before, but it's safe to say we're being taken seriously now.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info