Top Guide Tube Size

fishin_magician

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace the top guide on a Sage Vantage 490-4. Browsing too many different options from Anglersworkshop.com and not sure what to go with.

Does tube size correlate with rod weight? For a 4 weight go with tube size 4? Or is this an actual measurement of diameter of the rod?

Here's what I'm looking at for reference: http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Snake-Brand/Black-Nickel-Large-Loop-Tops

Would appreciate anyone's guidance here - thank you.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Their website says they are open.
They’ve always been super helpful to me and they are local to western WA.
You might give them a call for advice.
SF

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace the top guide on a Sage Vantage 490-4. Browsing too many different options from Anglersworkshop.com and not sure what to go with.

Does tube size correlate with rod weight? For a 4 weight go with tube size 4? Or is this an actual measurement of diameter of the rod?

Here's what I'm looking at for reference: http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Snake-Brand/Black-Nickel-Large-Loop-Tops

Would appreciate anyone's guidance here - thank you.
4 or 4.5 should work what happen to the original tip

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
Just curious Tom, do you just use the hardware store glue sticks for the electric guns or something specific to rod making/building?

Tom Bowden

Mike, I use Gudebrod “ferrule cement.” My stick is down to about 1/4 inch and Gudebrod is out of business, but I think others make it.

I tried Bohning ferrule-tire, which is used for arrows, and didn’t like it for tip-tops because it sets very fast. It’s good stuff for installing ferrules.

rawalker

I use high temp hot melt sticks I pick up at JoAnn fabrics.
cut tiny slivers of the hot melt and pack them into the tip top. Melt that then quickly stick it on the tip of the blank. I hold the tip top with a pair of needle nose pliers that I wrap in masking tape so as to not scratch the tip top. You can try holding it with your fingers, but it get pretty hot! If it isn't perfectly aligned you have just a few seconds to get it right. If needed you can GENTLY remelt the glue and adjust it. Any excess glue that oozes out can easily be scraped off after it sets with your fingernail.

9140greenie

As Pescaphile has stated, the tip diameter is measured in 64th of an inch. If you are not replacing a tip that was broken, I think the simplest way to get the size tip top is to give Sage a call and ask them. If the tip top was broken and you're trying to put another tip top on, you can: 1) get a micrometer that measures in 64's of an inch. Or if you're good at converting fractions, convert to 64's of an inch from a micrometer that doesn't measure 64's of an inch 2) Buy a tip top measuring tool from Angler's 3) Guess and bracket the sizes it may be i.e. 3,4,5 and buy those sizes.
Tight lines,
Keith

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts