Puget Sound SRC Airflo Lines

JoshThomsen

Hey guys,

New to the forum, I lived in Kitsap around the Poulsbo area until about 6 years ago. I live in the north Seattle area now. I’ve fished for seasonal pinks in marine area 9 for the past 10 years or so but mostly with gear. I’ve been getting into fly fishing slowly and would love to fish some of the beaches around the Puget sound. I’d love to get into more year round fishing opportunities such as the SRC’s. I have a 6wt Orvis Clearwater and am looking into a good intermediate line.

I’m torn betweeen the Airflo 40+ in a sink 3 or the Airflo Beach/surf line. I’ve been chatting with a fly shop in the area and they let me know they won’t be carrying the 40+ sink 3 anymore but I’m sure I can find it somewhere. I’ve done some research on the forum and found a few threads going over this but with the updated lines wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks!

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I've gotten to the point where I fish the 40+ type 3 probably 80 percent of the time. One disclaimer, I am fishing from a boat. That said I find it to be an extremely versatile line for how I like to fish. I can fish it on shallow Hood Canal beaches with minimal current no problem. Occasionally I have to strip a bit faster but not often. (To be fair I strip fast most of the time anyway). It doesn't sink THAT much faster than an intermediate. I can also cast up current, or give a few stack mends, and let it sink deeper when I want to.

The Beach line is OK. It fishes well and I like that the full line is intermediate. I just dont find it terribly enjoyable to cast. I heard the same from many of my customers, and eventually I made the switch to the 40+ intermediate because it just casts so much better. The downside is it has a floating running line, which I am not a fan of, but it casts so much better that I can over look that since I dont find myself using intermediates as much anymore.

If you can, I'd suggest casting the Beach line on your rod prior to making a decision.

JoshThomsen

I've gotten to the point where I fish the 40+ type 3 probably 80 percent of the time. One disclaimer, I am fishing from a boat. That said I find it to be an extremely versatile line for how I like to fish. I can fish it on shallow Hood Canal beaches with minimal current no problem. Occasionally I have to strip a bit faster but not often. (To be fair I strip fast most of the time anyway). It doesn't sink THAT much faster than an intermediate. I can also cast up current, or give a few stack mends, and let it sink deeper when I want to.

The Beach line is OK. It fishes well and I like that the full line is intermediate. I just dont find it terribly enjoyable to cast. I heard the same from many of my customers, and eventually I made the switch to the 40+ intermediate because it just casts so much better. The downside is it has a floating running line, which I am not a fan of, but it casts so much better that I can over look that since I dont find myself using intermediates as much anymore.

If you can, I'd suggest casting the Beach line on your rod prior to making a decision.
Thanks Nick,

Much appreciated, I’ll keep that in mind. Your YouTube channel has certainly been very helpful as well.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Another vote for 40+ type 3 here. Definitely my primary line. If you’re thinking of fishing the beaches for salmon as well as src, all the more reason to go with it. Gets you down in the zone and out of the floaty seaweed.

You do have to keep a pretty fast retrieve going if you’re on a shallow beach, but not so fast that I’ve felt like I was putting the fish off. If you like drifting little soft hackle stuff, definitely have a floating line on hand to switch out. I’m more of a big streamer fisher so it’s perfect for what I do

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Beach line fishes fine, but is a bit clunky to cast in my opinion.
As far as durability goes, it is hard to beat Airflo lines.
I’ve used my Beach line since they were first introduced something like 2.5 years ago and still going strong.
One other thing, look at the grain weight of both the Beach and 40+ in a 6 wt. The Beach is 230g and the 40+ is 260g, which might make a difference with your rod. The 5 wt is 245g, which would work on a 6 wt as well since the line is already overlined.

You might want to cast both if given the opportunity.
Have fun shopping.
SF

wetswinger

Just some observations. The 40+ also comes in an intermediate. The Beach line feels lighter on the rod than others in its weight. None floating running line gets under most of the "salad" in the warm season. Unfortunately you will probably go through a few lines before you find a favorite. So it goes. Enjoy..

JoshThomsen

Thanks guys, appreciate the insights. Definitely leaning towards the 40+ type 3. I’ll give the beach line a try, if I’m not a fan I’ll go with the type 3. Most shops around here don’t have it in stock so I’ll have to order it. Lord do I know how annoying that lovely seaweed can be on a line, but as my casting is a work in progress I think the cast-ability will make the 40+ type 3 worth it. Worst case scenario, I end up getting a second. Not the worst thing when the lines have a reputation for durability.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Just an FYI but the running line on the 40+ type 3 is intermediate. Only the intermediate version of the 40+ has the floating running line. Well, and the floating 40+ too of course. But all the other sinking versions have intermediate running lines.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
One last thing.
If I remember correctly, the 40+ sinking lines don’t come with factory loop on the front ends, on business end of things. I know my 40+ type 6 didn’t.
No a huge deal and definitely not a deal breaker for most folks, but if you’ve never made or installed your own loop you can always ask the shop to put loops on for you if you buy the 40+.
SF

JoshThomsen

I’m pretty comfortable with nail knots so that shouldn’t be a problem. So the 40+ intermediate has the floating running line but the type 3 should have an intermediate running line?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I’m pretty comfortable with nail knots so that shouldn’t be a problem. So the 40+ intermediate has the floating running line but the type 3 should have an intermediate running line?

Yep that's correct

And Brian is right. No factory loops on the 40+. Probably my only "gripe" with those lines.

Funny enough, the floating 40+ has a loop, as does the Beach line. Not sure why the others don't. But not a huge deal. I just nail knot a 12" length of 30 or 40 lb mono with a loop on that. Works just fine.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
The 40+ Type 3 is one of my favorite salmon lines. I really like the Outbound Short I/3S as well though they definitely have durability issues. I have one waiting to be returned because of running line cracks after a season. I like the line enough I keep going back though...and now it’s easy enough to drop them off at Sage which is down the street from me. I just keep two salmon weight versions on hand at all times.

I am not a fan of the 40+ intermediate for SRC though. Not sure why, I just do not like the feel when casting. Based on what folks above have said, it sounds like I am not the only one. I really like the OBS intermediate for SRC though and as of yet, have not had the durability issues I have seen with the S3. I fish that line from the beach almost exclusively for SRC.

Finding the right lines can be fun but expensive. I have spent way more time trying and matching lines to rods in the last 5 years beach fishing then I did in 16 years of fishing rivers previously. Good luck and try casting a few if you can before buying.

JoshThomsen

Yep that's correct

And Brian is right. No factory loops on the 40+. Probably my only "gripe" with those lines.

Funny enough, the floating 40+ has a loop, as does the Beach line. Not sure why the others don't. But not a huge deal. I just nail knot a 12" length of 30 or 40 lb mono with a loop on that. Works just fine.
Thanks guys,

Definitely glad the type 3 has an intermediate running line. I’ve been fishing on beaches in high winds many times and can imagine the floating section would get pushed around. I’ll post back to let you know what line I end up with, definitely leaning towards the 40+ type 3 for my first beach line.

Another question I had, I’ve heard that 6 wt rods can handle salmon at the beaches, is that true for pinks and coho’s? I’ve always thought you needed an 8 wt for salmon duty but maybe that’s just rivers. I know on a beach you can just hook them and practically back up while you’re reeling so maybe that’s why it would work. Would be great to (at least for now) use the same rod for double duty.

Last edited:

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
Thanks guys,

Definitely glad the type 3 has an intermediate running line. I’ve been fishing on beaches in high winds many times and can imagine the floating section would get pushed around. I’ll post back to let you know what line I end up with, definitely leaning towards the 40+ type 3 for my first beach line.

Another question I had, I’ve heard that 6 wt rods can handle salmon at the beaches, is that true for pinks and coho’s? I’ve always thought you needed an 8 wt for salmon duty but maybe that’s just rivers. I know on a beach you can just hook them and practically back up while you’re reeling so maybe that’s why it would work. Would be great to (at least for now) use the same rod for double duty.
A 6wt can handle most situations, including the occasional Chinook encounter, although a 7 wt might be better in that situation.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Apart from lingcod, I can’t think of a fish I’ve caught on a fly in the Sound that you couldn’t land with a good 6wt. I’ve brought chinook, coho, chum, src, and even a steelhead to hand on 6wts.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts