Albacore 2020?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
After a week off due to weather, we ran again today. This last week was one of the worst of my life. My grandmother passed away, and on the same day got some life altering bad family news. To say I've been stressed this week is a major understatement.

The cure came today in the form of running Integrity for the first time. That's the incredible 42' beast of a boat that Mark bought over the winter and rebuilt.

Largest boat I've ever driven, and the most amazing boat I've ever driven.

October 15 and it was pretty solid albacore fishing. 23 fish of a major mixed grade. Got em on herring, got em on jigs, got em on swim baits. Pretty dang good fishing for this late in the year.

View attachment 257504View attachment 257505

Nick,
Sorry to hear about your grandmother passing and I hope everything turns out well with your family.
SF

NRC

WFF Supporter
After a week off due to weather, we ran again today. This last week was one of the worst of my life. My grandmother passed away, and on the same day got some life altering bad family news. To say I've been stressed this week is a major understatement.

The cure came today in the form of running Integrity for the first time. That's the incredible 42' beast of a boat that Mark bought over the winter and rebuilt.

October 15 and it was pretty solid albacore fishing. 23 fish of a major mixed grade. Got em on herring, got em on jigs, got em on swim baits. Pretty dang good fishing for this late in the year.

Sorry dude. My grandma passed a few weeks ago as well. Long life doesn’t necessarily make it easier - the longer someone is around, the harder to understand them being gone. All the best to you and your fam.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
That sounds like a hell of a ride, Nick! Glad you found some positives after an otherwise shitty week. Also, sounds like you guys found em when some of the other bad asses couldn't yesterday. It's not often you hear Shake and Bake scoring goose eggs.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Grandmothers. I haven't seen my grandmother on my mothers side since I was 9 years old. And on my father's side I've never seen her. But both me and my wife are great grandparents.

Sorry for your loss.

SilverFly

Nick, Sorry to hear about your grandmother and bad family news. Glad you had a good day on the ocean to take some of the sting away.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Nick, really sorry to hear about all of the news. A good day on the water is good for the soul.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Sorry for your loss Nick, lost my last GP 20+ yrs ago. That 42 sounds like a fun ride, maybe next year it will be your boat!

cmann886

Sorry that you had to deal with compound losses/unwanted changes. I certainly hope the emptiness leaves and is replaced with joyous days.

Jim Mcallister

AKA stillwater guy
Sorry to hear the bad news .A grand parent is a very important person in a persons life. my GP's were the foundation of the family,and when the were gone things were not the same.I wasn't able to do tuna this year,but my usual skipper didn,t do well with only 11 for 6 trips.My day of good fortune was a 4 lb blackmouth off of coopers point in June on my 6wt.Now I,am ready for the chums.

SilverFly

Just a reminder, only 7 months until next albacore season! We still need to do a reader's digest review of the incredible WFF 2020 Tuna Smack Down. Busy time of year, I know but might be good to write down some notes and observations before we forget.

Here are a few, possibly interchangeable, categories that come to mind. Throw anything you have that might be of use in 2021. We can sort through it all over the next couple months when we aren't catching winter steelhead:

(1) What worked
(2) What didn't work
(3) Lesson's learned (what not to do, mistakes, goofs)
(4) Albacore FF hacks
(5) Surprises
(6) Cool observations
(7) Notes on trip preparation
(8) Gear recommendations
(9) Rigging
(10) Techniques
(11) Fly patterns
(12) What do I do with all this tuna

SilverFly

Just a reminder, only 7 months until next albacore season! We still need to do a reader's digest review of the incredible WFF 2020 Tuna Smack Down. Busy time of year, I know but might be good to write down some notes and observations before we forget.

Here are a few, possibly interchangeable, categories that come to mind. Throw anything you have that might be of use in 2021. We can sort through it all over the next couple months when we aren't catching winter steelhead:

(1) What worked
(2) What didn't work
(3) Lesson's learned (what not to do, mistakes, goofs)
(4) Albacore FF hacks
(5) Surprises
(6) Cool observations
(7) Notes on trip preparation
(8) Gear recommendations
(9) Rigging
(10) Techniques
(11) Fly patterns
(12) What do I do with all this tuna

I'll start...

(1) What Worked:

<a> Casting aft, parallel to the boat immediately after a troll hookup. This turned out to be very successful and a great technique since it could be done with zero chum on board.

<b> Kicking the motors into gear with non-biting fish under the boat. Several times this triggered bites when we were ready to search for fresh schools.

<c> Poppers! Score one for Nick's observational powers, massive experience, and general fishiness. He was dead-nuts correct that a surface fly producing a gentle V-wake would drive albacore crazy ... although not sure he expected to launch one like a Poseidon missile.

Feel free to tag on...

<d> (edit: just remembered) Buck tailing in the propwash! OK, not technically fly fishing but @cabezon had some exciting hits in the foam only a few rod lengths of the stern.

<e>

Last edited:

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Get a rod with a for grip, my 14wt was great as it had more grip.

You don't need to cast far, I just roll casted most of the time.

Don't high stick that rod at the boat!

You don't need a High end reel although I had em, Just need capacity for 300yrds of GSP.

I was amazed that a simple nail not worked for GSP to flyline and, even when horsing them in!

Strait 30lb flouro worked great for leader!

During a blitz get your shit in the water!

Learn how to short pump, it works amazingly!

Take a break and take some photos and enjoy the company out there. We were so focused on catching I probably missed something.

Fishing with Nick is a blast!!!

Albacore stink!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts