NFR Positive Effects of the Current Pandemic

Rob Allen

That's a great view if you work for the government! If you have kids like I do, that can't pay the rent, can't pay the mortgage, are having their cars repossessed, and can't afford to feed their family, you would have less sanguine views on the current situation.....

Maybe true but you cannot focus on the negative all the time..

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I have my goal from staying away from everybody. As old as I am I don't need to get this crap. If I got it I would surely die. So don't come within a mile from me and we both will be happy. My Great, great, granddaughter was over yesterday and was unhappy because I wouldn't hug her. Hell I don't hug anybody while this shit it still going around. I don't know where her folks take her.
Assume job at personal responsibility. Hopefully soon there will be a vaccine and we can hug the ones we love. And hold the hands of those we are saying goodbye too.

Last edited:

Peyton00

I still had to work. No time off from my 40 hr work week.
I did get a break from my gang of friends and got many house projects started and a few completed.
Another positive, i found a golf course that was allowing free play all day. It was a nice break from house chores.
That's the reason why I didn't complete all my house projects.
Also, my wife and I went to the lake house, she doesn't normally go till summer time. It was nice to sit by the fire and relax.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Well the air is cleaner, and since air travel will likely only get back to roughly half what it was, that may continue. Business travel will likely go way down now that they are realizing virtual meetings work as well much of the time.
Buffet just sold all airline stocks, so they have a reckoning to deal with.

surfnfish

Kicked
The most positive impact from this pandemic is how well the vast majority of Americans have pulled together.
Sure, there are always the drama queens, invading civic centers with shouldered AR's, screaming their personal freedom to die from the virus is more important than our right to be free of the virus. The fringe will always be just that.
The rest of us, however, have buckled down and done what has been needed to slow the spread, and finding compassion for the hardships those around us are going through, often far greater than our own.
The US has become a 'ME' country, a huge collection of sub-tribes self absorbed in their world....pro meat/vegetarian, NRA/ anti-gun, gay rights/anti-gay rights, pro trade/anti-trade, pro choice/anti-pro choice..the list is endless of opposing sides, the divides in this country running deep.
This virus has loomed over all of that, reminding us that regardless of how we believe at the micro level, at the macro level we are all Americans in this together.
Perhaps the true upside of this pandemic is it might open enough eyes to elect a president who believes he is there to serve us, not us to serve him.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
@Rock Creek Fan For me, the upside has been spending nearly every day of the last two months my 90 yr old mother. She lives 3 hours from me and as I can/must work remotely now and have reduced hours, I am temporarily staying next door in her landlady’s winter home. It has been a real blessing for both of us as we are now each other’s “quarantine buddies”. With grocery deliveries, we haven’t had expose to anyone else so we are staying safe. We are walking together, cooking dinner together, playing cards, and generally just enjoying being together. She is looking forward to the Forest Service re-opening camp sites so we can go camping together again this summer. Sometimes it’s hard to believe that she is 90! But I know time with her is very precious and I will cherish these pandemic days together for as long as I live.
Such a great post Sue. I have mom-envy now!

David Loy

Senior Moment
The most positive impact from this pandemic is how well the vast majority of Americans have pulled together.
I grew up watching Johnny Carson and similar shows, and a common foil was how rude New Yorkers are. Well a few years back I finally made the visit, and one of the eye openers for me was quite the opposite. Almost everyone we met or interacted with was kind, warm, courteous and went out of their way to be helpful. I had to think about this, and came up with the theory that the 9/11 experience made them take stock on how they interact with others. I don’t doubt they’ve always been a cohesive bunch but they were a far cry from what I expected. Can you imagine NY going forward? There’s a lesson there, and I’ll gladly go again. Not to mention all the fun things to do.

Charles Sullivan

I grew up watching Johnny Carson and similar shows, and a common foil was how rude New Yorkers are. Well a few years back I finally made the visit, and one of the eye openers for me was quite the opposite. Almost everyone we met or interacted with was kind, warm, courteous and went out of their way to be helpful. I had to think about this, and came up with the theory that the 9/11 experience made them take stock on how they interact with others. I don’t doubt they’ve always been a cohesive bunch but they were a far cry from what I expected. Can you imagine NY going forward? There’s a lesson there, and I’ll gladly go again. Not to mention all the fun things to do.
Great people. I married one.

I never found New Yorkers rude before 9/11, just busy. Sometimes different communication styles lead to misinterpretations.

Go Sox,
cds

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Great people. I married one.

I never found New Yorkers rude before 9/11, just busy. Sometimes different communication styles lead to misinterpretations.

Go Sox,
cds
Agreed. At least New Yorkers will acknowledge your existence as a fellow human and, heaven forbid, make eye contact, unlike some of my Seattle neighbors and some other PNWerners.

jtgdsm

1. More time with family. It is not without trying times but family is what really matters.
2. A reorganizing of priorities
3. My gear has never been so organized!!

wetswinger

That people, even ones with the Seattle Chill, are being kind and courteous to each other. Most people want to get along in trying times...

D

Deleted member 10700

better alive than suffering from covid-19 or spreading it to others. tough times for sure but being upright has great merit.
You say that like being a responsible young person, paying your rent or mortgage and making your car payment on time is somehow not being upright, and doesn’t have great merit...but I can’t imagine for even a second you or anyone would believe that.

gt

You say that like being a responsible young person, paying your rent or mortgage and making your car payment on time is somehow not being upright, and doesn’t have great merit...but I can’t imagine for even a second you or anyone would believe that.

geez, i don't think i said anything you implied. so what is the point you are trying to make??

Jack Devlin

The ban on plastic grocery bags was ended. This dumb idea (on many levels) put the health of grocery store workers at risk even before the Chi-Com virus.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts