Puget Sound SRC Airflo Lines

David Loy

Senior Moment
I agree with most in that the full intermediate Beach does the job, but isn’t a line I like to cast. I’ve gone to the 40+ Fast Intermediate and it’s a much better line to cast, but a little too heavy IMO. I’ve bought a couple (6 & 7wts) from Emerald Angler in a West Seattle and they have an Airflo factory machine that puts a nice welded loop on front and rear, just ask.

I know Rio is a four letter word here, but I’m really liking the Camolux Intermediate with it’s 30’ head and it’s not hugely overweighted. Not clear, but the mottled color looks pretty natural in the water. Designed for lakes, but I’ve read a few guys rec it for the salt too. I haven’t fished it enough to have a failure, but my untested theory is that their failures mostly happen with monofilament core (clear) lines, versus braided cores like the Intouch Camolux. Time will tell.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I agree with most in that the full intermediate Beach does the job, but isn’t a line I like to cast. I’ve gone to the 40+ Fast Intermediate and it’s a much better line to cast, but a little too heavy IMO. I’ve bought a couple (6 & 7wts) from Emerald Angler in a West Seattle and they have an Airflo factory machine that puts a nice welded loop on front and rear, just ask.

I know Rio is a four letter word here, but I’m really liking the Camolux Intermediate with it’s 30’ head and it’s not hugely overweighted. Not clear, but the mottled color looks pretty natural in the water. Designed for lakes, but I’ve read a few guys rec it for the salt too. I haven’t fished it enough to have a failure, but my untested theory is that their failures mostly happen with monofilament core (clear) lines, versus braided cores like the Intouch Camolux. Time will tell.

Airflo has some clear options as well. Personally I haven’t seen signs that the fish get spooked, but I do notice that mono core lines have issues with memory. RIO does have some great lines, but for me the reason RIO is a “four letter word” is that I get maybe 20 outings before the outer coatings crack apart, the loop comes off, or both. In the case of the Coastal Quick Shooter it also needed to be stretched every time I used it (it was one of the first to go under my knife today). They cast well enough but I’m not willing to buy a new line every month when I can buy an Airflo or Scientific Anglers line that will last me 10-20x longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHD

David Loy

Senior Moment
Perhaps you missed my point. The Quickshooter and Outbound lines are clear, and therefore have monofilament cores. I’ve thought for a long time that maybe they fail because the PVC outer layer starts sliding or working loose from the mono core, and the failure follows shortly. I don’t know this to be true, but it’s my theory. Braided core lines (not clear then) have more grip for the PVC to bond to, and may last longer. Particularly so if they have limited stretch, as with “Intouch”.
So my question to the board here is: have many folks had braided core Intouch Rio lines fail?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
So my question to the board here is: have many folks had braided core Intouch Rio lines fail?

Have had them fail.
Currently working on another going in that direction.
OBS Type III.
Looking for the Vegas odds on what gives out first, the front loop or the running line.
It’s a dead heat now with both starting to fail.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Perhaps you missed my point. The Quickshooter and Outbound lines are clear, and therefore have monofilament cores. I’ve thought for a long time that maybe they fail because the PVC outer layer starts sliding or working loose from the mono core, and the failure follows shortly. I don’t know this to be true, but it’s my theory. Braided core lines (not clear then) have more grip for the PVC to bond to, and may last longer. Particularly so if they have limited stretch, as with “Intouch”.

I have an Intouch OBS that is sitting on my counter waiting to go back (see pic below showing 5 cracks). I really like fishing the OBS. I’ll still fish them For SRC and salmon I like them so much. They have a durability issue they need to address though.

877279FC-A5C3-4003-82BE-9C71BB3C8926.jpeg

David Loy

Senior Moment
Thanks guys. Apparently then it’s an issue with salt water fatigue? I don’t frequent other forums but this group seems to be the only crowd to experience this problem. Surely there would be noise if the failure was across the FF spectrum.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Thanks guys. Apparently then it’s an issue with salt water fatigue? I don’t frequent other forums but this group seems to be the only crowd to experience this problem. Surely there would be noise if the failure was across the FF spectrum.

Perhaps, but it really shouldn’t be. RIO makes saltwater lines, and no other fly line I’ve owned by other brands has these issues. Also, the RIO Coastal Quick Shooter was literally developed by a local guide for fly fishing in the Puget Sound for sea run cutthroat. I bought one at his recommendation and it had silly amounts of memory and cracked apart quickly. I contacted RIO and they sent me a new one that had the same issues. I contacted RIO and they sent me a new one. Same story so I stopped contacting them and gave up on that line.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!

It’s not just here. Rio lines just aren’t very durable. Every one I have had has failed, so I don’t buy them any more.

mtskibum16

Another option for lines without loops is to build one using a heat gun or the quick and dirty way (loop over the end of the fly line and use two nail knots to close the loop). I accidentally sliced off the loop of my SA Sink 30 cold and fixed it the quick and dirty way. Not my idea, someone on this forum mentioned it as a solution....maybe @mtskibum16. Held up well to multiple fish including a few chum.

BTW, that is another line I have enjoyed fishing for salmon. Short head though so it’s a clunky caster. Effective for heavy dumbbell eyes and wind.

Please don’t judge my shoddy nail knots. Done hastily with fish biting and held up so I have not redone :).

View attachment 240500
Yeah that's my go-to method because I'm lazy and always have what I need to do it. I have lines rigged this way that I've fished for years without issue. Even had one of these loops hold up to a prolonged battle with a marine mammal. :D One of these days I plan to learn how to weld loops though.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
My Rio OB short is still working but I have to say that Rio is just taking our money and doesn’t seem to care about improving their products. That said I will not buy Rio lines for any fishing situation. If you’re company does not care about the quality of the products they unload on the public/customer, then you aint gettin my money.

Merle

Even into the teeth of the wind. I stood up through my wife’s sunroof as she drove through my school’s parking lot at 15 and then 20 mph. Casts good even then.

That is awesome! I applaud your ingenuity in testing out how the line performs in the wind.

-andy

David Loy

Senior Moment
It’s not just here. Rio lines just aren’t very durable. Every one I have had has failed, so I don’t buy them any more.
I have moved to Airflo lines almost exclusively, but while I like the floating Beach fairly well, I don’t care for the full, clear intermediate too much. For now I’m moving away from clear (monofilament core) lines because they don’t handle as well as braided cores. And, in spite of being clear, I think they are visible to the fish too. I like the 40+ Fast Intermediate. It handles and casts fairly well, but it’s pretty heavy. I might try going down a size. I had high hopes for the Rio Camolux though, and will use it until it fails. It handles well, has the weight and head length right (for me) and looks really stealthy in the water.
Feeling like Goldilocks.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I agree with many of the comments here. I'd make the head on the Beach line just a bit longer. I think that would help eliminate the clunkiness. The line does seem thicker, Ive noticed when spooling up reels that the beach line takes up more space than the 40+ of the same line weight. The running line seems different as well, limper and just has a different feel.

As far as the color change, that was something I thought I would hate on the Beach line, but it ended up not bothering me at all. In fact I actually think I prefer it without the color change. My reasoning doesn't have much to do with me though. I don't pay much attention to the color change and instead rely on feel and line speed for my own casting so I could go either way there. Where the lack of color change is an advantage is when I have people out who are either not strong casters, or are not familiar with casting shooting heads. I find that many folks get hung up on focusing on the color change, it kinda distracts them, and messes with their casting. I noticed that with the Beach line that people tend to just cast the line as they would a normal line, letting the rod load up more by feel and are able to focus on the casting without being distracted. So for me I am totally fine with not having a color change.

I am a big fan of factory loops, at least with good, durable lines like Airflo so I'd like to see that as well.

I havent fished a Rio line in quite a while, and really have no plans to do so moving forward. I've heard people say that their warm water lines hold up well, but up here in the cold salt they certainly don't. At least the newer lines. The older, clear headed OBS used to be decent in that department. I wish I could still find those lines. My Meridian 6 wt is a dream to cast with a 7 wt OBS.

I too have relaxed on line color, specifically my desire to have a clear head. I wouldn't want some obnoxiously bright color, but all of the Airflo lines I fish are pretty neutral color. The type 7 is black, the 5 is blue, the 3 is green, and the intermediate is soft of an aqua marine green. I can live with those.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts