River camping rules

river_gettr

I moved to the OP not long ago and now that it's clearing up I want to do some long overnight kayak trips on some of the western OP rivers. Where I'm from, all navigable water is public so I could camp on river islands and along banks depending on the gradient. These long wide banks and islands look great for camping up here. Looking for information on paddler rights for camping along rivers. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

B

bennysbuddy

I moved to the OP not long ago and now that it's clearing up I want to do some long overnight kayak trips on some of the western OP rivers. Where I'm from, all navigable water is public so I could camp on river islands and along banks depending on the gradient. These long wide banks and islands look great for camping up here. Looking for information on paddler rights for camping along rivers. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
It’s all good until you hear the banjo music

river_gettr

I'm familiar with flash floods and hillbilly's, but appreciate the reminder. Sounds like I'm good to go but pack up if it's raining in the mountains or I hear a banjo.

duggiefresh

WTA and even REI have some basic recommendations that make sense. As tempting as it is, try and keep a distance from setting up site near a water source.

And, I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe there will be "paddler rights" for pulling up on possibly someone's land and crashing for the night. Best off looking at the map, finding public lands, and planning on crashing there. Good luck!

Jim Darden

Used to be folks didn't care if you politely camped along the river bank, but now days it is a problem. Now, too many folks from out of state buying the river don't understand the local culture.......

Gyrfalcon2020

Honoring Vets
I have only kayaked my local tidal big river in a sit on top, what could go wrong? Besides a possible 2k lb Stellar Sea Lion, I learned that big boiling swirly eddies are super f*ing spooky and downright frightening. I was hung up in one and I envisioned it becoming a whirlpool so I paddled like hell and barely broke orbit.
Rookie stuff but I pay attention from now on and skirt that stuff.

Not much to relate to your situation.

Heed Stonefish's words about those two rivers he mentions. Famously dangerous water for experienced folks. I have kayak pals and they speak with high regard about those two!

river_gettr

Yeah, not looking for a white water experience so I will be avoiding those two. I intend to stick to the lower flatter reaches of the hoh and bogey. I've read about the butt puckering waters of those two rivers you mentioned. I've done quite a bit of river paddling on class III rivers and that's about all I ever care to do. The only reason I have a kayak is to fish from it. Any recommendations on favorite stretches of the lower hoh and bogey? I'll be going for cutties this weekend. Thanks for all the info thus far.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Yeah, not looking for a white water experience so I will be avoiding those two. I intend to stick to the lower flatter reaches of the hoh and bogey. I've read about the butt puckering waters of those two rivers you mentioned. I've done quite a bit of river paddling on class III rivers and that's about all I ever care to do. The only reason I have a kayak is to fish from it. Any recommendations on favorite stretches of the lower hoh and bogey? I'll be going for cutties this weekend. Thanks for all the info thus far.
sounds like fun. I am intrigued with cutties in rivers. i have caught a few sea runs on two small streams, but would love to catch more on other streams or rivers on the fly

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts