NFR Murder hornets

Dave Boyle

Nothing like a bit of overhype from the media these days...I did find this article on the Japanese hornets that apparently are an invasive species now here in WA. Ironic as it’s a U.K. paper.

I’ve seen critter shows with these, I think utter thug bastard wasps is a better fit. The size of your thumb and disturbing a nest can leave you dead. Crazy. Keep an eye out for them if bushwhacking.

Dave

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
WFF Supporter
Some decent sized protein finally. Here's a solution!

tempura.jpg

http://www.bugsfeed.com/eating_wasp..._PmXxIYCv9olestoG0wlewJnEr3wbcHzIjK83ptY3pKL4

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Nothing like a bit of overhype from the media these days...I did find this article on the Japanese hornets that apparently are an invasive species now here in WA. Ironic as it’s a U.K. paper.

I’ve seen critter shows with these, I think utter thug bastard wasps is a better fit. The size of your thumb and disturbing a nest can leave you dead. Crazy. Keep an eye out for them if bushwhacking.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Respectfully but hmmm, I'm not that sure that "overhype" is an accurate assessment. And an article on the same invasion was in today's New York Times (see "'Murder Hornets" in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet"). According to the NYT article, up to 50 people are stung to death each year in Japan and they kill people throughout their range in southeast Asia. Given the importance of European bees to pollinating agricultural crops and native plants and how distressed the populations of bees have been in recent years due to multiple threats (see colony collapse disorder, introduced Varroa mites, etc.), efforts to eradicate such a large potential threat before it becomes established would seem very important. Once an invasive species is established, you have to invest effort/money/time constantly to keep it under some level of control (or you just let it wreck havoc in the ecosystem).
Steve

Dave Boyle

Hi Steve, no worries. It was calling them murder hornets. Fully agree they are really bad news. There was post a while back where they found one at the border, I noted the challenge they have created in China, the stings are pretty horrific on those unlucky enough to disturb a nest.

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts