Fantastic lake fishing last night!

Buzzy

Like you guys, I am trying to be really safe as I am still caring for Mom. She’s doing pretty good for 90 but I don’t want to take a chance of bringing something home to her and then feel guilty the rest of my life. So, we are having groceries delivered and I haven’t been to a store since March 6th.

I also haven’t fished since Feb. 8th and I am going crazy! All of my gear is at home except for one ‘car rod’ and a few car flies. Believe it or not, I am boatless here and it is driving me crazy! Next trip home, I am bringing my WaterMaster back with me (I haven’t been home since March). Plus, I am not used to being cooped up in a city apartment and long to be home. But unless I buy a house that is elderly-friendly so I can have Mom move in, it looks like I will be here for a while, although I hope to go back and forth a little more often once restrictions are eased.
Bless you, Sue, for the love and care and caution you provide to and with your mom. I promise I'll save a few trout lips for you when you're able to get out and rip some lips.

longputt

flatten the curve
If I could ask Fauci and Birx one question:

Does flattening the curve mean the same number of cases spread over a longer time or a reduction in the number of cases?

To me, flattening means the same number over a longer time...I think we are going to deal with this crap for a long time....it's not going to zero...ever.

Rock Creek Fan

Does flattening the curve mean the same number of cases spread over a longer time or a reduction in the number of cases?

To me, flattening means the same number over a longer time...I think we are going to deal with this crap for a long time....it's not going to zero...ever.
Ask them does it hurt more if someone rips a bandage off slowly or quickly?

Jamie Wilson

Good point

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Like you guys, I am trying to be really safe as I am still caring for Mom. She’s doing pretty good for 90 but I don’t want to take a chance of bringing something home to her and then feel guilty the rest of my life. So, we are having groceries delivered and I haven’t been to a store since March 6th.
Frustrating, but safe. My mom is 95, nearly blind, and has other handicaps, and I run errands for her. I try to combine them with getting her groceries every 10 to 14 days, but I swear she isn't understanding. She still thinks she can call anytime and ask me to go get something even though I tell her the more often I go on some errand, the greater the likelihood I'll bring the virus to her apartment that kills her. It's hard being a jerk and telling her it can wait. I've come to terms with it, thinking this is what "tough love" looks like.

dflett68

WFF Supporter
You forget that the objective was to flatten the curve so our hospitals could handle the surge of cases. We have done that. They may never find a cure for this disease so we are going to eventually face it or live in a cave. People are beginning to realize we have been given a lot of misinformation about the severity of the disease and the number of cases that would occur. People are exercising their right to access the risks and act according to their judgement. If you are concerned about your exposure, stay home.
misinformation is "inject lysol, knocks it out in a minute!" or maybe "everyone who wants a test can get a test".

modeling and forecasting are fact based speculations intended for preparedness - not prophecies. what's been disseminated from authoritative sources (who work for the misinformer-in-chief, btw) about the severity has been heavily caveated with acknowledgement of how little we really know so far. we still know very little. except for the people on the dock there, they know everything, so they aren't worried. or maybe they just don't care. or maybe they think it is someone else's job to think for them. compromising and balancing between health and economic concerns, relaxing restrictions, easing back in - that's all one thing. to dive straight into shoulder to shoulder social settings with no precaution is moronic and reflects nothing more than people believing what they WANT to believe and acting like the grownups will take care of things. that's exercising wishful thinking, not judgement.

longputt

Frustrating, but safe. My mom is 95, nearly blind, and has other handicaps, and I run errands for her. I try to combine them with getting her groceries every 10 to 14 days, but I swear she isn't understanding. She still thinks she can call anytime and ask me to go get something even though I tell her the more often I go on some errand, the greater the likelihood I'll bring the virus to her apartment that kills her. It's hard being a jerk and telling her it can wait. I've come to terms with it, thinking this is what "tough love" looks like.
Same problem here, I got back from a business trip several weeks back and my mom called and said come over and fix her sprinklers...I said no....15 minutes later she was knocking on my door!

It's a hard adjustment for everyone.

tallguy

I am into data and understanding the trends too, for preparedness and insight (not prophesy, good quote). It's my understanding that flattening the curve isn't necessarily going to mean fewer people getting it in total (we probably all have to get to herd immunity somehow). But it does mean that we keep our hospitals from getting overrun, which seems to have been successful.

What fewer people talk about is that flattening also buys time and should probably reduce death rates as doctors learn and understand how the virus works and how to treat it best. That time allows efficacy data to be collected and implemented. First few months, nobody knows anything and it's all an educated guess (or if a politician, uneducated wild ass guesses that just sound good and look good seem more common). Getting sick at the end of the pandemic probably means you are getting treated with the benefit of lots of hands on experience and knowledge, time for effective drug production to ramp up, optimized med systems to get in play, etc..

If you have to get sick, which seems like the better, smarter option?

jwg

For many this is a severe disease.

Even among some younger folks for reasons we don't understand yet.
I was just talking w my sister in law who knows someone in their twenties with covid complications, and no preexisting conditions.

Our news, and ourselves, has a short attention span, its doesn't seem real if there have not been deaths within 1 or at most two degrees of separation, and exponential math is not what we relate too.

J

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I haven't gone fishing yet. I know of places where I can go launch my boat or kayak and maintain social distancing at the boat launches. Fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, I've been waiting for a part that was on order for my fishing/tow rig ( '04 Subaru Forester), and its been late getting here. The Subaru parts dude called me yesterday afternoon and informed me that my part arrived and he was shipping it out. I should get it by either next W or Th, and its a quick re-install. I hope to be fly fishing for trout in one of my favorite nearby lakes by next Fri at the latest.
I could always go fish for surf perch in waders with spinning gear, but that just ain't the same thing as fly fishing for trout.
Currently, one of my washable cloth facemasks has a beer bottle graphic right over where my nose is covered. I joke that its hard to drink a beer through the mask, but I needed to cut down on the alcohol, anyway.
I was hoping to find a mask with a penis graphic right over the nose area. That way, when someone approaches me too close for safe social distancing, I can warn them. "Back off, please! You are too close. I can be a real dickhead!":D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts