Frog pattern assist please

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
I want to try a new frog pattern i found, and am seeking pro-tips on color. I haven’t noticed a ton of difference in level of interest by color when it comes to poppers; most of mine tend to be in green, yellow, or purple tones.

Advice? Link to pattern below.

More generally, interested in advice from the bass warriors among you on colors when it comes to top water bass. Trout in rivers/creeks are my lifetime ride-or-die, but as years have gone on i have dabbled more and more in top water, and as i live right next to a lake with solid warm water fishery, feel i should take advantage. Hey trout - my heart is yours, but my rod is....community property.

bakerite

Last year I used the first slider I put on for most of the summer. If they are hitting the top it doesn't make much difference. Having some different styles of bugs makes more difference to me. Dahlberg divers sometimes work better for me than a conventional bug. I make a lot of simple ones with foam from the hobby store that work well.

Last edited:

bakerite

i caught 2 on top yesterday, but 6 on the big purple wooley bugger hanging off the ass of the bug. Instead of a hopper and a dropper its a bug and a bugger. it was almost like chironomid fishing. I would make the cast, the bugger would drop and if the bug even looked strange, there would be a fish. This tactic doesn't work so well if there are lots of bluegill, unless you like catching them.

Last edited:

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I’m going to give this one a shot this spring.
SF

That guy missed the point of the gutless frog. His version will be weedy as hell. Don’t do it that way.

The key is that the point of the hook needs to be in the plane of the body, so that which ever way up it lands, it won’t snag. When a fish gets it, I has to clamp down and deflect the loop of foam out of the way of the hook point in order for you to stick it. Same concept as a Texas worm rig.

I have caught a lot of fish on gutless frogs, mostly because I like fishing them due to their total goofyness.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
That guy missed the point of the gutless frog. His version will be weedy as hell. Don’t do it that way.

The key is that the point of the hook needs to be in the plane of the body, so that which ever way up it lands, it won’t snag. When a fish gets it, I has to clamp down and deflect the loop of foam out of the way of the hook point in order for you to stick it. Same concept as a Texas worm rig.

I have caught a lot of fish on gutless frogs, mostly because I like fishing them due to their total goofyness.
He did say that was his take on the gutless frog, which is part of the fun of fly tying.
Putting your own spin on a proven pattern.

I have seen the original as well as you described.
Just my opinion, but not all topwater patterns need to be totally weedless.
I’ve caught a lot of bass over the years casting parallel along the edges of pads versus into them, so a totally weedless pattern isn’t needed all the time for the topwater game.
Smallies in open water with topwaters is the best.
SF

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
He did say that was his take on the gutless frog, which is part of the fun of fly tying.
Putting your own spin on a proven pattern.

I have seen the original as well as you described.
Just my opinion, but not all topwater patterns need to be totally weedless.
I’ve caught a lot of bass over the years casting parallel along the edges of pads versus into them, so a totally weedless pattern isn’t needed all the time for the topwater game.
Smallies in open water with topwaters is the best.
SF
I fish zero weedless patterns even in places like potholes and I do ok. I focus mainly on covering water and casting up to the cattails or cover. Even to point popper touches them. The facts are that a big bass in heavy cover is best suited for a gear rod and 65 pound braided test. How do I counter that? Fish more open water.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I fish zero weedless patterns even in places like potholes and I do ok. I focus mainly on covering water and casting up to the cattails or cover. Even to point popper touches them. The facts are that a big bass in heavy cover is best suited for a gear rod and 65 pound braided test. How do I counter that? Fish more open water.
I agree. More often than not I don’t fish weedless flies either. Weedless flies and weedguards definitely hook a lower proportion of the fish that take them and fly gear is not the way to get the fish out! However, chucking a weedless fly into the holes in serious vegetation can lead to some serious fun, even if the chances of landing the fish are really low.

So that’s what I use the gutless frog for. I really don’t think it’s a particularly good fly to fish open water with.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts