Wading boots for the salt?

Bowbonehead

I have both the Simms Flats boot and the Vapor salt and have been very happy with them I rinse them every day on a trip and they get a good soaking when I get home from trips

Ron McNeal

Remember Jimmy The Greek?..........
I have made the recommendation before in similar threads. My go to for salt are Mares Dive Boots.

Easy on. Easy off. Warm. Lightweight. No worries about corrison or rust. Affordable. Does double duty as a great option for use in a float tube with flippers.
I took your advice and have been very, very satisfied. And, as you've pointed out, they're great for using when tubing.:):)

wetswinger

I have made the recommendation before in similar threads. My go to for salt are Mares Dive Boots.

Easy on. Easy off. Warm. Lightweight. No worries about corrison or rust. Affordable. Does double duty as a great option for use in a float tube with flippers.
Do you wear them with stocking foot waders? If so, how many sizes bigger do you fit them? Is the sole supportive enough to walk on barnacles and oyster beds? Thanks....

Furled

Do you wear them with stocking foot waders? If so, how many sizes bigger do you fit them? Is the sole supportive enough to walk on barnacles and oyster beds? Thanks....
Yes. I wear them with stocking foot waders. I have a size 12 foot. I ordered the size 13 dive boot. The sole is supportive enough to walk on barnacles and oyster beds. However, the neoprene upper will tear if you catch it on a solid, hard object like an oyster bed. After about a year of use 3 to 4 times a week I actually did catch the side on a oyster shell. It was an easy repair with Aquaseal.

wetswinger

Yes. I wear them with stocking foot waders. I have a size 12 foot. I ordered the size 13 dive boot. The sole is supportive enough to walk on barnacles and oyster beds. However, the neoprene upper will tear if you catch it on a solid, hard object like an oyster bed. After about a year of use 3 to 4 times a week I actually did catch the side on a oyster shell. It was an easy repair with Aquaseal.
Nice. I used NRS booties for WW kayaking for years. They were stout enough when we'd portage out of the Green R. Gorge. Never thought about them with waders use. Those Mares look much sturdier then my old NRS. Thanks...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It would be nice if a company made a boot designed for salt but not just specifically towards flats use.
Not that you couldn’t use them here, but most designs I see seem directed towards flats fishing and ads for salt specific boots always show someone fishing in nice, warm tropical waters....which isn’t a bad thing ;)

It would be nice to have something designed that you could wear here locally in the salt but use them in freshwater as well.
It seems most boots are designed for the other way around without the salt in mind.
SF

Last edited:

kuips

It would be nice if a company made a boot designed for salt but not just specifically towards flats use.
Not that you couldn’t use the here, but most designs I see seem directed towards flats fishing and ads for salt specific boots always show someone fishing in nice, warm tropical waters....which isn’t a bad thing ;)

It would be nice to have something designed that you could wear here locally in the salt but use them in freshwater as well.
It seems most boots are designed for the other way around without the salt in mind.
SF
I would 100% use my flats boots locally in salt, and I do wear in freshwater all the time. Why not?

circlespey

I’ve been using very very old Simms guide bootfoots (Maybe 2005 vintage) that are retired from winter steelheading, Bootfoots = no metal. I dont even rinse them. I did have to replace the soles a few years ago.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I chose Simms Freestone boots specifically for this, the salt. I fish the salt a lot, and with a quick rinse with the garden hose afterwards they have been fantastic last couple of years.
As you can see the eyelets are thick plastic, upper lace hooks are beefy painted metal. No signs of rusts.
IMG_20200602_094251.jpg

Zak

I just tried out my new $25 Frog Toggs Rana II bootfoot hip waders and they're fine. I got them for the beach because I don't want to trash my nice wading boots and I wanted a simple kit for a quick jaunt to the beach.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I cant speak to longevity, as I've only had them for about 10 months, but so far these Orvis boots are the most comfortable, and more importantly, provide the most traction on the beach, out of every boot Ive worn.

The Michelin rubber thing seemed gimmicky when I first bought them, but I have been insanely impressed.

I dont fish the beach as much as I used to, but I do some. I also wear them in my boat all the time where they get exposed to salt launching and retrieving the boat.

I will definitely buy another pair when these give out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts