Albacore 2020?

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Please put me on the list for a day, if something opens up.. I have a 10wt, but that's probably under gunned, so if I get a spot then I would start shopping for a 12wt or borrow one. This has been on my list for a long time, and I'll put some money aside just in case!!

SilverFly

All right all right, things are ON for an August trip with Nick. Silverfly, Cabazon, Denwor54 and myself have booked 2 days of abuse, this is going to be so much fun!
There might be 1 spot open for 1 day and I have reached out to those that have PMed me and will go from the order I received messages. I appreciate all the inquiries and sugest talking to the othe members and plan a trip, whats the worst that can happen!

Wow, gotta say I'm stoked at the responses and great to have a trip booked already.

SilverFly

With the resurrection of last year's (2019) albacore thread, I figured a bump was in order. Not that it's not worth reviewing, just don't want to mix things up with current info and trip planning.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Some interesting perspective from down south. Sketchy reports of albacore in SoCal, which have been absent down there for years, has many jonesing for the good old days. Basically jealous the albacore fishery that we have. They'll really be hating us if we get good numbers of bluefin too. Yeah, must suck to get sick of catching big bluefin tuna :rolleyes: .
(thread title: Albacore please show up)
Don't tell me if we can fish we have to settle on that 40 to 300 lb BFT. I will release them all as I can not stomach one more bowl of Poke or a Fat Toro roll. Please NO

Boo freaking hoo!

Liking this albacore recipe though:
I’d be so down for some seared albacore topped with white onion and ponzu!
plus i have a shit load of jigs and feathers i’d love to break out!!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I have tried them in the past withbout success. Its no big deal I have been sea sick probably 300 times in my life. I just let out the demon and get back to fishing. The last time at west port I didnt herl but could have at any time, so maybe im getting my sea legs. I was around 12 or 13 when I stopped getting sick in PS, but the swells off the coast get me still. I puked in Mexico 1 day and was sick the other days, but Costa Rica was so calm I didnt get queasy at all! That was the only time in the big blue I didnt get sick.

SilverFly

I have tried them in the past withbout success. Its no big deal I have been sea sick probably 300 times in my life. I just let out the demon and get back to fishing. The last time at west port I didnt herl but could have at any time, so maybe im getting my sea legs. I was around 12 or 13 when I stopped getting sick in PS, but the swells off the coast get me still. I puked in Mexico 1 day and was sick the other days, but Costa Rica was so calm I didnt get queasy at all! That was the only time in the big blue I didnt get sick.
Well, let's hope for a day like this. Early October last year!

1590349877803.png

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hi BKP,
Garlic pills can help settle your stomach. The key to scopolamine patches is to have them on an hour or more before you head out on the water. It takes time for the drug to be absorbed and the inner ear nervous system to be tamped down.
Steve

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Hi BKP,
Garlic pills can help settle your stomach. The key to scopolamine patches is to have them on an hour or more before you head out on the water. It takes time for the drug to be absorbed and the inner ear nervous system to be tamped down.
Steve

My DR said to put it on the night before, didn't work. Tried dramamine and something else. I tried ginger as I heard it helps but no luck. Its no big deal, I consider myself a professional puker!

mbowers

My DR said to put it on the night before, didn't work. Tried dramamine and something else. I tried ginger as I heard it helps but no luck. Its no big deal, I consider myself a professional puker!
I think time on the water helps a lot. Maybe book a whale watching 1/2 day trip the day before? You'll get cheaper sea time and if you puke it will be on a whale watcher and not a fisherman! :)

SilverFly

Bumping the albacore thread to keep trip planning reality, separate from the quasi-fantasy of the bluefin thread.

So here's a PSA for anyone who wants to fish albacore this year, but doesn't have plans in place yet. "Tuna" season is coming up, possibly within the month. When the first are caught, charters will book quickly. Anyone even remotely interested should learn from my mistake last year of putting off planning until mid-season. I had a rough time getting out twice. Not the case this year (might have to sell a kidney).

Anyway, step one with charters is having a like-minded (fly or fly-friendly) crew ready to split the cost. That's what this thread is for. Post if you're even remotely interested. Ask questions. Pick charter dates and ask who wants to go. Just make it happen.

Here's why. 14C is 57F and at the lower end of what is considered albacore water. Also note the ridge of warmer water building from the SW. This is the "tuna highway" and construction is well under way.

1591746000147.png

1591746178733.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts