Danielson H5D versus Control Reels

cmann886

i have become intrigued with Danielson reels. I had been contemplating adding a Loop classic reel (as much for looks and price as performance) when I started looking at Danielson reels. I don’t know anyone who has used these reels and would like to know peoples experiences with these two models.

Thank you in advance.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
i have become intrigued with Danielson reels. I had been contemplating adding a Loop classic reel (as much for looks and price as performance) when I started looking at Danielson reels. I don’t know anyone who has used these reels and would like to know peoples experiences with these two models.

Thank you in advance.
The Danielson L5Ws are fantastic, functional, no bullshit fishing reels. The spool swap is annoying if you plan on doing that on a regular basis. The HD is just a heavier frame from the L5Ws. I haven't played with a control yet. You can't go wrong with the company, especially at the price. Only overseas reels I have.

SalterLee

WFF Supporter
Lots of love for them over on SpeyPages... just search the content. The often come up as the best value around for disc drag reels.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
The Danielson L5Ws are fantastic, functional, no bullshit fishing reels.

I agree +1

Why is the spool swap "annoying"? Danielsson are pretty simplistic.. and with no -zero- loose parts involved. In comparison to a simple push button spool release, then yes, they are mildly more complicated. I've seen (and own) much more involved examples though.

B

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
The Danielson L5Ws are fantastic, functional, no bullshit fishing reels.

I agree +1

Why is the spool swap "annoying"? Danielsson are pretty simplistic.. and with no -zero- loose parts involved. In comparison to a simple push button spool release, then yes, they are mildly more complicated. I've seen (and own) much more involved examples though.

B
That's all I am referring to, I don't like multiple loose parts if you're swapping spools, I lose shit really well. It is a very simple set up and not complicated. Great spey reels because of the full cage. Eliminates mono running lines slipping between spool and reel. Used to happen with a Tibor Signature i have, drove me crazy.

Forgot to add, this does not change my mind about them, some of my favorite reels and I recommend them to everyone.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
I don’t know anyone who has used these reels and would like to know peoples experiences with these two models.
I'm not hands on familiar with the control series. Biggest question I would have is do both models share the same drag pack? Other than that, the Control series almost has to be a little heavier (physically) That could be helpful or non desirable, application dependent. VERY cool reels though, for sure! I'm already 'reel poor' enough to avoid the temptation (smiling)

Maybe Salmo Trutta will chime in.. I know he's familiar with them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts