Long Black Bug

SeattleFarq

Should be OlympiaFarq now...
Not sure if this is aquatic, but I figured I'd ask here anyways. I saw it working its way across the road near our house. We don't have any streams or stillwater immediately nearby, but I've seen caddis and mayflies in our yard, so maybe there's water around I don't know about. Anyways, this thing was maybe an inch, inch and a half long. Legs only in the front, with a long body extending behind it. All black. Any thoughts?
20200516_184738.jpg

Kpstrawn

Kurtis
It is likely a larval Rove Beetle of the family Staphylinidae. Very common though not often seen because they live in decaying matter. This is a very good critter to have around as they are highly predatory and like to eat termites. This one is not big enough to inflict a bite on a person but some species can. It is likely in the last stage of being a larva and will turn to the adult stage in the next few weeks.

How did you come up with a Rove Beetle of the family Staphylinidae? I googled Staphylinidae larvae and found nothing that looked similar.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts