Who needs a horse?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Take my word for it that back in the late 1960's, "weed free hay" was neither good nor mandatory. And the dude was trying to sell it for $10 a bag. All it was good for was making rope.

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
how much you wanna bet they also were holding bull trout by the gills at some point? notice no net, fancy people need not handle fish well.

WonkyWapiti

About 6 years ago I was hiking into some backcountry area near Fernie to go fishing. My buddy and I saw a guide at the trailhead that was hiking in also to meet some clients that were being helicoptered into the area. I thought to myself, well first off I guess I picked a pretty special place to fish and secondly kinda sad that the clients of his were gonna miss out on so much beautiful country by not hiking in.

long_rod_silvers

I could swear when I floated the middle fork Salmon the outfitter flew everyone in to an air strip in a national forrest....maybe things have changed.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
I could swear when I floated the middle fork Salmon the outfitter flew everyone in to an air strip in a national forrest....maybe things have changed.
Middle Fork Guard Station at Shafer Meadows. I have flown into Shafer and rafted to the confluence. One of my wildest rafting trips. It is a hairy run. I thought I sunk us a few times. No guide, we went blind.

long_rod_silvers

Middle Fork Guard Station at Shafer Meadows. I have flown into Shafer and rafted to the confluence. One of my wildest rafting trips. It is a hairy run. I thought I sunk us a few times. No guide, we went blind.
Yep, that's sounds like what we did.
We went nonguided too, was a blast.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I think that airstrip is an exception to the general rule prohibiting motorized vehicles and aircraft from designated wilderness areas. SF Flathead (Bob Marshall Wilderness) has allowed aircraft for emergency evacuations, like during the forest fires three years ago, but even construction projects like the bridge rebuild near Bear Creek, everything was brought in by mule pack train, when it would have been so much easier, and possibly cheaper to allow the contractor to fly materials in by helicopter.

GLC

This reminds me of a experience I had in July 2002 while fishing the Gros Ventre river near Kelly, Wyoming. While dry fly fishing, a very nice run, a Sikorsky UH60 Black Hawk military helicopter approach from downstream and hovered over my position long enough and low enough to make me feel uncomfortable and then moved along. About 5 minutes later a second UH60 helicopter again approached from downstream, but this one continued upstream about a half of a mile and landed.

The following day I was at a BBQ at a friends house in Jackson Hole and I mentioned my experience and was told that was Vice President Dick Cheney out to fish the evening hatch and that this, was quite common when he was in town. I was told that the first UH60 was for security and scouting purposes.

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
This reminds me of a experience I had in July 2002 while fishing the Gros Ventre river near Kelly, Wyoming. While dry fly fishing, a very nice run, a Sikorsky UH60 Black Hawk military helicopter approach from downstream and hovered over my position long enough and low enough to make me feel uncomfortable and then moved along. About 5 minutes later a second UH60 helicopter again approached from downstream, but this one continued upstream about a half of a mile and landed.

The following day I was at a BBQ at a friends house in Jackson Hole and I mentioned my experience and was told that was Vice President Dick Cheney out to fish the evening hatch and that this, was quite common when he was in town. I was told that the first UH60 was for security and scouting purposes.
Did he hit you in the face with a cast?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts