Opening Day - what responsibility are you going to take?

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I live on a small 'private' lake that plants (locally funded) fish every year. There is no public access to the lake. The standard but unofficial rule at the lake is there is no fishing from the day of planting fish to opening day of low land lakes. This has been followed every year including this year.

Since 'official opening day', even when recreational fishing is banned by the state, I have seen increased fishing pressure. I posted on our local FB page for the lake about the ban. The replies I received on FB are 'it should be okay to fish'. I have seen people on nearby docks where there were 6+ people fishing ---> obviously not following the social distancing rule or closure dates. I posted a sign at a 'community dock' that fishing is not allowed until 5/5. The sign I put up was taken down and there were 6+ people fishing. This concerns me obviously.

If people are this blatant by not following the rules before the opener, what will it be like once it is open for fishing? I spoke out on FB and as well as posted a sign about fishing to no avail. I wanted to talk to them but the odds of 6+ to 1 was not comfortable for me...

So what are you going to do when confronted with rule violations including social distancing? Do proper social distancing at launches, on shore, and on the water and let others (WDFW, LEO, etc.) worry about the ramifications ? Remind, errrr confront violators, in the hopes of them recognizing the importance of keeping fishing open, or just fish as normal and let the 'chips' be where they fall?

Last edited:

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
WFF Supporter
Avoiding Purdy or Narrows Park ( Blatant herd prompt) and going to search for some small blue lines.
Fishing is fun, other people are not.
Using my intelligent, free thinking mind to locate something maybe not guaranteed, but no where near others.

Wyobee

This is slightly off topic, but Montana has lifted it's shelter in place and opened up fishing for residents. I was invited to go on a fishing trip but it was unclear if I'd be allowed.
So I went on the website to apply for an out of state license and new catagory appeared. A non-resident who was born in Montana and who still has direct family living in the state fishing license. That's Me!
I get to go! Still going to be careful and considerate but kinda cool that they are making allowance to visit family and enjoy the outdoors.

Rob Allen

I live on a small 'private' lake that plants (locally funded) fish every year. There is no public access to the lake. The standard but unofficial rule at the lake is there is no fishing from the day of planting fish to opening day of low land lakes. This has been followed every year including this year.

Since 'official opening day', even when recreational fishing is banned by the state, I have seen increased fishing pressure. I posted on our local FB page for the lake about the ban. The replies I received on FB are 'it should be okay to fish'. I have seen people on nearby docks where there were 6+ people fishing ---> obviously not following the social distancing rule or closure dates. I posted a sign at a 'community dock' that fishing is not allowed until 5/5. The sign I put up was taken down and there were 6+ people fishing. This concerns me obviously.

If people are this blatant by not following the rules before the opener, what will it be like once it is open for fishing? I spoke out on FB and as well as posted a sign about fishing to no avail. I wanted to talk to them but the odds of 6+ to 1 was not comfortable for me...

So what are you going to do when confronted with rule violations including social distancing? Do proper social distancing at launches, on shore, and on the water and let others (WDFW, LEO, etc.) worry about the ramifications ? Remind, errrr confront violators, in the hopes of them recognizing the importance of keeping fishing open, or just fish as normal and let the 'chips' be where they fall?

Fishing somewhere where social distancing is even an issue completely defeats the purpose of fly fishing in my opinion.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
So what are you going to do when confronted with rule violations including social distancing?
#1 - I'm not going out. #2 - If I were to see such selfish disregard for social distancing/protecting others, I would pray for them, 'cuz there sure isn't anything else that will get their attention unless it's them struggling to breath in a hospital bed . . . which unfortunately would be too bad, too little, too late.

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
I'm doing my standard, fishing the same spots that I have never seen another soul or even sign of one and if I do see anyone I'll do my standard and leave. I'm not a big people person. If I see people sitting on top of each other I will probably talk shit to them just like I do when I see shit hole snaggers. I feel compelled for some reason. As fun as it was not fishing for the last 6 weeks...... Those turds are the ones that will get it shut down again.

D3Smartie

I am going springer fishing. 4 days is all we get and i wont miss it.
Taking family members and a couple close friends that we know have been very diligent in their spacing. Bringing our own food. Should be completely self contained.

Bugmeister

Not sure yet. I suspect west side lakes will not be a good idea for those seeking solitude and social distancing. Hike + fish is probably the go.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’m thinking Friday may be my opening day.
I’ll stay pretty local, no gas needed and bring my own food. I highly doubt I’ll see another angler.

Looking forward to busting some rust off my casting arm after seven weeks of no fishing for me.
I hope the fish are happy to see me....
SF

Old Man

A very Old Man
This is slightly off topic, but Montana has lifted it's shelter in place and opened up fishing for residents. I was invited to go on a fishing trip but it was unclear if I'd be allowed.
So I went on the website to apply for an out of state license and new catagory appeared. A non-resident who was born in Montana and who still has direct family living in the state fishing license. That's Me!
I get to go! Still going to be careful and considerate but kinda cool that they are making allowance to visit family and enjoy the outdoors.
If you come to Montana to fish you are supposed to do a 14 day Quarantine. If you are from another state. Plus they won't sell you a out of state license. I don't like you to bend the rules.

Plus. the fishing has been open since this shit started. It was never closed for the people here in Montana.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I plan to wait a couple few days and then will be taking my son out on the sound to try to scare up a sea run cutthroat or resident coho. I seldom see anyone at the launches I use, and definitely won't be any issue once out on the water.

I will have to put gas in my truck and boat simply because I haven't used either to speak of since early March. I'll fuel up early in the am, at the local reservation gas station that is closed for any face-to-face transactions anyway, use a CC, and won't interact with a soul. I'll bring our own food and drinks and will drive to the launch and back on less than a tank of gas and won't make any other stops. If there is any sort of activity at the launch I will wait my turn until things calm down. I definitely won't be in any hurry.

Once out on the water I guarantee I won't get near another boat. Hell I may not see another boat, at least one that is fishing. Perhaps I'll get lucky and spot @Spawnflyfish and swing by and holler hi. From an appropriate distance of course.

Catching fish would be cool but both my son and I agree that this will be one trip where catching fish truly doesn't matter.

Last edited:

wetswinger

I never see anybody where I fish except one or two during the Coho run. But if others were to appear I'd just give them some stink eye as I left. I long ago gave up the concept of social police. Guess I'm just an old softie, but if people bug me I just leave. You want to kill yourself for an afternoon at the beach, have at it.

Wyobee

If you come to Montana to fish you are supposed to do a 14 day Quarantine. If you are from another state. Plus they won't sell you a out of state license. I don't like you to bend the rules.

Plus. the fishing has been open since this shit started. It was never closed for the people here in Montana.
I guess in reply you are correct that fishing was never banned in MT but shelter in place rule made it difficult, but he restrictions are being lifted and bars opening Monday maybe? And I've already purchased my license under the provision of a native born montanan currently living out of State, no rules are being broken and I promise to avoid Butte always been a cantankerous bunch.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts