Nikkor Question

teedub

I inherited this - I have a NIKKOR AF-S ED 500mm 1:4 D silent motor Anyone have an idea of what it is worth. I have tried the interweb and get a wide range. Can anyone help?

SpokaneFisherman

KEH (which I'm sure you already checked) is selling that lens for $7500. The Nikon site has the AF-S 500mm F4G ED VR factory refurb for $7700. Obviously at the end of the day it's all based on what someone is willing to pay. I would guess $3500 if you're selling to a used camera house or a shop and about $7000 to a private party.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
If it is the earlier non VR version, and in good shape, they run about $2500. If beat up, hard to get $2k and, if super clean, tops out at $3k. If indeed a VR, might have two versions. I and II. Those add $.

KEH is pretty lowball on sellers, might try to get it checked at good camera store for function, issues.

Go to eBay and check sold items for pricing. The nameplate on the lens will tell all. VR is the key. Proper identification is a must.

Very nice lenses, all versions

Last edited:

teedub

Thanks. I really appreciate the time and experience. As far as I know it was only used once.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Is it the f4 or f5.6 version?

The f5.6 is significantly cheaper but if only used once should fetch like new prices. For a long time there was a waiting list for that lens. I waited over 6 months to get it less than a year ago.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout

This should tell you via serial number which you have

4 different possibilities. 500mm f4 AFS versions I, II, VR G, VR E

the lens nameplate has it all, and lens case also should on first two models. I think the 2 non VR versions had the hard, pale tan suitcases. Not sure on newer VR versions, they went with nylon ballistic black field case I bet.
all lenses should have separate large lens hoods.

lastly, even if an older version, if lens and case are really pristine, it might have higher increased value as many people have pet lenses, like cars, where a clean example can fetch top dollar. But clean must be immaculate.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts