Albacore 2020?

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I am surprised you guys are not talking about the 364 lb blue fin caught out of San Diego, just one of the 60 they landed during the charter.
Since I work with fishing stuff all day for work and see photos/videos from all over... I only have energy to concentrate on the fisheries I personally participate in :D

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hey Nick,
Enjoy your well-deserved rest. Looks like a mill-pond out there. Thank you for shepherding us out to the tuna grounds this year and getting us into tons of fun. We'll be conspiring over the winter for more offshore excitement next summer.
Steve

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Ok Nick whats the story on the marlin?

I was trolling along, and looked down at my sonar and saw a real good fish mark at 60'. The kind of mark that was surely to result in a hookup. I turned around, with my hand on the throttle waiting to pull back, and watched the troll rods. Suddenly 200 yards or so directly behind the boat, clear as day, a marlin jumps way out of the water. There are a handful of sightings every year, but this was my first time seeing one.

A commercial albacore friend of ours was out in the general area and also spotted one earlier in the day.

SilverFly

Time to live bait an albacore
Sure, if they weren't all 20-30 pound pigs. Maybe if this was Kona or Cairns. The few pointy nose fish we have are all puny little stripers. Raises a good question though as to what the max bait size would be for a 150-200# marlin? Or for that matter a 150-250# bluefin?

Last edited:

Bagman

Sure, if they weren't all 20-30 pound pigs. Maybe if this was Kona or Cairns. The few pointy nose fish we have are all puny little stripers. Raises a good question though as to what the max bait size would be for a 150-200# marlin? Or for that matter a 150-250# bluefin?
For my Baja trip I bought some hand tied flys for Marlin by a guy that has fished many times for marlin. While I didn’t care to catch a marlin these flys worked for a few of the marlin that were caught. Troll with a top water hookless plug and when the marlin comes up pull in the teaser’s and put a fly in front of it.

Attachments

• F438D28D-5B0A-43AA-B338-665A64093D57.jpeg
    F438D28D-5B0A-43AA-B338-665A64093D57.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 5CF15177-B1FD-4DDA-A1E4-8D69E00E0EA7.jpeg
    5CF15177-B1FD-4DDA-A1E4-8D69E00E0EA7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

SilverFly

It seems the success of the WFF albacore crews this year has generated some interest within the conventional tuna fleet. In addition to outright fly fishing, I've been fielding some inquiries regarding flies that can be trolled or cast on conventional gear. Absolutely no reason that won't work, really well actually.

So here's a trial run on some more durable anchovy and mack flies using straight Fishair instead of the usual blend with EP or CH. A little rough but passable. I find that Fishair hold up much better but is more challenging to build an accurate profile with. Tied on 3/0 Owner Aki's.

20201010_201658.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts