Rage Compact grainage for Beulah platinum

Curious what grainage y'all would recommend for an 11'7" 5wt Beulah Platinum Spey. I use an SA 300gr Skagit lite which is great. The rod fishes like a 4wt more then 5wt so should I go with a 300gr Rage or knock down to a 270gr? Interested to see what those with Rage experience have to say. I believe the Scandi recommendation for this rod is 270gr-300gr.

Thanks guys

SalterLee

WFF Supporter
Each rod is different, as is each caster's preference and stroke but I think the general consensus is to drop from skagit about 30 grains, so a 270 Rage might be the ticket. Most people drop even more for a scandi tapers. Although I've also seen guides fish the exact same skagit and rage grains, I think that it's more about payload they want to cast. If you really want a "Rage" feeling which is somewhere between a Scandi and Skagit, I'd try the 270. If you went 300 I'm guessing the feel would be pretty close to your Skagit and there wouldn't be too much of an advantage.

If you really want a "Rage" feeling which is somewhere between a Scandi and Skagit, I'd try the 270. If you went 300 I'm guessing the feel would be pretty close to your Skagit and there wouldn't be too much of an advantage.
This was my thought exactly. With it being a hybrid type line I don't want it to fish exactly like my Skagit because then there's no need for me to change really. I don't want to go to a full blown Scandi yet so that's why I figured a Rage might be good and I like the ability to throw a little heavier tip if need be without having to switch to a Skagit.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts