Wading boots for the salt?

Bruce Baker

I have a pair of the Orvis Pro Guide boots and I have to agree with @Nick Clayton about their comfort. Especially the soles. I never walked in anything so cushiony. I do have an issue with the upper part of the boot just above the ankles. After wearing for a while, they make me a little sore. But it is only when out of the water and walking. They are the cat's meow when wearing in the water. I actually had an email exchange with the lead designer of these boots and the Pro Approach Wading Shoes and he told the boots do need to be broken in a little.

Bruce Baker

Just a quick resurrection as I just became aware that Simms has just come out with a saltwater wading boot, the FreeSalt Boot -- https://www.simmsfishing.com/catalog/product/view/id/60303/s/freesalt-boot/category/945/

FreeSalt Boot

Porter

I'm a 10.5. I wish they made half sizes, foot is squished in 11's and to much room in the 12. 11.5 be perfect.

JesseC

I’ve been using these this year. So far so good.

Super easy to get off and on. Stocking foot waders are practically disposable in the salt. It’s not so much a corrosion issue, but the gravel getting in the boot destroys neoprene seams.

I’ll admit, it’s tough to leave my sick redington and Patagonia waders at home - not much of a flex with these knuckle draggers, but I’ve learned to just go with the flow.

5weight

Used sneakers from Goodwill for about 15 bucks last about 2-3 years. Buy 2 sizes bigger than shoe size. After all, it's just a walk on the beach.

MileHighFlyGuy

Just a quick resurrection as I just became aware that Simms has just come out with a saltwater wading boot, the FreeSalt Boot -- https://www.simmsfishing.com/catalog/product/view/id/60303/s/freesalt-boot/category/945/

FreeSalt Boot
Bruce, do you know who might have the FreeSalts in stock? I looked online a couple weeks ago with no luck.

As far as other salt tolerant boots, I have an old pair of the original Patagonia boots with aluminum traction bars that I use in the salt all the time with no corrosion. I got some low end Simms to replace them, and the eyelets on them corroded the first time I used them. I’m back to using the 8 year old Patagonias. They’re getting pretty disreputable. But Patagonia does appear to understand how to design a boot that lasts.

Bruce Baker

Bruce, do you know who might have the FreeSalts in stock? I looked online a couple weeks ago with no luck.

As far as other salt tolerant boots, I have an old pair of the original Patagonia boots with aluminum traction bars that I use in the salt all the time with no corrosion. I got some low end Simms to replace them, and the eyelets on them corroded the first time I used them. I’m back to using the 8 year old Patagonias. They’re getting pretty disreputable. But Patagonia does appear to understand how to design a boot that lasts.
No, I do not know what shops in Washington have them in stock. I was on the Simms website and liked on the new arrivals tab.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
My Freestones are in for repair.
The boots have held up well but a odd problem occurred with the insole.
If they exchange them or give me a credit, I’ll pull the trigger on the new salt model boots.

With that said, I’m really liking how light weight the new pair of Fly Weight boots are compared to the Freestones. The Vibram soles are also a lot nicer then the rubber soles on the Freestones.
It will be interesting to see how they hold up to barnacles and oysters. I’m thinking probably not very well.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
My Freestones are in for repair.
The boots have held up well but a odd problem occurred with the insole.
If they exchange them or give me a credit, I’ll pull the trigger on the new salt model boots.

With that said, I’m really liking how light weight the new pair of Fly Weight boots are compared to the Freestones. The Vibram soles are also a lot nicer then the rubber soles on the Freestones.
It will be interesting to see how they hold up to barnacles and oysters. I’m thinking probably not very well.
SF

I love the Flyweights as well. I have been wearing them since January and have held up very well to date with probably ~ 50 saltwater sessions on the books. There is a small amount of corrosion on the hook eyelets but I am really bad about rinsing. As I write this, they are currently sitting in the bed of my truck wet and covered in grit. I have fished the last three days and have not rinsed them once. I should go do it now but 3 days of 3:45 AM wake ups calls have me feeling lazy. Plus, I may head out after work tomorrow, so....might as well wait until after that :).

colinb

Goodwill tennis shoes a couple sizes big seem to get my pa through quite a few seasons and he’s on the water multiple times a week. I use the rag tag boots on their way out that I’ve had for years. When those go I have another shitty pair that will take place‍. When my soles wear out beyond wading slick rivers and pieces are falling off that’s when they get promoted to beach use.

Zak

I have made the recommendation before in similar threads. My go to for salt are Mares Dive Boots.

Easy on. Easy off. Warm. Lightweight. No worries about corrison or rust. Affordable. Does double duty as a great option for use in a float tube with flippers.
I got these dive boots on your recommendation and, thank you! They are great for the beach and fit in my float tube scuba fins. As you said, warm, lightweight, easy on, and no metal. I'm very happy with them.

Furled

I got these dive boots on your recommendation and, thank you! They are great for the beach and fit in my float tube scuba fins. As you said, warm, lightweight, easy on, and no metal. I'm very happy with them.
Thank you for the followup. On a float tube, when the wind comes up and blows me across the lake, being able to just slip off my fins and walk back is convenient. Mares seems to make a quality product. The Mares dive bag is great for carrying waders and float tubes because the mesh let's the gear dry out.

Reactions: Zak

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts