1 June opener MA10

skyrise

more really good reports on FB with what I would call pretty darn good fishing in the bubble for chinook. Is this the best year for the bubble in like 10 years?

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
My trolling game must be week, because I fished it yesterday, hooking 7 but only landing 1. But that one was 23” plus, so there is that. Couple that with a couple hours of flounder fishing and it made for a happy Father’s Day!
They are definitely running a touch bigger than previous years, and seem fairly willing to eat trolled stuff. I was completely unable to get anything to look at a fly yesterday though. Based on stomach contents they seem keyed in on crab larvae, and they were all hanging out 30-40’ down. Any suggestions on a good approach in that situation?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
They are definitely running a touch bigger than previous years, and seem fairly willing to eat trolled stuff. I was completely unable to get anything to look at a fly yesterday though. Based on stomach contents they seem keyed in on crab larvae, and they were all hanging out 30-40’ down. Any suggestions on a good approach in that situation?
Not really, my boy and I just trolled around, here there and everywhere. Our best luck was out in 500 plus feet of water, on the East side of the trench between Meadow and Kingston. We didn’t touch anything around Jeff.

I just used Clouser a behind a flasher.

Rogue Fanatic

Last year bucktailing with clousers was as effective as any technique I used all year. Just big boils and charges all day and all season long. This year? I haven't hooked anything shallower than 48' and I am fishing in the same spot as Irafly. 7 to the boat this year and (6 clipped) and all were crapping krill. Of the ones retained, no herring or anchovies in the gut, just chitinous stuff indicating krill, mysids, etc.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Last year bucktailing with clousers was as effective as any technique I used all year. Just big boils and charges all day and all season long. This year? I haven't hooked anything shallower than 48' and I am fishing in the same spot as Irafly. 7 to the boat this year and (6 clipped) and all were crapping krill. Of the ones retained, no herring or anchovies in the gut, just chitinous stuff indicating krill, mysids, etc.
4 of the 7 we hooked on Sunday were in 25 of water, but others that day were fishing down at 120 plus. I haven’t seen a single fish on the surface yet.

Joepa

Joe from PA
WFF Supporter
Thinking about doing it this Saturday and making the ~15 mile run to MA10 from Everett. It's been a while since I've fished down there. I haven't had much success with resident coho north of the narrows this time if the year but I'm itching to get out. SOP will be to bucktail in the rips and look for bait / birds closer to shore.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Got to the beach this morning at 5:00 only to find the gate closed.
Contemplated going to a different beach but breakfast sounded better based on the tides.
Would have been nice to get out on the water after being dry landed for the past month, but better tides are on the horizon plus crabbing.
I’m looking forward to July 16th for some better options then MA 10 beaches.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Contemplated going to a different beach but breakfast sounded better based on the tides.
Would have been nice to get out on the water after being dry landed for the past month, but better tides are on the horizon plus crabbing.
SF
I should have done the same.

Put in a few hours this morning on two different MA 10 beaches. Nary a nibble.

Also, are we getting into coho season or wrapping up chum? Based on the pissy, windy, chilly weather this morning, I could have sworn it was mid November.....

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I ended up having another cup of coffee and headed back to the beach.
The gate was open this time.
Fished an hour on both sides of the tide change. Water only moved good for about 15 minutes after change. I couldn’t ever get the angle I wanted.
One whimpy tug and saw a couple little fish jump. Very few birds around.
There was a nice coho chop though.
Most the boats were out in the shipping lanes.

As far as the weather goes, I hope it stays like this all summer. ;)
SF

Scudley Do Right

SF
I thought all those walks were training for the hoof back to the car.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I ended up having another cup of coffee and headed back to the beach.
The gate was open this time.
Fished an hour on both sides of the tide change. Water only moved good for about 15 minutes after change. I couldn’t ever get the angle I wanted.
One whimpy tug and saw a couple little fish jump. Very few birds around.
There was a nice coho chop though.
Most the boats were out in the shipping lanes.

As far as the weather goes, I hope it stays like this all summer. ;)
SF
I am honestly jealous of folks who appreciate Seattle weather. I am better with it than I used to be. Maybe in another 6-7 years I’ll appreciate late June weather like we had today.

As far as fishing, every boat I saw blasted by me without slowing. I‘ll probably give it a shot tomorrow AM as well. That being said, I’ll probably switch to SRC fairly early assuming it’s slow again.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Late bad report for Friday - couldn’t find them at first, and when we did, couldn’t get them to eat.

I spent a while dredging as deep as I could get with a little pink fly to try to entice some of the fish we were marking at 30-40’, but alas, they weren’t playing. But then, they weren’t wanting to snap at jigs or eat trolled gear either.

The only one we got was trolled out from below a weedline, and had been eating amphipods of some variety. Still haven’t found a fish with a baitfish inside it this year, but then there’s not a whole lot of bait around where the fish have been.

Blktailhunter

Late bad report for Friday - couldn’t find them at first, and when we did, couldn’t get them to eat.

I spent a while dredging as deep as I could get with a little pink fly to try to entice some of the fish we were marking at 30-40’, but alas, they weren’t playing. But then, they weren’t wanting to snap at jigs or eat trolled gear either.

The only one we got was trolled out from below a weedline, and had been eating amphipods of some variety. Still haven’t found a fish with a baitfish inside it this year, but then there’s not a whole lot of bait around where the fish have been.
All the fish I have cleaned the past few weeks had krill in their stomachs,

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts