Opening Day - what responsibility are you going to take?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
that’s awesome.... you can probably get away with things I can’t...with my accent, I’d probably end up getting shot....

The first time I ran into her, I was actually fishing with a neighbor who had asked me to take him fishing...and who is a policeman in the next town over....we found it amusing that she was threatening to call the cops when one was standing right there...

a couple hundred yards down river from her property he caught his first trout on a fly rod.... and 30 minutes further down river, we ran into Pete Carroll.... he was extremely humble and friendly, even though my neighbor went full-fanboy on him....

I learned a long time ago that you can’t make miserable people happy, but you can keep them from messing up yours....instead of a stressed out day, my neighbor had a day he’ll never forget.....

Was Pete fishing?

castsN2trees

Was Pete fishing?
Yes he was...

About 150ft upriver, I spotted him fishing a run.... I said to my neighbor... “you know who that is, don’t you... that’s Pete Carroll”....he said I was wrong, and I was like “ok, then”... as we got closer, he got excited and started loud whispering “that’s Pete Carroll, that’s Pete Carroll”....

we got out of the river about 100ft above him and walked down the rivers edge, then dipped into the edge of the woods to the run he was fishing...he turned and acknowledged us and asked if we were catching fish.... I told him we’d got into a couple and asked if he’d had any luck.... he said “no, not yet” so I asked what flies he was using....he replied some nymphs he’d bought at a shop...he pulled in his line and showed me... And I told him “ yea, that’s your problem right there, those aren’t the nymphs you want”... I gave him a couple of the nymphs that work well on that river, then opened another box and showed him a streamer I use... “you got any of these?”... “no, not like those” he replied, so I gave him several of them too... “you’re giving me these flies?” he asked... and I explained one of the only superstitions I have is that if I don’t give away flies, I won’t catch fish.... he said “Thanks, my name is Pete”...we shook hands and I introduced him to my neighbor.... who still hadn’t said anything the whole time....as we said goodbye and headed out, my neighbor blurted out “ Good luck this season, go Hawks”

it was pretty cool...

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Yes he was...

About 150ft upriver, I spotted him fishing a run.... I said to my neighbor... “you know who that is, don’t you... that’s Pete Carroll”....he said I was wrong, and I was like “ok, then”... as we got closer, he got excited and started loud whispering “that’s Pete Carroll, that’s Pete Carroll”....

we got out of the river about 100ft above him and walked down the rivers edge, then dipped into the edge of the woods to the run he was fishing...he turned and acknowledged us and asked if we were catching fish.... I told him we’d got into a couple and asked if he’d had any luck.... he said “no, not yet” so I asked what flies he was using....he replied some nymphs he’d bought at a shop...he pulled in his line and showed me... And I told him “ yea, that’s your problem right there, those aren’t the nymphs you want”... I gave him a couple of the nymphs that work well on that river, then opened another box and showed him a streamer I use... “you got any of these?”... “no, not like those” he replied, so I gave him several of them too... “you’re giving me these flies?” he asked... and I explained one of the only superstitions I have is that if I don’t give away flies, I won’t catch fish.... he said “Thanks, my name is Pete”...we shook hands and I introduced him to my neighbor.... who still hadn’t said anything the whole time....as we said goodbye and headed out, my neighbor blurted out “ Good luck this season, go Hawks”

it was pretty cool...

That's very cool. I never knew he fished.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
Hard to follow that story. My family gave me a year of drift boat storage at Reds for Christmas. Unfortunately no one is available on "opening" day. Son will be over on Friday night and we will fish the weekend together. I most likely fish a favorite mountain lake on the opening.

Last edited:

MikeC

Probably a whitefish
I've heard from guys at my shop he actually fishes quite often over on the west side once seasons open up.

Paul_

I haven’t heard of any news or social media reports on throngs of irresponsible anglers overrunning our waterways today.
I’m sure this weekend will be a zoo, but that is going to be more related to the splash and giggle crowd and not anglers.

Buzzy

I haven’t heard of any news or social media reports on throngs of irresponsible anglers overrunning our waterways today.
I’m sure this weekend will be a zoo, but that is going to be more related to the splash and giggle crowd and not anglers.
WDFW's launch on the SW corner of Potholes (closest WDFW launch to Potholes State Park) was packed today. I saw lots of boats on the reservoir with two or more anglers. Assuming the anglers sharing a boat all live in the same household, no big deal but when I see three men, senior citizenish age in a 16 - 17' fishing boat, no masks, I am fairly certain they're not following guidelines.

Paul_

WDFW's launch on the SW corner of Potholes (closest WDFW launch to Potholes State Park) was packed today. I saw lots of boats on the reservoir with two or more anglers. Assuming the anglers sharing a boat all live in the same household, no big deal but when I see three men, senior citizenish age in a 16 - 17' fishing boat, no masks, I am fairly certain they're not following guidelines.
I’m definitely not saying that did not happen. I’m sure it did.

I was worried I was going to turn on the evening news and see the main headline was-
Angler Fecal Show Happening Across The State.
I didn’t see that (yet, there’s still the 10 and 11 o’clock news to come).

And I admit, I may be looking at it with overly optimistic glasses on...

Old Man

A very Old Man
Them three old men in that boat might not be sick of anything. So if they are not sick why in the hell do they need to wear masks. Not everybody out there is a carrier. Maybe they are like me and just don't go out in public. Except to go to the store.

Buzzy

Them three old men in that boat might not be sick of anything. So if they are not sick why in the hell do they need to wear masks. Not everybody out there is a carrier. Maybe they are like me and just don't go out in public. Except to go to the store.
Jim - how the hell would they know (insert :D) if they're carriers, or not, if they just came back from Winco where one of the checkers didn't know she was a carrier but two days later tested positive for Covid-19 (or is it covid-19)? Hypothetically, of course. I was only quoting the Governor's guideline.

You see, my old buddy, I don't want the pencil neck geek pinheads in Olympia to shut down something we've been longing for. Now: I grant you they were no doubt just fine. Three healthy Duck Dynasty bearded old farts trying to kill some walleye. I hope they filled the boat with walleye and smallmouth and had a fish fry (actually, that sounds good).

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
That's very cool. I never knew he fished.
He comes into Orvis every once in a while, usually on the off season. I met him once there, but know others there have met him many times! Max Unger came in too, I think for a rod, don't recall. But yes Pete does fly fish! Nice guy too!!

Olive bugger

Traditionally for the last 50 years opening day has been a show case, at least around the lower lakes, for stupidity to rear it's ugly head. After a year+ of quarantine and mask and social and medical dictates, I don't see much hope for improvement.

God help the fish, because nobody else seems to want to do so on a large scale.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info