Eating your catch

Jesseg122

How many of you either eat what you catch or solely catch and release? I personally only catch what I can eat and if I'm not planning on eating trout that day I only release. That being said what is you ideal size trout when it comes to eating for one. Say if your out camping by yourself?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
When the water is cold, up to about this time of year, I keep a few of the put-n-take stockers to eat. My wife and I will eat one 9-11" each, so often two. If well cared for, I bleed and ice right away, they will stay good up to a week in the fridge. I don't freeze anymore. I keep put-n-take triploids to smoke, especially when we don't get to steelhead or salmon fish like this year. All river fish and big trout from other waters go free. My wife likes it 'cause she knows I'm cookin'. I do 1/2 the time anyway.
20200513_dinner.jpg

Last edited:

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I will only keep trout if they are bleeding. Thank goodness very few are bleeding when I catch them. One of the reasons why I like to fly fish is rarely do they ever bleed. A couple of years ago Montana Fish and Game wanted fish harvested within a certain slot limit on Rock Creek. I did keep some fish that week to eat.

PhilR

I'll keep hatchery steelhead in the rare instance I actually catch one. Otherwise, all other fish go back. I won't keep wild fish, and stocker trout just don't do it for me.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I will only keep trout if they are bleeding. Thank goodness very few are bleeding when I catch them. One of the reasons why I like to fly fish is rarely do they ever bleed.
Yes, when you go through 30+ stocker fish a day sometimes one gets the eye or something. The two I kept the other day, one had a power bait treble in it's mouth, the other 1/2 a pink worm hanging out it's a*s and 3' of leader out it's mouth. I kept that triploid with the deformed face the other day that wasn't feeding well too.

troutstalker

Fish or Die
I practice catch and release 99% of the time when fishing freshwater. I do keep saltwater fish and will occasionally keep a trout or two if camping or if I bring a small cookstove / Coleman pocket stove which hasn't happened in quite some time.

Rob Allen

How many of you either eat what you catch or solely catch and release? I personally only catch what I can eat and if I'm not planning on eating trout that day I only release. That being said what is you ideal size trout when it comes to eating for one. Say if your out camping by yourself?

11 inch brook trout is as good as trout gets.

Other trout aren't worth eating. If i had a place to catch sizable yellow perch. I'd have no problems buying worms, bobbers and bringing home a stringer full once a month.

No issues whatsoever killing at eating Hatchery salmon or steelhead..

SawyerJones

11 inch brook trout is as good as trout gets.

Other trout aren't worth eating. If i had a place to catch sizable yellow perch. I'd have no problems buying worms, bobbers and bringing home a stringer full once a month.

No issues whatsoever killing at eating Hatchery salmon or steelhead..

I really hope to catch an edible size brook trout sometime this summer. I've heard they taste great.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I ate a lot of trout growing up. Havent eaten one in probably close to 25 years, and honestly have zero interest in eating them anymore, and you probably couldn't pay me to eat a stocker rainbow from any of our lakes.

That said.. Kamloops rainbows cooked over a campfire on the shore of a BC lake are fantastic. Brook trout are delicious, though not technically trout I suppose. Every sea run cutthroat I ate in my youth was very tasty. And any trout caught on a backpacking trip and cooked up over a fire in my youth was wonderful.

I do catch and eat plenty of salmon, lingcod, rockfish, halibut, and albacore. Im definitely not against the concept of keeping and eating a fish.

Jesseg122

Whenever I go camping with fishing in mind, I always try to expect that I'm going to be eating fish for dinner but just in case I bring food for either I dont catch anything or I dont catch a trout big enough to me for eating. I always carry some fish seasoning and a lemon. Idk about you guys but I love the tast of cooked trout ontop of hashbrowns. Very quick and good camping dinner. Kinda like a all in one pot meal

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I'm not much into eating trout. The last ones I kept to eat was 10 years ago when I kept 2 sea run cutthroat from the Cowlitz. Cowlitz cutts are predominately hatchery origin. A 12 to 14" trout is enough to make a meal for me. The SRC I kept were larger, so they made two dinners for my wife and I. I might keep a trout for dinner when backpacking. Salmon are a different story. I fish for them partly for fun and very much for the prospect of taking them home to eat, provided they are high quality fish. Otherwise I've become mostly a CNR fisherman.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I haven't intentionally killed a trout since 1999. I was fishing my secret hole on a river in northern NM, and decided to keep two nice browns (in part to prove to my wife that I sometimes actually caught fish). When I gutted them by the stream, to my dismay, one was full of eggs and the other full of milt. I had killed not two, but generations of trout! Since then, I only keep trout if I accidentally kill them. I prefer burgers, anyway.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts