Opening Day - what responsibility are you going to take?

fishon61

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Enjoy the freedom of fishing, hunting, and hiking while we have it. It was easily taken away by fear and can be taken away as easily as it was the first time when we let others squash our freedom. Respect your fellow man, but let us be free to make up our own mine as to what we do.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I guess in reply you are correct that fishing was never banned in MT but shelter in place rule made it difficult, but he restrictions are being lifted and bars opening Monday maybe? And I've already purchased my license under the provision of a native born montanan currently living out of State, no rules are being broken and I promise to avoid Butte always been a cantankerous bunch.
I've never heard of that provision of being a native born in Montana but not living here. That's one way to scoot under the Quarantine.

castsN2trees

Last year, I was fishing a quiet section of a local river when I was approached by a property owner. As she walked up to the rivers edge, I waved and said hello. Without saying hello, she immediately started yelling that I had no right to fish in front of her house and that she was going to call the police....I was standing mid-thigh deep in the river, but there were “No Trespassing, Keep OUT” signs posted every 5ft along the shoreline of her property. I tried to diffuse the situation by saying I don’t litter and I stay in the river.... but that didn’t do any good.... she said if I wanted to fish this river I should buy property on the river and then started rambling on about taxes....I tried to ignore her, but her accusations got so absurd and she was yelling so loudly, I couldn’t help from laughing and telling her I hoped she found some happiness in her life..... and then I continued down the river, with her still yelling...

A month later, I was fishing the same stretch of river, approaching the same property, when the same woman walked to the rivers edge to confront me.... this time she had 2 shirtless big ole boys and 3 dogs with her....they were approx 50-75ft downriver, but from their body language I knew they were planning to chew me out again for fishing in the river in front of their house, but I just kept fishing... As I was trying to determine if I should ignore them or argue with them, the line went tight and my attention quickly shifted... a 5 minute fight ensued as a 18” rainbow torched my 3wt, darting in and out of fast current.... after a half dozen passes at the net, I finally secured him in the net , then turned to my arms-crossed nemesis and yelled “Now that’s a fish.” I quickly position the fish for a couple photos, and after taking a minute to revive the fish, released him back to the river... I stood up to address the other situation at hand, only to see the two shirtless fellas walking back to the house, with angry woman now giving them an ear-full....

I will never understand how people who are fortunate enough to own waterfront property can be so consumed by other people’s actions that they let it rob them of all their joy.... why would someone litter their own property with tacky signs or threaten to involve LEO or WDFW in trivial matters....

Thankfully, for every paranoid, entitled, and self-obsessed waterfront property owner, I’ve run into dozens of friendly ones. On the same river, I’ve had property owners offer me beer, lasagna, and even to let me park at their house for easier river access.... all from people I had never met before....

People are about as happy as they make their mind to be....and I doubt this global pandemic has changed anyone’s mind or attitude....but with all the talk about reporting people for not social distancing while fishing and threatening law suits if fishing gets shut down again, you gotta wonder why some people fish in the first place....

I fish because it makes me happy... and I will be taking the same sense of responsibility and the same smile with me to the river on Tuesday.... no change.... if we happen to run into each other, I’ll try to add to your happiness by being friendly .... but if you try to police me and steal my joy by pushing your ideas on me while I’m fishing, I will not appreciate it. I will try to ignore you, but in all likelihood, I’ll probably end up laughing at you and catching fish in front of you.... cause that’s worked in the past....

Y’all be happy.....

Last edited:

Wyobee

I've never heard of that provision of being a native born in Montana but not living here. That's one way to scoot under the Quarantine.
Yeah it's a new provision this season for hunting and fishing in MT, I'd never seen it before at least. I think it's cool because it falls in my favor and it recognizes that the hunting and fishing is a familial activity. I'm going with/invited by my dad who is 83, he's a bad ass.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Yeah it's a new provision this season for hunting and fishing in MT, I'd never seen it before at least. I think it's cool because it falls in my favor and it recognizes that the hunting and fishing is a familial activity. I'm going with/invited by my dad who is 83, he's a bad ass.
That would be cool, but you might want to speak to someone in MT first. Looks like there might be sort of a catch22. According to the latest press release I saw, the 14-day quarantine still applies. Maybe there's a loophole not stated here, but if it still applies to residents...

"Montana’s travel quarantine will remain in effect and out of state travelers and residents arriving from another state or country back to Montana for non-work related purposes are required to quarantine for 14 days."

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I've had the same thing happen to me by a land owner on the S/F Stilly. She was on her property and I was way below the high water mark on the river. She was screaming at me through the trees. She was bitching that I walked through her property to get to the river. When I accessed the river by a bridge. I told her to go to hell with a few choice words. She shut up and I never heard her again.

MTThrower

That would be cool, but you might want to speak to someone in MT first. Looks like there might be sort of a catch22. According to the latest press release I saw, the 14-day quarantine still applies. Maybe there's a loophole not stated here, but if it still applies to residents...

"Montana’s travel quarantine will remain in effect and out of state travelers and residents arriving from another state or country back to Montana for non-work related purposes are required to quarantine for 14 days."

Current Eastern WA resident born in MT. As far as I know this provision has nothing to do with fishing, it has to do with the move to fully online licensing for MT FWP as a whole and predominantly applies to hunting although it looks like there is a reduced rate for fishing license also. This change on the FWP website predates the COVID shutdown. It does not give any special protection with regards to other restrictions AFAIK.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter

Very interesting, that press release. Thank you, Northern

Imflyfishman99

I guess in reply you are correct that fishing was never banned in MT but shelter in place rule made it difficult, but he restrictions are being lifted and bars opening Monday maybe? And I've already purchased my license under the provision of a native born montanan currently living out of State, no rules are being broken and I promise to avoid Butte always been a cantankerous bunch.

I agree in some form to Old Man. He is a Montanan. Montana has mandates for a 14 day quarentine for non residents. Even if you have been tested for Covid -19 and are asymptomatic you still may infect others. I get you have bought your license. But this is not about you. You have an adult decision to make.

castsN2trees

I've had the same thing happen to me by a land owner on the S/F Stilly. She was on her property and I was way below the high water mark on the river. She was screaming at me through the trees. She was bitching that I walked through her property to get to the river. When I accessed the river by a bridge. I told her to go to hell with a few choice words. She shut up and I never heard her again.

that’s awesome.... you can probably get away with things I can’t...with my accent, I’d probably end up getting shot....

The first time I ran into her, I was actually fishing with a neighbor who had asked me to take him fishing...and who is a policeman in the next town over....we found it amusing that she was threatening to call the cops when one was standing right there...

a couple hundred yards down river from her property he caught his first trout on a fly rod.... and 30 minutes further down river, we ran into Pete Carroll.... he was extremely humble and friendly, even though my neighbor went full-fanboy on him....

I learned a long time ago that you can’t make miserable people happy, but you can keep them from messing up yours....instead of a stressed out day, my neighbor had a day he’ll never forget.....

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I agree in some form to Old Man. He is a Montanan. Montana has mandates for a 14 day quarentine for non residents. Even if you have been tested for Covid -19 and are asymptomatic you still may infect others. I get you have bought your license. But this is not about you. You have an adult decision to make.
I'm not full blooded Montana. I'm a transplant from Washington. 14 years ago I moved to Twin Bridges. Now live in Butte. The fishless city in the State.

Wyobee

Ouch, listen I'm happy to abide by the rules and I won't go, as I stated in previous post if costs me fourteen days, but as an adult, I'm not doing it out fear of a virus but out consideration of other's fears that I fully admit are justified. Still the whole adult thing is puzzling I hope I never quite fit into that dark rigid box where so many find happiness.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts