Fishing suggestions for a 1937 model fisherman

cmann886

My brother lives in Rapid City SD. Dad lives in Pocatello ID, and I live in the triCities WA. Dad will be 83 in June and we would like to get him on another fishing trip. Dad does not fly fish, but I am certain that he could get a bobber cast out of a drift boat if needed. We have discussed meeting in Thermopolous or Cody and camping and fishing a day or two with a guide. Dad is in reasonable shape (we back packed into the wind river range for his 80th BD) but he is slowing down and is ballance won’t support wading as the rocks are too slick. would appreciate any suggestions.

Old Man

A very Old Man
My brother lives in Rapid City SD. Dad lives in Pocatello ID, and I live in the triCities WA. Dad will be 83 in June and we would like to get him on another fishing trip. Dad does not fly fish, but I am certain that he could get a bobber cast out of a drift boat if needed. We have discussed meeting in Thermopolous or Cody and camping and fishing a day or two with a guide. Dad is in reasonable shape (we back packed into the wind river range for his 80th BD) but he is slowing down and is ballance won’t support wading as the rocks are too slick. would appreciate any suggestions.
I know how your dad feels. I've been trying to stay upright lately. But I keep stumbling on my feet and down I go. I stepped off my ATV trailer and misjudged where the ground was and went over on my ass. it is no fun falling down. I noticed that at the age of 80 I slowed down. Now 85.

MT_Flyfisher

A couple of things come to my mind. The first thing is to keep the water levels in mind when you’re planning your trip so that the streams and rivers near where you’re planning on going to are fishable then. Many rivers in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho aren’t often fishable until the end of June or early July. An exception to that can be tailwaters, like the Bighorn, for example, which would be in the same general area that you mentioned. Of course, you could also consider other Montana or Idaho rivers which would be easily reached by you, your brother, and father. Ones like the South Fork of the Snake, the Bighorn, the Missouri or the Madison come to mind.

The other thing to keep in mind Is that while most drift boats used in Wyoming, Idaho or Montana can accommodate 3 anglers, they are primarily set up to handle just 2 anglers, plus the guide. Make sure to discuss that with the guide or outfitter when you’re making your plans, if all three of you want to be in a boat together. Also, getting into and out of a boat may or may not be an issue for your father, as well as the type of river you choose to float (is more scenic and placid water preferable to white water, for example.)

It sounds like a great thing for your brothers to do, and I’m sure your father will enjoy it greatly.

John

p.s. If your father likes to spin fish, why not let him do that? I’ve often taken friends with me in my drift boat on the Yellowstone River who preferred spin fishing over fly fishing, and with one guy fly fishing and another spin fishing, the spin fisherman often caught the largest fish of the day.

Last edited:
I’ve see lots of old duffers fishing the Upper Missouri. It fishes with nymphs under an indicator but can offer dry fly fishing for those inclined.

There are several outfitters located in Craig than can supply guides, boats and gear, if needed.

The scenery and history is spectacular. It is always a thrill to retrace Lewis and Clark’s path.

cmann886

A couple of things come to my mind. The first thing is to keep the water levels in mind when you’re planning your trip so that the streams and rivers near where you’re planning on going to are fishable then. Many rivers in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho aren’t often fishable until the end of June or early July. An exception to that can be tailwaters, like the Bighorn, for example, which would be in the same general area that you mentioned. Of course, you could also consider other Montana or Idaho rivers which would be easily reached by you, your brother, and father. Ones like the South Fork of the Snake, the Bighorn, the Missouri or the Madison come to mind.

The other thing to keep in mind Is that while most drift boats used in Wyoming, Idaho or Montana can accommodate 3 anglers, they are primarily set up to handle just 2 anglers, plus the guide. Make sure to discuss that with the guide or outfitter when you’re making your plans, if all three of you want to be in a boat together. Also, getting into and out of a boat may or may not be an issue for your father, as well as the type of river you choose to float (is more scenic and placid water preferable to white water, for example.)

It sounds like a great thing for your brothers to do, and I’m sure your father will enjoy it greatly.

John

p.s. If your father likes to spin fish, why not let him do that? I’ve often taken friends with me in my drift boat on the Yellowstone River who preferred spin fishing over fly fishing, and with one guy fly fishing and another spin fishing, the spin fisherman often caught the largest fish of the day.
Likely we would hire two guides and trade off who is in the boat with Dad. Fishing where a spinner with a single barbless hook is allowed is a probable best scenario.

MT_Flyfisher

Likely we would hire two guides and trade off who is in the boat with Dad. Fishing where a spinner with a single barbless hook is allowed is a probable best scenario.

That sounds perfect. One of my friends who spin fished always removed treble hooks from his spinners and replaced them with a single barbless hook which worked great.

Also, in case you would decide on a Montana destination, the state’s requirement for a 14 day quarantine for out of state residents was just lifted several day’s ago.

ADDED UPON EDIT: I should have said they announced that it would be lifted as of June 1.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
That sounds perfect. One of my friends who spin fished always removed treble hooks from his spinners and replaced them with a single barbless hook which worked great.

Also, in case you would decide on a Montana destination, the state’s requirement for a 14 day quarantine for out of state residents was just lifted several day’s ago.
I just read through all of the directives on the Covid 19 Quarantine. I didn't see where it has been lifted. I might of missed it. But I don't think so.

Edit. The 14 day quarantine has not been lifted. It is still in effect. I had to go to google to find it. The latest date on this was just 18 hours old.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Premium
Dad does not fly fish, but I am certain that he could get a bobber cast out of a drift boat if needed. We have discussed meeting in Thermopolous or Cody and camping and fishing a day or two with a guide.
Cody, huh? Ten years ago my long-time fishing buddy and I swung up to the NF Shoshone after spending a couple of days camping-fishing the deep canyon section of the MF Powder. Lost and landed two of the biggest FW trout I've ever hooked in the NFS. It was floatable when we were there in Sept.

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

I just read through all of the directives on the Covid 19 Quarantine. I didn't see where it has been lifted. I might of missed it. But I don't think so.

Edit. The 14 day quarantine has not been lifted. It is still in effect. I had to go to google to find it. The latest date on this was just 18 hours old.

See this, effective June 1:

MT_Flyfisher

But you stated that it already had happened. June 1st is still 11 days away.

Yes I did say that, which was an error and I’ve since amended my original post. When I made my original post I was about to take a nap and must have been thinking that by the time I woke up the quarantine would be lifted.

Old Man

A very Old Man
Yes I did say that, which was an error and I’ve since amended my original post. When I made my original post I was about to take a nap and must have been thinking that by the time I woke up the quarantine would be lifted.
About a week ago somebody else also said the same thing. We kind of talked back and forth. And then went away. And yes I'll be happy when it's gone.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts