Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Finish motor speed?

Rod Building 
635 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  size26 
#1 ·
I checked the specs from a few manufacturers like flexcoat, CRB, and Pacbay that sell electric turners used to turn blanks when applying finish to thread wraps. Not surprisingly, each offered a different rpm motor. These little AC motors are fixed speed and offered from as slow as 2-3 rpm up to around 50 rpm. One rod builder friend said he used a 10 rpm turner for mixing epoxy, applying finish and drying. Just wondering what rpm or turning speed rod builders prefer when applying finish to thread wraps?

#2 ·
I'm no expert, but I'd say that the slower the better - just enough to keep the epoxy from dripping. 2-3 RPM sounds about right. I've got an obsessive-compulsive friend who's a bamboo rod builder that has a turner that he has computer-controlled to give exact RPM's from 2-30. He uses a motor and rheostat that he yarded out from a sewing machine and feeds it through a program on his PC.

#7 ·
Thanks for these replies. Mainly I was curious if turning the blank faster during application of the epoxy would better level the finished wraps. Intuitively, higher turning speed should generate more centrifugal force evening out the applied epoxy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.