Wild cutthroat in a remote beaver pond

SawyerJones

A coworker and myself went out to a remote lowland beaver pond/lake today. This water is a pretty long drive into the middle of no where and is very beautiful. Arriving at 9 am we were greeted with a hemlock/doug fir lined pond, glowing in the sunlight. Fish were jumping every 10 seconds through out the lake. Got my first fish within 5 minuets of casting from my paddle board. Parachute adams and elkhair matched the hatch good enough for the first two hours. After that the fish almost completely stopped rising and I switched to a brown wooly bugger.

Even through the hottest parts of the lunch hours I kept catching fish after fish on that leech looking pattern. I probably caught 20 fish today. All coastal cutthroat, the biggest a mere 11 inches, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a blast catching and releasing these little natives over and over, all day long.

I would have taken more pictures but I didnt want to bring my phone out on the paddle board, so thanks to my friend for taking some pics for me!

I am so SO, SO selfpic1.jpg selfpic2.jpg selfpic3.jpg excited to be back fishing. The months ahead are the best time of the year when I get to stalk wild trout in our states skinny streams. I wish you all a prosperous fishing season this summer!!!

Last edited:

Kyle Smith

Beautiful fish. Looks like a fun day. Not sure where this is, but PSA for all: beaver ponds (except for a few) fall under the general stream fishing season and aren't open yet.
Unless the pond has a name or is on an open stream, right?

SawyerJones

Beautiful fish. Looks like a fun day. Not sure where this is, but PSA for all: beaver ponds (except for a few) fall under the general stream fishing season and aren't open yet.

This is good information! However this tiny lake has a name, and is identified as a lake. It's just so small I refered to it as a pond. Thank you for that information information tho!

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I used to know where there are/was a lot of beaver ponds. Up on the Suiattle river area is loaded with them. But you need to know where.
Or you will trash around in the devils club you can't see out for hours. :)

Elliott5400

Yeah these pics were of the biggest fish of the day. Big or small I'm happy to catch them all
As soon as I saw this title, this pond immediately popped up into my head. Been years since I visited. Not much made me want to come back lol.

See any powerbait ornaments in the bushes? Usually see a few.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts