Albacore 2020?

SilverFly

So I finally had a slow night when I could do important stuff like research bluefin tuna migration patterns in the north Pacific. Found some newer studies that shed some light on the resurgence of BFT in Southern Cal, and what we're starting to see of our coast.

Also stumbled on some useful tidbits on albacore, including this NOAA page on albacore prey selection relative to the PDO cycle off the OR/WA coast. We are currently in a mild negative cycle which should correlate towards anchovy, vs krill in positive PDO years. So stock your boxes accordingly,... Although I wouldn't have guessed that rockfish are a primary prey item for albacore (file that under WTF). One personal data point supporting this info was remembering albacore puking up massive amounts of really big (like 2") krill back in 2014.

NOAA-Juv-albie-OR-WA-diet.png

PDO-2020.png

Last edited:

doublebluff

Go Beavs
I would still love to get on a fly-only trip sometime. I could probably be a short notice fella, please keep me in mind if you have a cancellation.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Been super busy so haven't been able to post a follow up.

The day before I went, Mark ran his first tuna trip and they did extremely well. We started near where he caught the day prior, around 46.23/ 125.15

The temp break had slid out some so we didn't find fish till we went down and out to around 17/22. Found a .4 degree temp break up to 62.6 and started getting a few. We hooked around 15 or so, maybe 5 total on bait. Mark did about the same, maybe a few less. Definitely wasn't as good as the day before, but it was a good start.

Mostly normal sized ones, but we lost one jumbo near the boat.

Not wide open fishing, but thats coming any day now. Got a couple more weeks of salmon and bottom fishing trips mixed with some tuna then will be full time tuna starting the 22nd

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I'll be headed out on the next weather window! Kind of a bummer to have the fish showing up, then the fans turn on and ocean get all chopped up. Not ideal for those of us going in 22' boats :(

SilverFly

Season update. Since the exciting kickoff last week the wind has been mostly keeping the sport fleet in port. Last Friday some boats got out, including the charter that @NickClayton works for. All three boats put 30+ fish on deck, From the salt forum on Ifish:

I just heard from Mark Coleman that all three of his boats were in the 30's.
He was fishing in the Astoria Canyon around the 125 line.
When the ocean sits down in a few days I think a lot of tuna are going to die.

I'm assuming Nick was skipper for one of these boats. Would love to hear some deets, especially on average size, but also assuming Nick has been very busy.

Last edited:

Dave Boyle

Season update. Since the exciting kickoff last week the wind has been mostly keeping the sport fleet in port. Last Friday some boats got out, including the charter that @NickClayton works for. All three boats put 30+ fish on deck, From the salt forum on Ifish:

I'm assuming Nick was skipper for one of these boats. Would love to hear some deets, especially on average size, but also assuming Nick has been very busy.

More likely even more his deckhand carking.... :)

veilside180sx

I'll be headed out on the next weather window! Kind of a bummer to have the fish showing up, then the fans turn on and ocean get all chopped up. Not ideal for those of us going in 22' boats :(
July blow is always a pita, but very necessary for keeping the fish here as long as possible.
The upwellings are what feed our fish for the summer.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Questions for you experienced tuna packers out there. Some friends and family and I are going out on Saturday the 1st out of Westport. The current plan is to spend the night in town Saturday after fishing and head back to our respective homes the following morning. I know fresh tuna has to be salt iced and kept super cold, though. If we get into some fish, in your experience are we going to be able to keep the fish cold overnight and thru a drive back provided we’ve got decent ice chests? I’d hate to spoil some great fish by being careless about getting it in the freezer, but significant others are coming along and it’s a hard ask to get people to leave town on a Saturday night.

Thanks for the help!

veilside180sx

Questions for you experienced tuna packers out there. Some friends and family and I are going out on Saturday the 1st out of Westport. The current plan is to spend the night in town Saturday after fishing and head back to our respective homes the following morning. I know fresh tuna has to be salt iced and kept super cold, though. If we get into some fish, in your experience are we going to be able to keep the fish cold overnight and thru a drive back provided we’ve got decent ice chests? I’d hate to spoil some great fish by being careless about getting it in the freezer, but significant others are coming along and it’s a hard ask to get people to leave town on a Saturday night.

Thanks for the help!

I always ice my fish overnight prior to carking.

Keep the ice topped up & you’ll be fine.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I've definitely been super busy, but offshore water conditions have kept me Inshore doing salmon and bottomfish a lot lately. I'll be full time tuna within the week though.

When any of our boats have been getting out the tuna fishing has been very solid

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

Thanks for the help!

Get saltwater flake ice from Merinos, ice the bags of loins well, and you'll be just fine

DenWor54

Hey Guys,
Just got a report from one of my fishing buddies, he’s a commercial albacore fisherman and they picked up a couple bluefin tuna around 30lb range. They we’re using there normal trolling equipment and he decided to try some flies in chartuese and white and the bluefin liked that combo. Just thought I would get silverfly all worked up and they were 40 miles out of ilwaco when they hit the bluefin.

SilverFly

Hey Guys,
Just got a report from one of my fishing buddies, he’s a commercial albacore fisherman and they picked up a couple bluefin tuna around 30lb range. They we’re using there normal trolling equipment and he decided to try some flies in chartuese and white and the bluefin liked that combo. Just thought I would get silverfly all worked up and they were 40 miles out of ilwaco when they hit the bluefin.
Hell yeah I'm worked up! Now we know that first one last week wasn't a loner. Thanks for the info Dennis.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Hey Guys,
Cruel, but funny...:D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts