NFR Unpredictable Nature at it's finest!

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout

Wolverine on the coast?!?!? We live in crazy times. I believe some time back we had someone say they thought they saw a Wolverine at Crab, RF? I know I thought impossible. Now, who knows?

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Must be a 0ne legged animal. In one picture it looked like it was standing on one leg.

I think in the process of social distancing the animals that you never see are coming out because of the people staying at home. Just a shitty opinion.
You are on to it. I read Yellowstone and other places have creatures out and about and frolicking, having a good time unbothered by cars and man.

That Wolverine had to cross freeways and highways and small roads to get that far away to the Ocean. Less traffic, no doubt, played a part. Pretty neat to see!

Jim Travers

Wolverine on the coast?!?!? We live in crazy times. I believe some time back we had someone say they thought they saw a Wolverine at Crab, RF? I know I thought impossible. Now, who knows?
Wolverines are female wolfs. Wouldn't be surprised to see one at Crab, there's a break in the space/time continuum there so you never know who or what'll show up on a given day.

cdnred

Reading the article, the reporter goes on to say "And no need to worry - wolverines are not dangerous to people, Lewis said..? Don't know where this reporter went to school but wolverines are one of the most dangerous animals in the animal kingdom. There have been cases where wolverines will fight grizzly bears over food and win. Old time trappers could put you on the edge of your seat telling you some scary stories about wolverines. Lets hope people are wise enough not to take this reporter's comments to heart and think a wolverine is simply a rabbit in a different coat..

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
THAT is very cool! In all of my years in the outdoors, particularly in the wilds of Montana I have only seen 2 (saw the same 1 twice after it had followed us for a mile or so.). Wolverines are afraid of nothing as cdn said and have & will absolutely devastate cabins/camps/trap lines.

Hem

One year I was descending from Gallatin Peak and spotted a wolverine crossing a scree field. This was at 10,500 ft.
I had another one try to steal an elk quarter. I had placed 2 quarters in a tree for the night and next morning one was missing. Followed a drag mark around to the North side of the ridge and reclaimed my 65lb hind buried in the snow. Tit for tat

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Like a lot of the other guys on the board who have logged more than our share of time in the woods I have only been fortunate to see one wolverine.
It was on the summit of a dirt road pass in southwest Colorado. We had turned off the jeep and were admiring the view when a snarling lion-colored beast came running over a ridge- possibly chasing a small rodent. When it finally spotted us it calmly rambled back over the same ridge. Took a while to run through my mental mammal flash cards to realize that we'd just seen a wolverine.
Years later one of the Forest Service T&E guys took some air out of this great experience when he told me that it was probably an animal that Marty Stoffer had filmed and released.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
You folks who have seen a wild Wolverine are so lucky, I am very envious. Like many of you, have had close encounters with Mink, otter, weasel, skunks. Have been pretty close to Badgers on quite a few occasions while helping out at Turnbull NWR near Cheney, and other scattered eastern WA scrublands, but a Wolverine would be a thrill of a lifetime!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts