2020 - 21 WA State Fishing License - Random thoughts and questions

cmann886

Whew, i just made a chart of the options for this years license.

Looks like i need a combo with a discover pass.

Looks like columbia river endorsement no longer needed to fish trib of the columbia river.

I do not need to catch and eat crab or seaweed, so the Fish WA not in my best interest?

On the fence on 2 pole endorsement since i have a hard time keeping on fly line from being tangled much less two in my drift boat fishing lakes. But have been temped to try it. I could troll one line in rod holder while throwing poppers to big basses in the lily pads on a favorite fishery with both warm water species and trout.

If you purchased 2 rod in past, what are your thoughts? Did you enjoy it or waste of time and money?
I purchased one once. I did not have any advantage with it. In fact I think I just lost more fish with it and did not catch any more. Also, one of the areas I had planned on using if for had the endorsement revoked later. I learned my lesson from that one poor choice.

bakerite

Since I finally at 64, bought a pole that costs more than $100 do I have start calling it a rod? Seriously I get the two pole endorsement and use it most times I fish in lakes.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I'm way too stupid to manage two rods at once. Even trolling I'd fail.
Chromers:
1. No way are you too stupid, and
2. You aren't a 'troll'

fwiw - sometimes I do feel a bit stupid when fishing two rods and both have fish on at the same time (silly stupid but still smiling).

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
Most of us used the term “rod” before learning to fly fish, for example. “Did you bring your spinning rod?”
I have never heard anyone ask if I brought a spinning pole.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
<snip> Who the heck is Gary Loomis?

Gary Loomis has been at the forefront of rod design and manufacturing since at least the 70's. He revolutionized the entire industry on use of graphite in rods in the 80's. The tapers of his blanks/rods help set the bar for strength, sensitivity, and functionality. He rolled graphite blanks and made rods for his company G.L. Loomis. He also rolled blanks for years for companies including Winston, LL Bean, Powell, and Cabela's to name a few. He sold his company in 1995 to Shimano and the rods have not been the same IMHO.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Gary Loomis has been at the forefront of rod design and manufacturing since at least the 70's. He revolutionized the entire industry on use of graphite in rods in the 80's. The tapers of his blanks/rods help set the bar for strength, sensitivity, and functionality. He rolled graphite blanks and made rods for his company G.L. Loomis. He also rolled blanks for years for companies including Winston, LL Bean, Powell, and Cabela's to name a few. He sold his company in 1995 to Shimano and the rods have not been the same IMHO.
I have a 6' bass casting rod Gary Loomis wrapped as a gift for a mutual friend. The mutual friend gave it to me as he knew I liked to fish bass.

Last edited:

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Call a rod a pole in front of Gary Loomis. It's awesome. He will give a full diatribe. I do it on purpose.
Who y'all callin' a bubba pardner? I never had no rod till I commenced to fly fishin'. They was all poles! Trout pole, plunkin' pole, catfish pole. Shucks pard' I busted my fly pole back a spell and they asked $75.00 to fix it up agin. I reckon 'twas worth it sho' nuf.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Most of us used the term “rod” before learning to fly fish, for example. “Did you bring your spinning rod?”
I have never heard anyone ask if I brought a spinning pole.
Me either, but I heard fishing pole a million times growing up in MN. My only point was that "two-pole" isn't incorrect. It's a commonly used generic term among casual gear fishers.

GSIEGEL

I was watching "Gunsmoke" yesterday and Chester asked Doc if he wanted to go fishing. Doc answered "No, I don't have a fishing pole." Chester said, "That's alright Doc I have two poles." I noticed both poles were made from willow branches. Could that be the difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod?
I have always assumed, at least, that that was the difference. Cane poles are still a thing.

skyriver

Granger made rods for the regular, hard-working man (and women) in the 1920s. They called them rods. Frickin elitists. :D
https://www.finecane.com/gg-advertising/

And yeah, I get it...two-pole is an adjective, like four-wheel, so it's describing the endorsement (the noun, like drive). Still bugs me though. :p

And no, that is definitely not the worst part of the regs. There's too many to pick just one.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The old Loomis rods with Gary’s signature are awesome.
I still have a gear rod I bought from him personally right after they he started G Loomis.
They were working out of someone’s garage at that time.
I had a buddy who worked there and was one of the first employees hired.
SF

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Dang! I have always called 'em "sticks." Fly sticks, salmon sticks, surf sticks...Not only that, I must need another eye exam, since I read it as "tad-pole endorsement," and I don't like to harass frogs or their young.
Thank you forum members for clearing this up!

skyriver

The old Loomis rods with Gary’s signature are awesome.
I still have a gear rod I bought from him personally right after they he started G Loomis.
They were working out of someone’s garage at that time.
I had a buddy who worked there and was one of the first employees hired.
SF
My 5wt is a G Loomis IMX that I made from a blank in the 80s. It's stiff, light and fast and has been tough as nails....after I got the 2nd tip. 1st tip had the infamous tip issue. It broke on the Deschutes while I was just pulling out line. Loomis did the right thing and sent me a new blank for free.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts