Unpainted fiberglass blank. Return or not?

Steve Slater

So I've decided to build a 7' 3 wt. for a friend. It's an unpainted fiberglass blank because I like the look of some builds that I've seen. I ordered white thread with yellow for trim. But here's the issue: There's a big blob of glue where the male ferrule was glued into the lower section (see pic below). I've never built on an unpainted blank so I don't know if this is unusual. I already told the vendor that I'd probably return it, but then I'd need to replace with a painted blank to avoid the issue. I'm thinking that the white thread won't hide the glue, and it will look kind of strange to just put a random wrap over that spot anyway. Advice? Any thread colors that you think might look good on the white blank and also cover this issue if I decide to keep it? Can you suggest a vendor that might not have this issue? I could go for a tip-over butt ferrule, bit I kind of like this look.
Thanks,
Steve
IMG_3004.JPG

rawalker

I've seen this on other natural or unpainted blanks, so I think it may just be the nature of the thing.
But, a more careful manufacturer "might" be able to minimize this.
Can't imagine white thread covering it though, or anything else that would go transparent.

Ryan Janos

Yeah, I think I built two of the same blank this year.... When I first took them out of the packaging I was bummed because the off-color marks were noticeable. I found that they're barely noticeable once the rod's wrapped. Your eye doesn't track to them like it does on a "naked" blank. If you're looking for a perfect build, you bought the wrong blank... but it was cheap!;)

Tom Bowden

Maybe the yellow thread would hide the glue spot, and match your trim wraps. Then do matching yellow wraps at the end of the female section and at the point where the spigot ends when the rod is assembled.

You may want to use varnish, rather than epoxy, on the wraps. The varnish will darken the wraps a bit, and is much easier to remove if you don't like the look, or if the yellow doesn't cover the glue.

Steve Slater

Thanks, everyone. for the suggestions.
What about using a color preserver to prevent transparency at the ferrules, full length wrap on the female.
I was thinking that, but I've never used it on white thread and thought it might still be transparent. Any specific experience with this?

Steve Slater

Yeah, I think I built two of the same blank this year.... When I first took them out of the packaging I was bummed because the off-color marks were noticeable. I found that they're barely noticeable once the rod's wrapped. Your eye doesn't track to them like it does on a "naked" blank. If you're looking for a perfect build, you bought the wrong blank... but it was cheap!;)
True, it was cheap. IMHO, fiberglass blanks should be, but I understand that ya get what ya pay for. :) Were you happy with the action on the completed rod?

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
Thanks, everyone. for the suggestions.

I was thinking that, but I've never used it on white thread and thought it might still be transparent. Any specific experience with this?
CP should lock the color as it is on the spool, but you could test the effect on the base where your reel seat or grip will be placed. If you like it go for it, if not it will be covered anyway.

Ryan Janos

True, it was cheap. IMHO, fiberglass blanks should be, but I understand that ya get what ya pay for. :) Were you happy with the action on the completed rod?
I made a pair for friends of mine as a gift, and on review I actually built on a 4wt model. I only lawn cast them. I'll say that they cast comfortably with a wide range of lines. I even tried a WF6F and it was usable up to about 40'. I assume that you're not trying to bomb it out there with this build so you'll be happy with the slow action/feel in close.

And as far as cheap blanks go, I've built on a lot of them and can't see myself shelling out for a high end blank any time soon. Most of the budget blanks I've used have exceeded my expectations.

Steve Slater

CP should lock the color as it is on the spool, but you could test the effect on the base where your reel seat or grip will be placed. If you like it go for it, if not it will be covered anyway.
Makes sense. I need to cut
I made a pair for friends of mine as a gift, and on review I actually built on a 4wt model. I only lawn cast them. I'll say that they cast comfortably with a wide range of lines. I even tried a WF6F and it was usable up to about 40'. I assume that you're not trying to bomb it out there with this build so you'll be happy with the slow action/feel in close.

And as far as cheap blanks go, I've built on a lot of them and can't see myself shelling out for a high end blank any time soon. Most of the budget blanks I've used have exceeded my expectations.
Yep, it's for small streams. Hoping for something slow and relaxing to catch little cutties. Thanks.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts