Fishing from a boat in the sound.

WT

For those of you who fish for SRC in the sound how do you go about it? Do you drop anchor then cast? Use and electric trolling motor? Anchor up at yer favorite beach, get out and cast from shore? Something else I haven't even thought of yet? I imagine there's many ways to do it, I'm just curious about how some of you chase these fish from your small craft. Any info is appreciated.

Jake

I stop the boat at the top of the beach, then treat it as a drift boat in current and fish until I need to reposition.

Using an anchor would complicate and slow things down.

If I had a south sound skiff or was guiding I might use a pole in some areas like flats guides do, and occasionally use it as a temporary anchor, but often beaches are too steep to make that worthwhile.

I’ve never gotten out and waded a beach because I’ve never felt the need. The boat I use is basically a bass boat and has a good casting deck in front and a casting platform in back. It also has a very shallow draft, so I just don’t see the need to wade.

Tom Palmer

Bow mounted electric motor with GPS works best for me. I can virtual anchor or control my drift while fishing with the tide.

I've never experienced boat crowding when fishing for SRC in Puget Sound.

JamesRPL+

I bet the anchor rope helps land the Cuttys, just haul the rope and untangle the leader, line and throw the anchor as a way to release the fish

WT

I motor drift about 98% of the time. I do anchor on occasion, but only when conditions are right.
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "motor drift?" With the current? Up current? Wind? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm in the dark on fishing from a boat in the salt, with a motor and no oars.

Buzzy

Far from an expert here but have spent sometime fishing the salt from a friends 14 boat. Most of the time there are three of us in this too little boat for three adults so we troll the shorelines. The guy on the tiller trolls exclusively. The other two can either troll or cast to shore, swing and troll or retrieve. I like to keep the boat close enough to shore that we can cast to the shoreline. This can be very visual on good days - we can see the SRC follow the fly and see the take. Very cool, lots of fun. But there are many days when this technique also puts us past good water far too quickly. And with three guys in the boat, there really isn't much of an option to motor troll, and drifting usually results in the boat swinging. Too many rods to have much swing.

Last fall we were fishing a section of Hood Canal where a flat sloping point creates some interesting current seams. There are often several fish in different spots either side of the point. Trolling puts us past this sweet spot far too quickly. I watched a guide work this point (damn - he got there before us so we had to bypass). He was using a bow mount electric to hold position and make minor moves. Sweet deal.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "motor drift?" With the current? Up current? Wind? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm in the dark on fishing from a boat in the salt, with a motor and no oars.

Basically I drift the beach using my motor to make small adjustments for boat position and speed as necessary. When there is little current and Im not getting much drift I will pop into forward for a second or two every couple few casts to insure we are covering water and not casting at the same rock for an hour. If there is a lot of current I'll use reverse to slow us down when I want to make sure to cover a certain part of the beach. Also using mostly reverse to keep the boat in proper position as the current and or wind is constantly pushing us closer to shore or out of casting position etc.

I almost always drift with the current. Controlling the boat against the current can be a pain.

Smalma

I agree that a bow mounted electric (salt water tolerate) is a great way to go. Nothing works better at holding or slowing the boat down into a current that an electric on the bow; much more control than on the stern. With practice an angler with foot control for the electric can make motor adjustment while fishing or even casting.

Wind socks are also great; I use carabiners on the boat side end of the tow roped to allow quick changes of the attachment point (use one or more of locations -bow, stern (2) and side)) often using to socks to achieve the desired boat aspect in relation to the water being fished.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts