Chopaka and Stevens county

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
You need to take a chill pill. A half a dozen campers spread over 8-10 acres is not like theft. It's a ridiculous over reaction to say that these "law breakers" are somehow putting others at risk. Your reaction to camp fires is similar. First, there hasn't been a fire ban up there at this time of year in the last 20 years, so if people have a fire it's not an act of civil disobedience. I was up there and saw no sign indicating there was a fire ban, so others may have had similar experiences. There are fire pits with metal walls that extend about 16 inches and are located in gravel patches that are a long way from anything flammable. In addition, those fire pits are located in a huge frickin green meadow. It's highly unlikely that anyone will burn the area down. Take a deep breath.

Way back in Forestry school we were told to NOT break any laws pertaining to camping, fish and wildlife, etc. etc. It reflects badly on the profession and could get you immediately fired.

I still get mad at laws being passed and posted and then NOT ENFORCED.

Really, the only people affected are those that follow the law.

Or for those like in my case, that couldn't be caught breaking a regulation. I have paid campground fees when I knew the agency shouldn't be charging fees, but they were too lazy to remove the sign. In one case, I did get a letter of apology and my check returned seven months later when then opened up the campground in the spring.

I just wish that Governor's, and agencies if they pass emergency orders they follow up and enforce them. If your not going to enforce them DON"T PASS EMERGENCY ORDERS.

Enforce the regulations fairly or repeal them them....Don't play games by saying this is the law, but we will not enforce it!!!

BTW....the BLM considers the campground at Chopaka a campground, not dispersed camping.

girlfisher

You need to take a chill pill. A half a dozen campers spread over 8-10 acres is not like theft. It's a ridiculous over reaction to say that these "law breakers" are somehow putting others at risk. Your reaction to camp fires is similar. First, there hasn't been a fire ban up there at this time of year in the last 20 years, so if people have a fire it's not an act of civil disobedience. I was up there and saw no sign indicating there was a fire ban, so others may have had similar experiences. There are fire pits with metal walls that extend about 16 inches and are located in gravel patches that are a long way from anything flammable. In addition, those fire pits are located in a huge frickin green meadow. It's highly unlikely that anyone will burn the area down. Take a deep breath.
Mr. Tuna: Earlier, you launched some sarcastic remarks from an indirect post. Instead of raining down on you with insulting comments I choose to rally with some sarcasm of my own. The campers I saw in the southern, DNR campground were probably there for an overnight stay and thus defying the law. I plead guilty to over reacting and am proud not to be among those who have failed to react!

The town I live in had a fire ban sign in place earlier this spring, less than 10 feet from a County sign showing the total number of wildfires caused by outdoor burning. Conversations with both the County and DNR indicated that there were no fire bans at the area in question. It was my understanding that there were temporary fire bans that were recently lifted with the advent of some welcome rains. This was not the case and my apologies if I have misled anyone. And yes, I am thankful for being able to take a deep breath in this time of crisis.

Big Tuna

Mr. Tuna: Earlier, you launched some sarcastic remarks from an indirect post. Instead of raining down on you with insulting comments I choose to rally with some sarcasm of my own. The campers I saw in the southern, DNR campground were probably there for an overnight stay and thus defying the law. I plead guilty to over reacting and am proud not to be among those who have failed to react!

The town I live in had a fire ban sign in place earlier this spring, less than 10 feet from a County sign showing the total number of wildfires caused by outdoor burning. Conversations with both the County and DNR indicated that there were no fire bans at the area in question. It was my understanding that there were temporary fire bans that were recently lifted with the advent of some welcome rains. This was not the case and my apologies if I have misled anyone. And yes, I am thankful for being able to take a deep breath in this time of crisis.

I appreciate you calling me "Mister."

muknuk

I fished this past week at Chopaka and really felt angry at the disregard to the rules. My other friends all felt the same way and I had to calm then down. There were at least 30 camping in spite of signs saying no camping. I spoke with the BLM guy that was there and flied a report, but he simply shrugged his shoulders. I feel conflicts at the site will be inevitable in the future unless BLM enforces the rules or removes the restrictions.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I just saw that the governor's list of 22 counties where camping opens June 1 does not include Okanogan, which covers a whole lotta' central WA. Dang! I was thinking of going for a drive that would involve camping.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I’ve always chuckled at the term “coastie”...most folks in that category live in the greater I5 corridor, far from the coast.

The I-5 corridor is part of the coast.

I spent a lot of time writing a EIS for the Snoqualmie Pass area. The marbled murrelet is a “coastal bird” that is endangered and its habitat JUST crosses Snoqualmie Pass.

So IF the BIRD is a coastie.....that means all the humans west of the pass also meet that definition.

Follow the biology. It is the truth.

We MUST follow the science.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
The I-5 corridor is part of the coast.

I spent a lot of time writing a EIS for the Snoqualmie Pass area. The marbled murrelet is a “coastal bird” that is endangered and its habitat JUST crosses Snoqualmie Pass.

So IF the BIRD is a coastie.....that means all the humans west of the pass also meet that definition.

Follow the biology. It is the truth.

We MUST follow the science.

Vladimir, does that make me an invasive species, I was born in NY?

B

bennysbuddy

When have the "coasties" ever obeyed the rules? That is why "east siders" have contempt towards west side visitors.
East sides seem to have no contempt for west side money when they are using their snap card or cashing thier welfare checks.Next time your family needs medical attention take them to your local vet, not to a west side hospital & then not pay the bill.

Gyrfalcon21

If we are going biological, I use the beautiful Black-billed Magpies as the line of the Cascade crest. I wish we had Magpies on the westside. Seeing one of those magnificent birds is always a great thing.

I agree with some here, Central WA has it's own geographic coolness and I like that, not West versus East.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts