mayfly hatch on Lenore

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
We were driving by Lenore yesterday and the bugs were thick. I could see them in the air and also track them splat, splat,splat, as they smeared on the windshield. They were thick enough to get a flock of seagulls interested and that takes a lot. Last time I saw bugs this thick was the time I drove thru a swarm of honeybees over in Montana. That one stopped the car as we couldn't see thru the windshield. Anyways, even the seagulls were out feeding on mayflies yesterday. When we got home my buddy said they were white and on the front of his truck. I had enough sun that I forgot to look until after I was home drinking a bunch of ice and water.

Buzzy

This is one of the hatches that helps the Lahontans recover from their seasonal spawning. For those who want a shot at sight fishing to cruising trout that come into the dawn shallows, this is it. Before the sun hits the water, a hares ear in SKINNY water can be very effective. Hands down my biggest Lenore Lahontan was slowing cruising skinny water not 25 feet from me, #16 flashback bead head hares ear. A lot of fun watching a trout suck in a meal that has your hook embedded in fake food.

PezVela

Years ago... we fished Lenore during a crazy callibeatis hatch. The water as far as you could see was covered with the bugs coming off... and not a rise to be seen! A few guys were catching them down deep with HE's, but after nearly an hour, the top came alive... fish rolling everywhere. My largest Lahontan ever was on a #14 cripple that day, and I still think about that pig.

Buzzy

Years ago... we fished Lenore during a crazy callibeatis hatch. The water as far as you could see was covered with the bugs coming off... and not a rise to be seen! A few guys were catching them down deep with HE's, but after nearly an hour, the top came alive... fish rolling everywhere. My largest Lahontan ever was on a #14 cripple that day, and I still think about that pig.
Odd lake, odd trout - seems like they rarely are surface oriented (until they are!) :D My wife and I plan to go walking along Park Lake today - going to stop at Lenore on the way back and check out the hatch towards the south end. That's a nice shoreline to wade skinny water in.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
We were driving by Lenore yesterday and the bugs were thick. I could see them in the air and also track them splat, splat,splat, as they smeared on the windshield.
Reminds me of the time we stopped to see if some Gold Wing motorcycle riders from back east needed help along the lower Big Hole. They had just driven-through a Salmon Fly hatch. Their first words were: "What the hell kind of birds did we just hit?!?!!

Last edited:

Buzzy

Hatch update: Stopped by Lenore about 11:30 this morning, the wind was beginning to kick up to almost white cap stage and as a result, I couldn't find any mayfly duns or spinners. Quite a few damselflies flitting about. @zen leecher aka bill w how about you fishing the lake and giving us a report?

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Hatch update: Stopped by Lenore about 11:30 this morning, the wind was beginning to kick up to almost white cap stage and as a result, I couldn't find any mayfly duns or spinners. Quite a few damselflies flitting about. @zen leecher aka bill w how about you fishing the lake and giving us a report?

I was driving by the lake as I was up on Blue Lake battling with the westside horde. If it makes a difference the flies were out roughly 3:30 PM.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts