Go fish or stay home?

mjb

I guess I'm a little surprised when some clueless sport posts about venturing out to fish during a pandemic and gets...fishing tips.

Now I agree few activities are more naturally social distancing than flyfishing, but traveling to an area with low virus caseload seems a violation of both the stay home directive and basic consideration for locals. You're going to stop for gas, buy food/sundries, stop at the flyshop for tippets and tips, potentially get into trouble and need help from first responders, etc.

As an OP resident I can tell you the majority sentiment is stay home until everything opens up. But if you do come up, keep your distance, wear a mask and wash your hands.

We're all human and good at finding reasons to justify our actions. Most of us are probably gonna do what we wanna do. I don't mean to start a partisan bickerfest about "freedom", but what's your thinking?

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Whenever I was sick I never ventured out to go fishing of any kind. The public doesn't need to have what ever I had at the time. Now this new shit is really bad crap to have. I try to stay away from people until the all clear is given. And then I will have to give it some thought as to meeting people even then.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
If you bring their own food or buy it and your gas in their own area prior to fishing, I don’t see an issue venturing out to fish.
It is pretty easy to avoid having to stop anywhere along the way other then where you intend to fish.
That is what I’ve been doing since things opened back up and it seems to have worked well with hardly any interaction with others.
Just my perspective on this. Others mileage may vary.
SF

mjb

If you bring their own food or buy it and your gas in their own area prior to fishing, I don’t see an issue venturing out to fish.
It is pretty easy to avoid having to stop anywhere along the way other then where you intend to fish.
That is what I’ve been doing since things opened back up and it seems to have worked well with hardly any interaction with others.
Just my perspective on this. Others mileage may vary.
SF
"Since things opened back up"? In this State?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
but what's your thinking?
My thinking is that whatever we do comes down to risk management. You already agree that flyfishing is a socially distancing activity. The rest comes down to relative risk. Zero risk is never an option that is even on the menu. So the cautious and responsible person does what he or she can to minimize, not eliminate, risk.

At this time I'm considering going fishing more. I fuel up my vehicle near home, but fueling on the road is approximately the same risk as doing so at home. I'll carry grub from home and not expect to dine in at restaurants, although that is beginning to open up. I'll more likely order food to take out. And I'll probably camp because motels and resorts might not be open, and camping is the lowest risk lodging option.

What about accidents? Accidents happen. Almost be definition accidents are the uncommon, not the common, outcome. The uncommon outcome is highly unlikely to overload or surge emergency and health care systems.

That's my thinking.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Right, while the stay home order is in effect as other activities are opened by County by phase...
I’ve fished both in and out of my own county since fishing opened, without any stops outside my own neighborhood other then to fish.
If you feel that is wrong, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing to get out and enjoy some time on the water.
SF

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
"Go fish, stay home"?
Easy go fish!!!!
Here is my .02
From now on I'm very likely to be wearing a mask/buff when I go out in public, to the market, etc.
I have not gone to a movie theater, concert, protest march, or any other butt to butt social gathering.
Way before this virus BS. Sorry the virus is not BS, it's some bad shit and I don't want it or the common cold/flu.
When I stop for fuel up here in OR, I don't have to get out of the rig. Gas pump jockey gets paid to do that.
If I go in the fly shop, market, I just pull up my buff, no problem.
I've been washing up after using public restrooms and not touching handles/door knobs without something covering my hands for years now. There are a lot of sick folks out there and I don't want their crud
Thanks for letting me rant

mjb

My thinking is that whatever we do comes down to risk management. You already agree that flyfishing is a socially distancing activity. The rest comes down to relative risk. Zero risk is never an option that is even on the menu. So the cautious and responsible person does what he or she can to minimize, not eliminate, risk.

At this time I'm considering going fishing more. I fuel up my vehicle near home, but fueling on the road is approximately the same risk as doing so at home. I'll carry grub from home and not expect to dine in at restaurants, although that is beginning to open up. I'll more likely order food to take out. And I'll probably camp because motels and resorts might not be open, and camping is the lowest risk lodging option.

What about accidents? Accidents happen. Almost be definition accidents are the uncommon, not the common, outcome. The uncommon outcome is highly unlikely to overload or surge emergency and health care systems.

That's my thinking.
I agree with you, except in this instance you can easily eliminate any risk of transmission to non-local folks by fishing near home.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts