NFR Positive Effects of the Current Pandemic

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
It is so easy to point out the negatives of the current pandemic. Many are political or economic related. Many are driven by our limited POV about 'me' and not recognizing how we impact others and vice versa.

BUT there are a lot of positives that are coming out as a result of the current pandemic.

Kids can no longer go to school. But when we try to help our teachers with at home telecommuting and daily lessons and gain a further understanding of what they do day in and day out there is a greater appreciation of the very hard work our teachers put in every day to help our kids. Also breakfast and/or lunches provided by schools to many kids was vastly unknown. Not so much now... Depending on where you live 50%-80% of the lunches went to kids where it was their only meal. Who knew? I sure did not. My wife is a 'lunch lady' at a local school. She served those students as well as ran the number of meals everyday. Unfortunately and against her strong and sincere desires, she is not allowed to work because she falls into the 'high risk group - age'.

Also by having the kids home more, I have gotten to know them a lot better than before. A true blessing in disguise for sure!

Our local restaurants have stepped up helping others. They provide daily meals (3 shifts a day) to all of our first responders. Can they afford it? Hell no! But they support our community and believing in giving back. Who knew?

If you asked any brewery if they would be making hand sanitizer and providing it to our community for free 2 months ago - the answer is much different today for sure! The same applies to local small businesses that switched over to making PPE...

Who ever heard of epidemiologists, virologists, pandemic data modelers, NIH, CDC, WHO, and what they did behind the scenes to protect us 3 months ago? There are a cast of 1000's that are behind the scenes that we will never know and they are also true first responders!

Without the pandemic my wife and I would not of gotten to know our next door neighbors as well as we have. We have always been cordial and helped each other when we could. My wife and I now do all their shopping for them. We are also maintaining their yard and helping in other ways also.

And then there are the doctors, nurses, EMTs, care givers, police, firefighters, medical professionals, etc., that rush into the 'valley of death' every day. They are filling in for fathers, mothers, kids so that the person can die with 'family' and dignity. I have read that the burnout rate of medical people was 50% before this crisis. No clue what it will be after this. The help they need is undefinable, but worth every $ to be spent, and then some. They do not deserve it, they EARNED it!

Lets all help, any way we can, to get past this pandemic....

Jim Darden

That's a great view if you work for the government! If you have kids like I do, that can't pay the rent, can't pay the mortgage, are having their cars repossessed, and can't afford to feed their family, you would have less sanguine views on the current situation.....

gt

That's a great view if you work for the government! If you have kids like I do, that can't pay the rent, can't pay the mortgage, are having their cars repossessed, and can't afford to feed their family, you would have less sanguine views on the current situation.....

better alive than suffering from covid-19 or spreading it to others. tough times for sure but being upright has great merit.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I've seldom lived beyond my means, and haven't paid any interest in several years. Small charge on a small credit card balance that I didn't pay off by the end of the month, like I almost always do. Use the card as a convenience to pay for something or to make an on-line purchase, then pay it off asap!. I can thank my late Dad for advising me to avoid paying interest on consumer debt, but instead to "save up" for things I wanted. Guess what? If one is saving up to purchase a big ticket item, then they will likely have a small nest egg ready for emergencies.
What worries me is the threat of having my Social Security and Medicare f*cked with by the idiot who would be king.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
@Jim Wallace - some great advice there and what I also live by. If I can not afford it I do not buy it. When buying a house, have the payment be within one's means.

It is the priorities and choices that one makes that is important. My truck is 13 years old. I want a new truck but will not buy one. The amount I would spend for the truck is the same amount as my daughter's 4 years of college and that would mean I could not pay for my daughter's tuition, room and board. Easy choice for me...

The $$ hurt so many of us feel is not caused by the pandemic. The job can go away at any time. It is caused by poor planning to handle 'what if's; I lose my job or someone in the family gets sick...

We have all read that 50% of people in the US could not afford a $400 surprise bill. My wife; the 'lunch lady', knows who is getting free meals for their kids in school. We have gone over to their houses to let the kids play and we have seen nicer and newer cars than we have, bigger TV's and more 'toys'. Yet if one of the parents loses a job, they will be out on the street within a month because of no savings. All about choices and priorities.

Hopefully one of the positive things to come out of this pandemic will be a goal ---> I will never put my family through that again! Reasonable budgets will be made and followed. Put money into a bank. Take 1/2 of each pay raise and add that to savings plan. Have at least 6 months of savings to tied one over.

Pescaphile

I've seldom lived beyond my means, and haven't paid any interest in several years. Small charge on a small credit card balance that I didn't pay off by the end of the month, like I almost always do. Use the card as a convenience to pay for something or to make an on-line purchase, then pay it off asap!. I can thank my late Dad for advising me to avoid paying interest on consumer debt, but instead to "save up" for things I wanted. Guess what? If one is saving up to purchase a big ticket item, then they will likely have a small nest egg ready for emergencies.
What worries me is the threat of having my Social Security and Medicare f*cked with by the idiot who would be king.
As a saver, I'm sure you're aware of the effect of inflation to devalue your money. It's a hidden tax that penalizes savers and those on fixed incomes.

The federal reserve's balance sheet is now skyrocketing greater than it did after the 2009 financial crisis and subsequent quantitative easing programs. They are purchasing treasury bills, mortage backed securities like has never been seen.

I think it's an understatement that this will affect prices or dollar value (however you choose to view it).

Freestone

WFF Supporter
@Rock Creek Fan For me, the upside has been spending nearly every day of the last two months my 90 yr old mother. She lives 3 hours from me and as I can/must work remotely now and have reduced hours, I am temporarily staying next door in her landlady’s winter home. It has been a real blessing for both of us as we are now each other’s “quarantine buddies”. With grocery deliveries, we haven’t had expose to anyone else so we are staying safe. We are walking together, cooking dinner together, playing cards, and generally just enjoying being together. She is looking forward to the Forest Service re-opening camp sites so we can go camping together again this summer. Sometimes it’s hard to believe that she is 90! But I know time with her is very precious and I will cherish these pandemic days together for as long as I live.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
As a saver, I'm sure you're aware of the effect of inflation to devalue your money. It's a hidden tax that penalizes savers and those on fixed incomes.

The federal reserve's balance sheet is now skyrocketing greater than it did after the 2009 financial crisis and subsequent quantitative easing programs. They are purchasing treasury bills, mortage backed securities like has never been seen.

I think it's an understatement that this will affect prices or dollar value (however you choose to view it).

I sold all of my momo stocks when they were definitely overvalued and appeared to be peaking on their respective charts. I began doing that at the end of January, this year, and my stop-losses saved me from too much further damage. I even sold my shares of NViDiA, although a little too early. I held onto some shares of two high dividend stocks and one highly speculative long-term play, but those all add up to only 10% of my nest egg. I sunk a bunch of the cash into an insured issue that guarantees 3%, with no loss of principal if things go south. That is now tied up for the next 12 months.
I have some very risky stuff that was paying 11% when I bought it. Now it pays about 18%, but the amount of the dividend hasn't changed...the share price went down! The Market is having doubts about the ability of some companies to continue paying dividends....many firms have already reduced or eliminated theirs.
Yesterday, when i was talking with my investment advisor, she was thinking that we might have a vaccine for Covid 19 in 6 months or so. I replied that we'd be lucky to have one in 18 months to 2 years from now, and that I planned to stay out of stocks for at least a year. She suggested that the 3% guaranteed issue was 100% safe, so I bought some.
I still have a bunker full of dry powder that can be deployed. Now is not the time, IMHO.

Yeah, I agree with Warren Buffet when he says that if you have any credit card debt, your best investment is to pay that off first, before doing anything else. In the interview with him that I watched, he chuckled a bit when he said that he has never found an investment that paid him 18% or even 15%, so noo way was he going to ever pay that much.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Pescaphile, there is a debate going on as to whether we'll sink into a full-on depression lasting for years and destroying industries, businesses, fortunes, and entire cultures, or only a lingering repression not lasting so long. Anyone's guess, eh?
But, finally, after everyone is broke and there is no production happening.... exploding price inflation pushes everything left of any value out of the reach of the "have nots" as the "haves" outbid them.
Class warfare. Walled cities. A return to the Dark Ages;)

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
@Freestone - happy tears regarding your post above! You are truly a lucky lady as well as your Mom! I just wish my parents were around so I could help them.

On a side note... My oldest daughter has always had an interest in tying flies. I have helped her whenever she wanted to tie.

Last fall she graduated with a degree is Molecular and Cellular Biology with a minor in Chemistry. She just got her dream job working at a hospital as a lab tech in studying cures for Alzheimer's. (My wife's dad died from it recently.)

Today as I was tying flies for the opener she came over and asked if she could tie some. Absolutely! I showed her the damsel nymph techniques. By her fifth fly hers looked as good as mine. Then onto a dragonfly nymph and elk hair caddis. By then I could show her a completed fly and we talked about the materials and the steps in order of materials. She was off to the races. When it came to a new technique she would ask for help. I would show her. Then onto a bullet head October caddis and Royal Wulff. She tied those all by herself! And yes, as my wife always said, we bonded again... Yes, it was a special day for me also... I know there will be more in the future.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I have my goal from staying away from everybody. As old as I am I don't need to get this crap. If I got it I would surely die. So don't come within a mile from me and we both will be happy. My Great, great, granddaughter was over yesterday and was unhappy because I wouldn't hug her. Hell I don't hug anybody while this shit it still going around. I don't know where her folks take her.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts