Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hot tent camping

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Matt Foley 
#1 ·
Anyone here go hot tent camping? I've been looking into a starter tent like the one Tigris smokey hut and a small titanium stove. Anyone have experiences, tips, recommendations? Pictures possibly of your setup?

#2 · (Edited)
I assume "hot tent" means a stove? I don't have a stove in any of my tents, but here is a shot of what I use for solo camping. The propane line runs to a heater in the tent.

5E7659E4-AB62-4444-A5AD-294AA3D03C9F.jpeg

I tarp the tent no matter what the weather. It keeps pitch, bird crap and some UV off the fabric. Another tarp is under the tent and a third inside on the floor. This tent is around 30-35 years old. I have a larger version of the same tent that I acquired in 1976, still going strong. Good gear is worth the money.

I like comfort.
1A7A49E9-E59D-4D0E-B456-4B28C5A028F6.jpeg

#3 ·
Well we just called it a wall tent. Then had a small army wall tent (like a traditional tent) that had the stove Jack. We did that for years. I don't use tents much anymore, but instead of a wood stove I've been using an indoor safe Mr Buddy heater. Couple that with the adapter to a bulk tank and it's a safe and comfortable night. I was using a 6 man Cabela's guide tent as a 2 man tent. 2 cots, small table and that propane heater made for a nice comfortable night. Even in the snow.

#6 ·
Yeah, even dampering down you still had to add extra wood or wake up cold. That heater with a bulk tank and I have heat all night.

Reactions: cdnred
#11 ·
I love the photos of your tent, Kilchis. I've used similar tents, 9x12 feet, in canvas or nylon, for decades. For single night use, I throw up a tarp or small dome tent, but for longer stays, up to a month, these big 'uns are like a little cabin, with ample headroom and space for a chair or two, folding table, stove and hanging lantern. I've been alone much of the time, but there's ample room for a buddy. And they don't take too long to set up. This model is harder to find now, so I've shifted to 10 x 10' dome tents, which are adequate, but have less shoulder room.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Nook! I'm in my 70's with a bunch of surgeries behind me and a night on the ground, even with multiple pads under me, means I'm stiff and achy for a couple of days. It also feels really good to stand up straight in the morning. Out of sight to the left in my interior photo is a chair and a Mr. Heater; or a Coleman Black Cat if it's only going to be one or two nights or mild weather. I have the same tent in a larger model that I use when I have company or my wife and three grandspawn.

Funfisher the interior tarp saves wear and tears on the tent floor and provides some protection from dropped matches and spills. Another plus is that when I break camp I can just fold the tarp edges to the center, carry all the collected dirt and needles out with the tarp and my floor is clean so the folded tent fabric isn't working against grit and such.

The best interior feature, though, is that empty mayo jar labeled Pinot Moir. Especially on freezing nights!

#21 ·
Wall tents heated either with a wood stove or the Buddy heaters are more comfortable than any camper or motorhome in really cold weather. It's the condensation issue.
Their spaciousness is nice anytime if you are going to stay in a place for a while.
Had to search for a picture of my little 10' by 12'.
Plant Tarpaulin Tent Leaf Tree
. Here it is set up in a FS Campground. A summer picture but shows the flap where the stove pipes go through. You can also see the blue tarp floor as has been suggested above. If you look closely you can catch a glimpse of a blue Roll-A-Cot. They are made in Spokane. Coupled with a nice foam pad you'll never sleep better.
For hunting camps we used to set up separate sleeping and cooking/gear tents. Luxury.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.