Albacore 2020?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
What's the status on the trips, filled? available? I wanna get IN this year. With a little advance warning, I should be able to swing it. For me, weekends are best, but with advance planning can get a weekday in there (with the understanding that things can change quickly).

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Bumping the albacore thread to keep trip planning reality, separate from the quasi-fantasy of the bluefin thread.

So here's a PSA for anyone who wants to fish albacore this year, but doesn't have plans in place yet. "Tuna" season is coming up, possibly within the month. When the first are caught, charters will book quickly. Anyone even remotely interested should learn from my mistake last year of putting off planning until mid-season. I had a rough time getting out twice. Not the case this year (might have to sell a kidney).

Anyway, step one with charters is having a like-minded (fly or fly-friendly) crew ready to split the cost. That's what this thread is for. Post if you're even remotely interested. Ask questions. Pick charter dates and ask who wants to go. Just make it happen.

Here's why. 14C is 57F and at the lower end of what is considered albacore water. Also note the ridge of warmer water building from the SW. This is the "tuna highway" and construction is well under way.

View attachment 242662

View attachment 242665
And that bright purple along the coast is coastal upwelling, bringing cold, nutrient-rich water into the photic zone. That is what turns the coastal waters green: nutrients + sunlight = phytoplankton = copepod and krill food -> baitfish -> salmon and tuna.
Steve

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Randall and Jake, I suggest you guys PM each other and start planning a trip, there is e couple others here that have shown interest and add them and make it happen.

Thats what I did and we have a group of 4 with 2 days booked with Nick.

SilverFly

What's the status on the trips, filled? available? I wanna get IN this year. With a little advance warning, I should be able to swing it. For me, weekends are best, but with advance planning can get a weekday in there (with the understanding that things can change quickly).
I'm going to assume you'll want to fish out of Garibaldi since it's so close. Three of us are planning on a multi-day trip out of Garibaldi. The fourth crew member(s) is/are tentatively in the works, but as yet undefined. We're thinking to increase our weather odds by booking a Mon-Wed-Fri. So no weekend days unless we can book Labor day and the Wed/Fri following.

Other than that, I have nothing on the books other than the Westport trip with Nick August 22nd. Several others have expressed interest, so I'm sure we can book at least one weekend trip in G-town.

SilverFly

FYI, for anyone considering a tuna trip this year. Offshore water sea surface temps are now at the lower end of the albacore scale, and there is talk of exploratory tuna runs in the works. Tuna season could begin any day now.

washngtn.c.gif

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I got sea sick just looking at that:D
Couple nice fish there, are you mooching or trolling?

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Depending on dates, I have an interest as well if folks are looking to fill a boat. I have a couple of other trips planned (mid July and early September). Outside of that, I should be able to make it work.

SilverFly

Depending on dates, I have an interest as well if folks are looking to fill a boat. I have a couple of other trips planned (mid July and early September). Outside of that, I should be able to make it work.
Would love to set something up, and may still, but as it is I'm rapidly approaching my budgetary limit with 4 trips on the books. I'd suggest combing through the thread and do a group PM with everyone who has expressed interest.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts