Meiser rods

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Well I’m a little late to the party on Meiser rods. Bob had a sale recently on some rods and I couldn’t help myself. I picked up a 11’7” Highlander 4wt trout Spey.

I finally got a chance to hit the water with it this afternoon, what a treat! Aside from being a beautiful rod, it cast like a dream! Very effortless and soulful casting with this stick. The wife ended up txting me and asking if I was ever going to come home? I had to think about that for a minute... then replied I’m on my way!

I ended up catching several small trout swinging soft hackles. At one point I had busted off my Fly and was just having fun casting.

Now I need to figure out how I can pick up a few more of Bob’s rods. I’m addicted! 2CB45274-4A1A-499D-95DF-C63BBF28D669.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
What grain window is it? Meiser’s are pretty broad, I have a 12’6” 345CX that has a 300-450 gr. window.
If you do get another, look at his CX line, different blanks.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
What grain window is it? Meiser’s are pretty broad, I have a 12’6” 345CX that has a 300-450 gr. window.
If you do get another, look at his CX line, different blanks.

I believe it’s 300-450 also. I was using a 305gr Scandi today. Might go up a little bit in grain window. It was a little light with howling winds this afternoon. I tried it with a 10’ 50gr SA Sonar leader in sink 3 That felt pretty good.

Last edited:

Speyrod GB

How would you classify the action of that rod? I have a Loomis short spey 41111. It is rather fast and I have problems feeling the rod flex. I have thought about getting a heavier line. I'm currently using a 270 grain Scandi lite integrated. I'm also thinking about adding a 2 or 3 wt to the spey collection.

That is a sweet looking handle.

Last edited:

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
How would you classify the action of that rod? I have a Loomis short spey 41111. It is rather fast and I have problems feeling the rod flex. I have thought about getting a heavier line. I'm currently using a 270 grain Scandi lite integrated. I'm also thinking about adding a 2 or 3 wt to the spey collection.

Thank you.

I would say a medium action compared to the Sage One I had. It’s a slow easy stroke and you can feel the flex. It’s a real joy to cast! And it’s pretty:)

Speyrod GB

I just might have to give him a call. Maybe a trial rod. I discovered today that my rotator cuff tear is not really ready for my single hand rods yet. Thanks for the response.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I just might have to give him a call. Maybe a trial rod. I discovered today that my rotator cuff tear is not really ready for my single hand rods yet. Thanks for the response.
You won’t regret it, and if it doesn’t work out you’ll get a chance to talk to Bob, who is really nice guy!

cmann886

I suggest two things relative to your Loomis.

1. contact Poppy at the Red Shed in Peck ID and test drive what he recommends and one of The Lee Davison Ballistic lines if they haven them light enough for your taste if you like longer lines, they seem to like fast rods. I use one on two different 5 wt.s and will likely get one more a little heavier later this summer.

2. Contact Steve Godshall and have him build you a custom line for that Rod and your casting preferences.

I have done both and have been very happy. You may find that you are just as happy with more lines as you would be with more lines and more rods. Although they are wonderful rods and nothing wrong with having several or more.

I have the 3wt loomis and throw a 270 Scandi and it seems to load nice, you may want to bump up to a 300.

Uncle Stu

Two hand fly fishing saved my shoulder after I wrecked it casting one-handed for too many hours and days. You're on the right track.

Speyrod GB

Thanks @Bob Rankin. I don't think this rod will be going back. I find it easier to cast than my Loomis. When I do things correctly, casting is almost effortless. It handled a few smaller fish quite well today. BTW, DO NOT tie any of @Ian Horning "lil sculpin"patterns. Fish hit those lil buggers pretty hard.

I did not use any poly leaders today, but I will probably try them out in the next day or so just to see if and what difference they make.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Awesome!!! I new you would love it! They are so easy to cast and fish. They also are not hard on the eyes ether....

Im glad you were able to find some fish!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts