Albacore 2020?

Bagman

BTW, in spite of only catching a fraction of the August trip, once again, our short crew of 4 fly fishers were on par with the bait boats.

So strange, and nice for a change to be getting thumbs up and legit compliments from other captains and deckies when walking up the dock. Not that fly fishers were necessarily pariahs in the tuna fleet before, but it's safe to say we're being taken seriously now.
Don I still have that 700 grain Airflo with me do you want to use it? I’m only bring to the boat 2 rods a13/15, which I plan on using for trolling, and a 12 wt. For cast and strip do the think I should bring a 14wt in case someOne breaks a rod and has no spare.

SilverFly

Guy I still have that 700 grain Airflo with me do you want to use it? I’m only bring to the boat 2 rods a13/15, which I plan on using for trolling, and a 12 wt. For cast and strip do the think I should bring a 14wt in case someOne breaks a rod and has no spare.
Al, Thanks but I'm good. I've got two rods rigged with that line so put it on your best outfit. I'd use the 14 for trolling big stuff and the 13 for casting. The fish yesterday we're not pushovers by any stretch. We'll have plenty of 12wts to play with but bring whatever you want.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Don I still have that 700 grain Airflo with me do you want to use it? I’m only bring to the boat 2 rods a13/15, which I plan on using for trolling, and a 12 wt. For cast and strip do the think I should bring a 14wt in case someOne breaks a rod and has no spare.

IMO I preferred my 14wt as it had a long for grip vs the full wells of my 12wt. Plus it was easier on my hands(surgery on both) but the 14 was still bent to the cork and just as fun!

Bagman

My plan was to set up two rods ready get a taste of salt water I will bring the 14 in a tube and in a travel case to keep it from rolling around. Thanks for the help. I’m sure I’m the oldest guy in the boat but I’m still Learn every day.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I have been waiting for a report to see how it went yesterday..
Slower than you hope for when you’re daydreaming through the winter, but still a solid day of offshore fly fishing the PNW.

The stuff eats pretty good too. Tuna three ways—poke, seared loin, and seared belly.

Attachments

• F2AD6370-461E-46F4-9FBB-5EAD47BCB45D.jpeg
    F2AD6370-461E-46F4-9FBB-5EAD47BCB45D.jpeg
    850.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 623897B4-734E-4E52-98CF-33636646ACF8.jpeg
    623897B4-734E-4E52-98CF-33636646ACF8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Just for reference, I always troll with a 14 wt. and carry a 12 wt. to cast if that comes into play. I haven't been out for a few years now, however.

cmann886

Could some of you Tuna fishers recommend a "blue collar" rod and reel set up? I failed to execute on the Allen Fly fishing by one get one before the 12 wt rods were all gone. I would likely only use such a set up a couple of times (I have yet to use my 10 wt.) so I would like to minimize the imapact to my fishing budget.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Apologies for the shameless plug, but @DenWor54 and I donated a bunch of tuna/salt flies for the wildfire relief fundraiser. These were crushing tuna this year. 100% of the money goes to fire relief, so go bid. At the very least bid so I don't look like a jackass with zero bids!!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Could some of you Tuna fishers recommend a "blue collar" rod and reel set up? I failed to execute on the Allen Fly fishing by one get one before the 12 wt rods were all gone. I would likely only use such a set up a couple of times (I have yet to use my 10 wt.) so I would like to minimize the imapact to my fishing budget.
TFO LT blue water and Haiden reel, or Redington behemoth, Ross CLA.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
For albacore I’d spend more on the reel than the rod. For chucking super heavy grain tips out there into the big blue I am not sure a super sophisticated rod matters so much. You need it to huck the stuff out there and not break at the rail. In between, you need a reel with a good, solid drag.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Last fly trip of the season was a ton of fun. Played with some new techniques, caught some seriously large albacore, learned a lot, and once again out fished one of our boats fishing bait.

I really want to thank all of you who have come out this season and helped me learn this under utilized fly rod fishery. I have had some truly amazing days with you folks, and have so many fond memories. I cant say enough how much it means to me to have so many of you be willing to join me for these adventures. I hope you've enjoyed your time out there even half as much as I have.

Memories from these trips will be with me for the rest of my life and will give me plenty of motivation through the winter.

I have learned so much about targeting these amazing fish with fly rods, we've changed a lot of people's outlook on this fishery, and have taken a huge step towards showing what us fly flingers can do out in the blue water.

_DSC9455-01.jpeg _DSC9444-01.jpeg _DSC9312-01.jpeg _DSC9339-02.jpeg _DSC9222-02.jpeg _DSC9399-01.jpeg 20201004_154707-01.jpeg 20201004_160412-01.jpeg DSC07940-02.jpeg

SilverFly

Last fly trip of the season was a ton of fun. Played with some new techniques, caught some seriously large albacore, learned a lot, and once again out fished one of our boats fishing bait.

I really want to thank all of you who have come out this season and helped me learn this under utilized fly rod fishery. I have had some truly amazing days with you folks, and have so many fond memories. I cant say enough how much it means to me to have so many of you be willing to join me for these adventures. I hope you've enjoyed your time out there even half as much as I have.

Memories from these trips will be with me for the rest of my life and will give me plenty of motivation through the winter.

I have learned so much about targeting these amazing fish with fly rods, we've changed a lot of people's outlook on this fishery, and have taken a huge step towards showing what us fly flingers can do out in the blue water.

View attachment 256350 View attachment 256351 View attachment 256352 View attachment 256353 View attachment 256354 View attachment 256355 View attachment 256356 View attachment 256357 View attachment 256358

I want to bounce those thanks right back to you Nick. Catching these incredible fish on flies has been done for many years, but with a few exceptions, in all that time fly fishing has remained little more than a novelty to try in a wide open bite. I too have learned a ton this year, with new revelations on every trip. Talking with Cabezon on the ride back last night we agreed that a collective note comparison with everyone is in order. From multiple standpoints of gear, techniques, flies, and observations on the water.

Really too much to list at this point, but there were two eye-openers that really stood out for me. First was just how effective it was to cast on the slide after a troll hook-up. What a great technique. We could go out and get it done, all day long with zero chum doing that. And of course, the pinnacle of the entire year, when you proved that not only will they eat a popper, but that albacore can actually be launched like a Poseidon missile.

Of course there was so much more. Subtle things that might be easy to forget but could make or break a day in difficult or unusual conditions. Which pretty much describes the whole season. That variability also highlights one of the most addictive aspects of this fishery. While it can be "simple" (troll/chum/cast/catch fish), there always seems to be some element of adaption to compensate for the unexpected. Such as having non-biting fish under the boat, that instantly grab when the engines kick on... and before the boat is moving!

The best of all is that we have clearly crossed a threshold in 2020 with this as a fly fishery. Both in generating interest on the fly side, and opening minds in the conventional gear fleet. Can't wait for next year!

Last edited:

tallguy

Looked so nice and calm out there yesterday from that photo, and those were some solid sized fish. Did you seriously try for bluefin in a special place, like the closer green water you kept mentioning, or just head to the albacore coordinates and hope for incidental bluefin on the giant pink ***** squid fly? (I so want to assign that thing a rude name, PDS, but it's not my tie..)

I also can't wait to go again, that was really fun. I never thought I seriously would look for a 12 wt, but I'll be sure to have my own gear next time. Thanks for all the motivation and psyche Silverfly, Cabezon for coordinating logistics, and to Nick for getting a fly rod boat and expertise going. It will be a long time till next year.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info