CND 9'8" Tracker series spey--opinions?

Thinking about this rod as a 2nd trout rod, pontoon boat rod, one- and two-handed trout spey, and one- and two-handed overhead Puget Sound beach rod.... or maybe I'll just buy an Atlantis and a couple of spey rods (when all that extra cash appears).

Anyway, the spey tracker is advertised as, and attested to by others on different forums as, a great little all-around rod (hence my multiple intended uses).

Has anyone tried it? How do you like it?

I'll be making my first trip to River Run Anglers in the next couple of weeks, too.

Thanks!

Tom

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Aaron has some of those rods to try out. At least I think that he still does. I haven't been that way in about 6 months. I should go just for the B/S'ing.

Jim

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
I recently got a 12'2" CND Tracker from a friend in exchange for a site design for his spey group. I can't spey cast for shit, but it's awesome as an extra-long overhead rod. 80-90' casts are easy and I can see how it'd be a killer chironomid rod.

K

Well of course there are pros and cons to having just one rod. You should really get a few different ones :)

The 9'8" casts 8wt single hand lines so it may be a little much for trout fishing but not too bad. For beach fishing it should be a rocking rod paired up with one of the new RIO outbound lines. It overhands very well and is not bad to single hand cast either if you need to. A fun little spey casting stick as well.

The 12'2 that Kent has is a better trout rod but not has beefy for casting bigger flies and fighting bigger fish like you would in the salt during the fall migration. However it would be perfect for the winter beach fishing around here.

Choices, choices, choices,

-sean

I already have the Rio 8wt versitip system--Juro Mukai (the CND rep who runs the flytalk board) says it should be a pretty good match--the total head length is 38', with probably the right grains ("probably" meaning he hasn't tried it yet, and compared it to a line with a much longer head length).

I keep hearing nothing but good feedback about this rod, so I'll be trying it soon.

Thanks for all the input!

Tom

I am good friends with Juro and the rest of the CND gang. I am betting if you get one you would be the only one I know of in Washington that would own one.

-sean

sean said:
I am good friends with Juro and the rest of the CND gang. I am betting if you get one you would be the only one I know of in Washington that would own one.
-sean
Whoa! That's cool. I have a CND spey (13'4" 6/7/8). I love it. A trip to Aaron's will net you the answers to your questions. However, you may leave RRA with a few more rods on your list. :cool:

Oh, Kent, let me know if that 12'2" starts gathering dust in your closet.

Latest posts