Plecoptera, Little Brown Stone

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Ran across this stonefly 2 winters ago, 2/16/19, on the Tucannon River across from Blue Lake. Should have gotten more pictures but I believe it to be a little brown stonefly. The day was somewhat mild and overcast for the most part.
20190216_stonefly.jpg

The following winter I used this rig to take several rainbows from different spots of the same characteristics. All below a straight gravel riffle. Most of the day the dropper was a smaller similar black stone. The rainbows all took the Pat's, the whitefish all on that short (had to keep it down but lifelike) black dropper fly.
20200102_082928.jpg

Troutnut

It does look to be in the family Nemouridae, but there are quite a few other genus possibilities (like Zapada and Malenka) in addition to Nemoura, and getting to that level of detail from a picture is difficult.

jamma

Ran across this stonefly 2 winters ago, 2/16/19, on the Tucannon River across from Blue Lake. Should have gotten more pictures but I believe it to be a little brown stonefly. The day was somewhat mild and overcast for the most part.
View attachment 237549
The following winter I used this rig to take several rainbows from different spots of the same characteristics. All below a straight gravel riffle. Most of the day the dropper was a smaller similar black stone. The rainbows all took the Pat's, the whitefish all on that short (had to keep it down but lifelike) black dropper fly.
View attachment 237550
The snow leads me to believe it is the species Taeniopterygidae, commonly known as winter stoneflies or snow stones.

It's either that or an Atlantic salmon, take your pick. ;) :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info