2020 - 21 WA State Fishing License - Random thoughts and questions

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Whew, i just made a chart of the options for this years license.

Looks like i need a combo with a discover pass.

Looks like columbia river endorsement no longer needed to fish trib of the columbia river.

I do not need to catch and eat crab or seaweed, so the Fish WA not in my best interest?

On the fence on 2 pole endorsement since i have a hard time keeping on fly line from being tangled much less two in my drift boat fishing lakes. But have been temped to try it. I could troll one line in rod holder while throwing poppers to big basses in the lily pads on a favorite fishery with both warm water species and trout.

If you purchased 2 rod in past, what are your thoughts? Did you enjoy it or waste of time and money?

Buzzy

Time for Ira to weigh in as well. I have a two pole endorsement and very often fish two rods. Sometimes both set with indicators, sometimes one with an indicator and the other line casting and counting/stripping. And sometimes, when I miss indicator takes because I'm stripping a streamer, I quit streamer fishing and concentrate on one rod/one indicator.

In BC you don't need an "endorsement" for multiple rods and since you can only fish one fly per rod, a couple rods out increases the chances of figuring out the bite (and it increases the chances of a mess, tangles and tourettes).

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
I get the two pole because I am often in the tandem kayak with my son Jack and he gets bored so I take over his line. He gets to land any fish hooked....otherwise I would probably bail on it

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
I use the 2 pole frequently. I do a lot of pontoon boat kicking with flippers so it's easy to handle 2 rods. I also gear fish for sockeye at Baker lake when they open it.
For me it's worth it.

skyriver

Ok, chalk it up as a quarantine rant...
"Two-pole" endorsement". Kills me every time I see it on their website. For God's sake, they're rods! And what's with the hyphen? Who in their right mind would write "I fish with two-poles. No, it's two poles...er 2 rods. It's plural man. It's a "two rods endorsement".
Rant over

Buzzy

"Two-pole" endorsement". Kills me every time I see it on their website. For God's sake, they're rods! And what's with the hyphen? Who in their right mind would write "I fish with two-poles. No, it's two poles...er 2 rods. It's plural man. It's a "two rods endorsement".
Rant over
I dunno, I got me a new fly pole two weeks ago. :cool:

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Rant over
Wow! Just so maybe you'll be less distressed next time you see that, I'll offer a rebuttal:
A) They've been referred to as "fishing poles" forever. I didn't hear them referred to as "rods" regularly until I started fly fishing, and until the marketing of $$$ spinning rods became a thing. "Rods" sounds elitist to many folks out there.
B) Grammatically, two-pole endorsement makes sense. It makes it clear the "two" refers to number of rods, not number of endorsements. Same reason it's four-wheel drive, not four wheels drive, or two-man tent, not two men tent.

Feel better about it, now?
And seriously, that's the part of WA regs that bugs you?:p

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
They've been referred to as "fishing poles" forever. I didn't hear them referred to as "rods" regularly until I started fly fishing, and until the marketing of $$$ spinning rods became a thing. "Rods" sounds elitist to many folks out there.

They have been referred to as fishing poles forever by bubba crackers who can't tell the difference between a light pole and a fishing rod or that light poles are for stringing wires on and fishing rods are for stringing fishing line on. If rods sounds elitist, then you may be a cracker too. Fly fishermen have always been elitist pricks. You make it sound like there is something wrong in being elite.

dustinchromers

Time for Ira to weigh in as well. I have a two pole endorsement and very often fish two rods. Sometimes both set with indicators, sometimes one with an indicator and the other line casting and counting/stripping. And sometimes, when I miss indicator takes because I'm stripping a streamer, I quit streamer fishing and concentrate on one rod/one indicator.

In BC you don't need an "endorsement" for multiple rods and since you can only fish one fly per rod, a couple rods out increases the chances of figuring out the bite (and it increases the chances of a mess, tangles and tourettes).

I'm way too stupid to manage two rods at once. Even trolling I'd fail.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
They have been referred to as fishing poles forever by bubba crackers who can't tell the difference between a light pole and a fishing rod or that light poles are for stringing wires on and fishing rods are for stringing fishing line on. If rods sounds elitist, then you may be a cracker too. Fly fishermen have always been elitist pricks. You make it sound like there is something wrong in being elite.
I try to hide my red neck with a name brand buff, but it keeps slipping...
I always figured the switch to calling them rods was because those of us silly enough to pay $200+ for a fishing pole probably needed a reminder not to wave them in the air during a thunderstorm :cool:

dustinchromers

Call a rod a pole in front of Gary Loomis. It's awesome. He will give a full diatribe. I do it on purpose.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
As far as the original question...
I looked at the complexity of choices, figured the $10 difference in the full combo vs ala carte would cover me for a sudden whim to fish two rods, or let the guy whose boat I'm on have my limit of shellfish, and called it good!

Slipstream

I was watching "Gunsmoke" yesterday and Chester asked Doc if he wanted to go fishing. Doc answered "No, I don't have a fishing pole." Chester said, "That's alright Doc I have two poles." I noticed both poles were made from willow branches. Could that be the difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod?
I never seem to have much trouble catching fish with one rod or pole. Usually only when the fish weren't biting. It didn't seem to me that another pole/rod would help me catch fish if they weren't biting. The two-pole endorsement doesn't allow me to keep more fish. The only advantage is I could catch them faster and get back home in time to watch the next episode of Gunsmoke. That said, I pulled the trigger this year and forked out the extra cash for the two-pole endorsement. Should have waited till November and saved $8.80. Who the heck is Gary Loomis?

A/L/D

Do you guys think a image of the temporary license on my phone is good enough for those game wardens?

I dont have a printer and all the printing places near me are not essential so they are closed.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts