Chopaka and Stevens county

Buzzy

If we are going biological, I use the beautiful Black-billed Magpies as the line of the Cascade crest. I wish we had Magpies on the westside. Seeing one of those magnificent birds is always a great thing.

I agree with some here, Central WA has it's own geographic coolness and I like that, not West versus East.
Geographical - your choice of the magpie is better than what my dad and I used to associate with "Eastern" Washington (Sequim residents way back then): rattlesnakes. I inherited my dad's respect (okay, fear) of snakes. And for what it is worth, dad used to come to "Eastern" WA to hunt deer in the Methow River Valley...... Eastern? ;-)

Where in this state is there not geographic coolness? Yes, I love what the ice age floods have done to the landscape in the Basin and how those same flood events allow us to see the transition from granite to basalt as you drive along Banks Lake but I also loved growing up on the OP in the shadow of the Olympics and having the Dungeness River a stones throw away. Dungeness Spit, Ediz Hook, the glacial till of the Elwha.......

Last time I checked, this is still just Washington State.

Gyrfalcon21

Geographical - your choice of the magpie is better than what my dad and I used to associate with "Eastern" Washington (Sequim residents way back then): rattlesnakes. I inherited my dad's respect (okay, fear) of snakes. And for what it is worth, dad used to come to "Eastern" WA to hunt deer in the Methow River Valley...... Eastern? ;-)

Where in this state is there not geographic coolness? Yes, I love what the ice age floods have done to the landscape in the Basin and how those same flood events allow us to see the transition from granite to basalt as you drive along Banks Lake but I also loved growing up on the OP in the shadow of the Olympics and having the Dungeness River a stones throw away. Dungeness Spit, Ediz Hook, the glacial till of the Elwha.......

Welll put. A beautiful place of stark contrasts in one package.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The I-5 corridor is part of the coast.

I spent a lot of time writing a EIS for the Snoqualmie Pass area. The marbled murrelet is a “coastal bird” that is endangered and its habitat JUST crosses Snoqualmie Pass.

So IF the BIRD is a coastie.....that means all the humans west of the pass also meet that definition.

Follow the biology. It is the truth.

We MUST follow the science.
Scientific fact. Like those in eastern and central WA, and those in eastern-central, western-central, and western-eastern WA, (eastern-eastern WA is too redundant for this scientific fact) I too have to travel to get to the coast.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Vladimir, does that make me an invasive species, I was born in NY?

Maybe....but really your more like a barred owl, expanding your range. Not that there aren’t problems with expanded ranges. The Federal government is shooting the Barred Owls to protect the Spotted Owls!!

However, now that you mention it....I am DEFINITELY a invasive species having been born in Venezuela. No prior family members in the US, not speaking English so yep definitely an invasive species.

The good news is that my reproductive offspring are minor and there is a good possibility that the gene pool will not spread. An invasive species does take over its environment.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Only because of a very bad decision.....years, and years ago.

On Jan. 10, 1866, the Idaho legislature itself, apparently tired of dealing with North Idaho complaints about the inconvenience of having to come to Boise to do government business, suggested creation of a new territory of Columbia, made up of eastern Washington, North Idaho and Western Montana, and in 1867 Lewiston citizens met to endorse annexation to Washington preliminary to getting a Columbia Territory measure through Congress. In January 1868, the Washington legislature requested congressional passage of a North Idaho annexation bill.

Complete link here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article40860420.html

Think about it.....My fishing license would be good in eastern Washington, North Idaho and western Montana!!!

The state of Columbia, would have been my home since 1972!!!

My Senators and Governors would actually reply to my questions!!! I would not have to explain to my daughter why Washington is the Evergreen state, when it is always BROWN. Life would be good.

It is not too late to fix historical mistake!!

Oh...for a sign on Stevens Pass.....Entering the STATE OF COLUMBIA. HAVE A NICE VISIT.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Supporter
Once Okanogan County went to Phase 2, I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Chopaka was free game. I drove over last Saturday and took the last spot in the BLM campground. Both the WSFW and Okanogan County Sheriff visited the lake during my stay. No one word was uttered regarding campground closures.

The weather was problematic with rain, wind and cool temps. Last Monday, the weather cleared so the you could see the top of Chopaka Mt. with fresh snow on the last 500ft.

Fishing was good. Chironomids ruled the day for me. Fishing 10ft of water with flies suspended 20” off bottom. There were sporadic callibaetis hatches that attracted my attention. I took several fish using comparaduns in right size and color. But productivity dictated chironomids.

Damsels were hatching and stomach pumps indicated trout were taking them. Other fishers were working edges of weeds with damsel nymphs on floating line and doing well.

Warmer weather should promote insect activity but I think this cold snap will allow good fishing for another 2 weeks.

396E336B-DED1-475E-B783-22BF855CC3EE.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts